RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

120K miles, first time sparkplug change

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19 | 10:25 AM
Jake10M
Driver School Candidate

Default 120K miles, first time sparkplug change

I'm planning to do a major maintenance for my 2005 RX330. These are what I had in my mind, can you please recommend and share your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Sparkplugs
Coil (I read some people suggested to change when changing sparkplugs?)
Air and cabin filters
Oil change
Transmission oil change (is this necessary?)
Gas filter (is this necessary?)

It sounds like sparkplug change is the biggest job here, please let me know if I should do something else together.
(I already had the water pump and timing belt changed)
Old 12-31-19 | 10:40 AM
fabchef
Intermediate

Jake, yes it's a big job, just did it for the first time yesterday (see my post). It took me about 4 hours to do. I ordered my parts online, i changed plugs, coils, and don't forget air intake and throttle body gasket.
The bolt from hell was tough to get out.
i changed the coils cause i don't want to have to go back there for a long time.
fab
Old 12-31-19 | 10:51 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Yes, you might as well change your ignition coils too. You don't need to, but while you're working on the plugs may as well.

Fuel filter I would recommend changing.

Transmission fluid change is important, but you also need to change the pan filter if you want to do it right.

Do you have any check engine light?

you might also want to inspect and replace your PCV hose, add some fuel system cleaner to an empty tank of gas, have your injectors inspected, etc.
Old 12-31-19 | 10:57 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Jake10M
I'm planning to do a major maintenance for my 2005 RX330. These are what I had in my mind, can you please recommend and share your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Sparkplugs
Air and cabin filters
Oil change
Transmission oil change (is this necessary?)
Gas filter (is this necessary?)

It sounds like sparkplug change is the biggest job here, please let me know if I should do something else together.
(I already had the water pump and timing belt changed)
yes the rear spark plugs are the pita!!! And yes it’s a big job! It might take ya 3-5 hours to do depending on how much experience u have working on vehicles. When I had my sisters husband help do my rear ones it took I would say about 4 hours including a quick lunch break. There’s no way I could have done it myself because of the bolt from hell that holds on the manifold which has to come off
to gain access to the rear coils and plugs. As far as a fuel filter goes. I’ve had my rx a bit over 3 years now and haven’t had to touch that at all. I believe u shouldn’t have to as it’s one of those “permanent” filters that just sits in the tank I think.
Old 12-31-19 | 10:58 AM
Jake10M
Driver School Candidate

No I don't have the check engine light on.
Don't they usually change PCV hoses with timing belt/water pump change? I have to see.
Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Jake10M; 12-31-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-31-19 | 10:59 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by matts6887
yes the rear spark plugs are the pita!!! And yes it’s a big job! It might take ya 3-5 hours to do depending on how much experience u have working on vehicles. When I had my sisters husband help do my rear ones it took I would say about 4 hours including a quick lunch break. There’s no way I could have done it myself because of the bolt from hell that holds on the manifold which has to come off
to gain access to the rear coils and plugs. As far as a fuel filter goes. I’ve had my rx a bit over 3 years now and haven’t had to touch that at all. I believe u shouldn’t have to as it’s one of those “permanent” filters that just sits in the tank I think.
Such a breeze to do this service with an inline 6 engine! Take the plastic engine cover off, unhook the clasp thing which holds the ignition coils in place, pull them out, unscrew the spark plugs, then add the new ones in.
The following users liked this post:
Lexuswiz (12-31-19)
Old 12-31-19 | 11:16 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moisture
Such a breeze to do this service with an inline 6 engine! Take the plastic engine cover off, unhook the clasp thing which holds the ignition coils in place, pull them out, unscrew the spark plugs, then add the new ones in.
If only Lexus put the 2JZ-GTE in an RX LOL. This is why I also love V8's and BMW inline 6's.
Old 12-31-19 | 11:18 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

No external fuel filter on these.
Your choice on replacing bank 1 coil packs even if they are still good.
Old 12-31-19 | 11:19 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
If only Lexus put the 2JZ-GTE in an RX LOL. This is why I also love V8's and BMW inline 6's.
The 2JZ is too old of a design and they are useless without a turbo charger. Would be very expensive to fit one inside a FWD based RX lol.

BMW V8's are nothing but problems but their inline 6's are excellent.
Felix (01-01-20)
Old 12-31-19 | 12:29 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Moisture
it’s a ton easier to do the plugs and coils on a lot of other engines besides these Lexus v6 engines! For some reason I guess the designers felt we consumers needed a “challenge” and so they chose the rear plugs n coil packs. Go figure! Lol 😆
Old 12-31-19 | 12:39 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

No I don't have the check engine light on.
Don't they usually change PCV hoses with timing belt/water pump change? I have to see.
Thanks for the replies.
our very good independent mechanic does NOT include PCV hose with timing belt/water pump service
Old 12-31-19 | 12:43 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

Thanks in advance!

Sparkplugs
a suggestion is to only change the three coils in the back AND save the three old coils removed from there for possible use in replacing any of the three front coils that might fail later -- the front three are very easy to change

(prevents adding three coils to your local land fill)
Margate330 (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20 | 07:26 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matts6887
it’s a ton easier to do the plugs and coils on a lot of other engines besides these Lexus v6 engines! For some reason I guess the designers felt we consumers needed a “challenge” and so they chose the rear plugs n coil packs. Go figure! Lol 😆
Try changing plugs on a LS4 or a w/p on a 3.5 Ford in a fwd platform or a starter on a Northstar......Every vehicle has some kind of accessibility issues.
Old 01-01-20 | 08:04 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Felixtheca
Try changing plugs on a LS4 or a w/p on a 3.5 Ford in a fwd platform or a starter on a Northstar......Every vehicle has some kind of accessibility issues.
oh I’m sure no doubt! Yea other engines do have their share of access issues which has to make ya question “what the heck were they thinking” lol
Old 01-03-20 | 12:44 PM
mandyfig

It is good practice to replace the Coils in the rear while doing the Plugs. Save these Coils in case any of the front Coils fail, you use one of the rear spares.

When I had the Timing Belt done, my mechanic did the Spark Plugs. Silly me, I should have replaced the back Coils then. My Cylinder 5 Coil in the Rear failed and of course, I had the other RR Coils replaced. I now have 2 spares.

I had to spend a couple of hundred $$ that I could have saved if I was intelligently thinking...my loss your gain.

Quick Reply: 120K miles, first time sparkplug change