RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 10:23 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Plugs

Should I attempt to replace the spark plugs myself if i have never done it before or should I save up and have a shop do it? If I should try it myself what plugs should I use in my 07 350 rx
Old 11-09-19, 11:03 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

It depends on how experienced you are at working on cars. This is a tough job and you need a decent set of tools. It will take you 3 - 4 hours maybe longer.
Old 11-09-19, 11:35 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by DennisMik
It depends on how experienced you are at working on cars. This is a tough job and you need a decent set of tools. It will take you 3 - 4 hours maybe longer.
i have a decent set of older tools from like 2002 but don’t know if I have the sockets needed. I have never really done work on any car myself and I know I would need a plug socket etc but again not sure since I really don’t have any experience per say working on my own vehicle.
Old 11-09-19, 02:39 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

When I did my RX330, I had never done a traverse V6 myself. Only L4's and L6's, mostly Toyota and BMW's and those are CAKE. While it's pretty straight forward for the RX looking back, you do need time and tools. I was lucky to have a spare car as the 330 was out of commission for a day. There are a lot of moving parts. While you are in there, it is good to do the PCV valve, all intake gaskets, and a good cleaning of the throttle body as you'll probably never pull those out ever again. Saved a ton of money versus going to the dealer/indy but I am mechanically inclined.

If you look hard enough, there are DIY guides floating around for your 2GR-FE engine here and/or on Toyota forums. I found one for my 330 but thats a different engine from the 350.
Old 11-09-19, 04:42 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
When I did my RX330, I had never done a traverse V6 myself. Only L4's and L6's, mostly Toyota and BMW's and those are CAKE. While it's pretty straight forward for the RX looking back, you do need time and tools. I was lucky to have a spare car as the 330 was out of commission for a day. There are a lot of moving parts. While you are in there, it is good to do the PCV valve, all intake gaskets, and a good cleaning of the throttle body as you'll probably never pull those out ever again. Saved a ton of money versus going to the dealer/indy but I am mechanically inclined.

If you look hard enough, there are DIY guides floating around for your 2GR-FE engine here and/or on Toyota forums. I found one for my 330 but thats a different engine from the 350.
yea If I do attempt it myself because I would love to save the money vs doing it at the shop down the street where they want 600 bucks give or take; I probably would have to rent a car for the day in order to be able to get out n about for a short time. But as far as the back 3 go; what am I facing in terms of having To remove all those parts etc
Old 11-09-19, 04:45 PM
matts6887
Racer

Also where is the Pcv valve at? U how much is it? I’m probably not gonna bother with gaskets as I’ve never had to have them replaced and I’ve had the rx Almost 3 years and haven’t had any oil seepage issues etc
Old 11-09-19, 04:50 PM
matts6887
Racer

One other thing; what size socket fits the bolts that hold the front and rear coil packs in place
Old 11-10-19, 05:07 AM
Turbo123
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did it takes about 4 hours but like guys said need a new plug socket I did the rear coils as well.I think it was easier than the 02 sensors on bank one I just did.
Old 11-10-19, 06:02 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

coil packs are held in place by 10mm bolts. Read the sticky for spark plug DIY for 1st gen RX..its the same on 2nd gen...for pointers https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-patience.html
Old 11-10-19, 07:40 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Good luck on those back plugs ... I enjoy working on cars, but when our local Toyota independent installs the Denso Iridium plugs for $189 ... I just pay for it every 120k ... Oh, and the PCV valve is very easy, but I would be surprised if you need it. I replaced ours at 210k and it was fine, but since I had it out, I replaced it anyway.

Last edited by cdnewton; 11-10-19 at 07:47 AM. Reason: pcv valve vs O2 sensor
Old 11-10-19, 09:29 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well I think I can tackle the front ones myself as they are right out front there once u take the engine cover off. But I may call around and see what places would charge for just the rear 3 only. Also what is the “ideal” plug to get as far as what brand? I’ve heard both ngk and and denso are good.
Old 11-10-19, 12:43 PM
jeremy93ls
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just my 2 cents here, but if you're not feeling confident and aren't very experienced with car repairs, I'd let someone else do it. This is coming from someone who HATES paying anyone to do anything for me because I'm a cheap-a$$. I haven't needed to tackle the rear plugs/coils yet, but it looks to be quite a job.

If you already had a spare car to drive while you do this after work/weekends, I'd say go for it and learn about your car. I've been tinkering/fixing my cars for years, but I've made some mistakes that cost me lots of money and even more time.

I'm not saying you shouldn't attempt it, but sometimes its worth paying someone else to do a job you don't feel confident doing (yet). And, you'd have your car back the next day without a stripped spark plug thread or lost bolt down the intake...
The following users liked this post:
Davyboy (11-12-19)
Old 11-10-19, 05:11 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
yea If I do attempt it myself because I would love to save the money vs doing it at the shop down the street where they want 600 bucks give or take; I probably would have to rent a car for the day in order to be able to get out n about for a short time. But as far as the back 3 go; what am I facing in terms of having To remove all those parts etc
If I had to do it again, I'd say I could tackle it in 3 hours. First round took me 7. Only costs like $180 in parts which included all 6 Denso plugs, all intake gaskets, and the PCV valve.

Also where is the Pcv valve at? U how much is it? I’m probably not gonna bother with gaskets as I’ve never had to have them replaced and I’ve had the rx Almost 3 years and haven’t had any oil seepage issues etc
If you are looking down at the engine from the front, it's on the rear bank valve cover towards the passenger side. While it's not mandatory, it's cheap and stupid easy to do, might as well do it while you can see it.

Also, these are intake gaskets, not valve cover gaskets. While odds are low (like the PCV), if these go bad then you'll get issues with misfires and idling.

One other thing; what size socket fits the bolts that hold the front and rear coil packs in place
10mm, the spark plug socket itself I can't remember off the top of my head.

Well I think I can tackle the front ones myself as they are right out front there once u take the engine cover off. But I may call around and see what places would charge for just the rear 3 only. Also what is the “ideal” plug to get as far as what brand? I’ve heard both ngk and and denso are good.
Either is fine, but OEM is Denso. I like Denso more, Honda's tend to use NGK. Be careful online, lots of fakes, if the price is too good to be true, it is.
Old 11-10-19, 09:21 PM
Turbo123
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you screw up and need your car pay someone. ITS not the worst job took me about 6 hours and now I feel I could do it in 4 hours.The key is that back intake bolt can cost you alot of time .My back plugs where in good but came out .I think with the risk I'd pay someone if your not confident .Skip some going out to dinner or what ever is your go to on blowing money until you pay a good mechanic to do this .Someone good with toyota or lexus or both.
Old 11-11-19, 08:35 AM
matts6887
Racer

well; since the front ones seem to be really easy as they are right out front; I might just do those 3 myself then pay to have the back 3 done. I would have to call around to find out prices etc though.

Quick Reply: Plugs