RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need Help with water leaking into the back seat buckets both sides?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19 | 12:08 PM
TryingBest
2nd gear

Default Need Help with water leaking into the back seat buckets both sides?

HI,

I have a question for the group, wondering if anyone has ideas what I need to do to fix this problem. I think it's been going on for a while but I just noticed the extent of it.

Basically i have my kids every other weekend, and I only really check the back seats when I have them since I only have the baby chairs and books and toys back there. For a while they've been complaining of a smell in the car which I haven't noticed. The bottom area where they step on the mats is dirty and I figured it's because its just where they put their boots and with the rain and what not I just thought it was dirt from mud and needed a cleaning. But about a week ago I noticed a good amount of moisture under the rug mats for no clear reason and took those out to air dry them. Today I had them again, and it rained more heavily in the morning and when I put them into their seats, I saw a serious amount of water and dark puddles on both the left and right side, next to the door. Like a 6 or 8 inch dark spot on the beige carpeting. I will try to add photos but not sure it it'll go through since this is a new account.

I took a quick look at the ceiling and at the black molding that forms the seal with the rear doors, but nothing stood out to me so I am not sure what this could be. But obviously its a serious problem that needs to be fixed and I think some mold is growing. Please excuse the general dirtiness as it's been a really crazy year here but I'm worried about this and just left it as I had to leave and it was still raining all day

any ideas?

thanks

Old 11-24-19 | 01:08 PM
DennisMik
Racer

It could be that the drain holes in the bottom of your rear doors are plugged. This allows water to leak into the cabin. If this is the case, you can usually hear water sloshing around when you open the door and shake it back and forth.

It could also be a water leak in the rear end of the car. I had my rear carpet getting wet and I found out that it was caused by my tail light allowing water to leak in. The water builds up in the rear corner and can slosh forward when you hit the brakes and go into the rear seat area.

I discovered this when I opened the storage compartment covers in the rear and saw water in the bottom of the plastic compartment that seeped in under the hold down bolt.