RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

drls

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 07:25 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default drls

All of the sudden; at some point; my drls must have stopped working. I just noticed it yesterday while parked outside a store getting ready to move on to my next destination. Is this a fuse issue or something else?
Old 02-18-20, 04:36 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Check fuse, but ours stopped recently (both bulbs). XID still worked fine, but DRLs were out and Hi-beams worked, but were very dim. Replaced both bulbs with Sylvania 9005 and things are working again. So, it isn't unheard of for both bulbs to go out at once. BTW, super easy to replace (to get some leverage, remove the washer fluid - 10mm and the battery holder - 10mm).
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-18-20)
Old 02-19-20, 06:31 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Check fuse, but ours stopped recently (both bulbs). XID still worked fine, but DRLs were out and Hi-beams worked, but were very dim. Replaced both bulbs with Sylvania 9005 and things are working again. So, it isn't unheard of for both bulbs to go out at once. BTW, super easy to replace (to get some leverage, remove the washer fluid - 10mm and the battery holder - 10mm).
thats what im thinking that it could very well be fuse related.
Old 02-19-20, 06:34 AM
matts6887
Racer

im not too worried about it though as im gonna be doing away with my rx very soon as ive just had constant issues with my rx and have had enough. i wont get into all the details as its already been explained.
Old 02-21-20, 07:37 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
im not too worried about it though as im gonna be doing away with my rx very soon as ive just had constant issues with my rx and have had enough. i wont get into all the details as its already been explained.
Yea so I've read. Sorry to hear (read) that. btw, I spent a little while late last yr figuring out what to buy for my wife & I's needs. I really never thought we'd have a cuv/suv as I've always had performance/muscle cars & a few trucks. Wanted something that had a 6 cylinder & was reliable, hence a Toyota product.
Old 02-24-20, 07:41 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Felixtheca
Yea so I've read. Sorry to hear (read) that. btw, I spent a little while late last yr figuring out what to buy for my wife & I's needs. I really never thought we'd have a cuv/suv as I've always had performance/muscle cars & a few trucks. Wanted something that had a 6 cylinder & was reliable, hence a Toyota product.
Well yea so i thought i would have pretty good luck with lexus; but apparently not. First rx i had was a first gen rx 300; that one got totaled out in a accident by the insurance co as the amount of the damage exceeded the value of the vehicle. So went looking for another 300; found one i thought was good; only to have the dreaded first gen design flaw in the transmission of the dreaded transmission whining in first gear and that one had a leaking transfer case too and to fix both would have been about 4000 bucks; so had to get rid of that one; now this second gen i have now ive had sadly nothing but issues it seems like. first the high pressure power steering line blew up on my spraying fluid everywhere and it cost 1100 bucks to fix and im still paying monthly on that fix!! then found out this one has a seeping transfer case which at the very least would run 1300 bucks to fix so ive done nothing with it; for all i care the transfer case gears can burn up. now last month the thing that finally put the nail in the coffin is the fact i find out this motor has one or more rods "knocking" which means either spend 7000 on new engine or look for replacement vehicle and so im going back to toyota parts are less and it doesnt use premium fuel. Im tired of my pocket book going to premium all the time.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-24-20)
Old 02-24-20, 08:22 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well yea so i thought i would have pretty good luck with lexus.
Just throwing this out there... Is there any chance you car had an odo rollback by chance or is the newer RX350 model plauged with
more frequent/expensive repairs than previous RX330 when they hit high miles?

Old 02-25-20, 08:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Margate330
Just throwing this out there... Is there any chance you car had an odo rollback by chance or is the newer RX350 model plauged with
more frequent/expensive repairs than previous RX330 when they hit high miles?
well; keep in mind these are digital odometers; and those are pretty hard to rollback because i believe the info is stored on a computer chip in the main computer of the vehicle. so its almost impossible to rollback unless u are a real hacker or something and have the knowledge and tools on how to do it. I believe in the end unfortunately i just got one that was not as properly maintained as i had thought w such low mileage and in the end I got the "bad end of the stick" so to speak.
Old 03-04-20, 09:50 AM
Grooby97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my DRLS stopped working also but highbeam worked. I replaced the bulb with LED but still no go. Is there something else that I should check? I checked the fuse and that looks fine.
Old 03-04-20, 04:38 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Instead of LED, try a 9005 bulb.
Old 04-17-20, 10:23 PM
W20
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grooby97
my DRLS stopped working also but highbeam worked. I replaced the bulb with LED but still no go. Is there something else that I should check? I checked the fuse and that looks fine.
Some LEDs dont work in the drl setup

I tried a few options with and without drl modules from xenondepot, but no drls on my rx400h
Old 04-20-20, 07:55 AM
matts6887
Racer

yea my drls still arent working as of now; but I also havent really had a chance to investigate further into it. Maybe tomorrow
Old 04-22-20, 11:47 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

A bulb is burned out. Replace both, youll have working drls
Old 04-23-20, 09:45 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by RXGS
A bulb is burned out. Replace both, youll have working drls
eh; im not too worried about it. Ive gone a few weeks w out doing anything with them so. However i was thinking of changing them to leds at some point if that can be done. But then again if i start looking into a different vehicle at some point down the road just because i wouldnt mind something newer then i wont even bother.
Old 01-26-23, 12:06 AM
Blexus350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRL and LEDs

Hey y’all. I know this probably has been spoken on different forums but hoping I’d get a definite answer on this topic.

I have a 2004 Lexus RX330 Base Model. I upgraded my low beams to 6000k LEDs. I wanted to do the same with my DRLs. Get tired of the halogen light color and give it an upgraded look.

I’ve purchased 6000k LED bulbs and noticed that only one works when both are installed. Then eventually both turn off. Both LEDs are brand new bulbs.
After some research I heard that maybe installing load resistors could help with the low power required for DRLs.

I purchased a 50w 60ohm Load Resistor to both lights. I ensured the negative and power wires were both installed properly. Yet the DRLs still do not come on.

Has anyone had any success in changing the DRLs to LEDs and working correctly?

Quick Reply: drls