RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Looking into a FWD RX330... some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-03, 11:18 PM
bige320
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking into a FWD RX330... some questions

I was debating Premium Plus Package w/ Navi or Performance Package w/ Navi like another member here too. I'm looking into a Black Onyx with Black interior. Originally, I wanted Lt. Grey, but Serramonte Lexus told me that Lt. Grey is just a hard color to come by period. Also, they said that Performance Package with Navi is hard combo. So right now I'm looking into a FWD w/ Premium Plus Package, Navi and 18" wheels.

I was at Putnam Lexus yesterday and the rep from the Costco Auto Program quoted me $42,573 +/- $100 OTD (Invoice plus $2000 and 9% (for license, tax and document fees)) for a FWD w/ Premium Plus Pack., Navi, 18" wheels and heated seats. Anyone know if that's a good deal? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. If anyone have prices of what they paid OTD for their RX330's and options and when they purchased it, I'd appreciate your help.

Another question I have is for RX330 owners who have FWD models. Is there significant torque steer on the RX? (I haven't owned any FWD cars before). Or should I consider an AWD model for ~$1500 more?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to being in the Lexus family.

BTW, I saw the build schedule, there's 33 Black Onyxes coming in configured with Prem. Plus and Navi. 13 black and 20 ivory interiors. Rep said I would get one with color preference in 4 wks, if I told him by today and give him my CC# for a deposit.

Opps forgot one more question. I've seen some RX330s with darker or black taillights instead of the chrome. It doesn't seem to be like the 2002+ IS300s where all were black except silver and white which had chrome. Which RX330's come with the darker or black taillights?

Thanks again.

Last edited by bige320; 09-01-03 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-01-03, 01:49 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Light gray interiors are too numeous here in Hawaii!?!

I do miss my IS in terms of handling; there is a little bit of torque steer, but everything else about the 330 makes me forget about stuff like that.

I'd say go for the AWD, which will be better for you in terms of re-sale, but you get what you want; forget about everything else! This is YOUR ride!

PS: Your question relating to the different taillight colors... I think it depends on the color of the 330; the darker it is, the brighter the tails look; I was just noticing mine tonight, I thought it had a lot of "smoke" color to it compared to darker color models. I have MSM/BLACK. Good luck!

Last edited by msilverIS; 09-01-03 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-01-03, 04:55 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Lil2X??

Welcome to CL big! Congrats on your wise choice of vehicles -

My 330 (Savannah Metallic/Ivory) is optioned much the same and was similarly priced when I took delivery in early June. I just helped a friend pick up a new ES 300 last weekend, and she got a very good deal during the "golden opportunity" (EOY close-out) sale. You might do a bit better - especially outside the bay area.

Don't think you'll miss the "performance" package. Same powertrain, gimmicky suspension...now if they'd offer a V8 with the package..... I've seen the darker tails too - come to think of it, it was always on black or flint RX's. They look good, but the placement of the lights is still just too weird.

My previous RX 300 was an AWD, and I had to accept a FWD this time because AWDs will not arrive in much of the sunbelt in quantity until fall. With my lease running out - even extended 60 days - I didn't have much choice, so I took the FWD. My notes thus far:

1.) Without the drag of the 300's AWD, I had noticed that my 300 FWD loaner cars were a good bit quicker - like they'd grafted on an extra cylinder or two. Don't know if that applies to the 330s.

2.) Torque steer is not a problem, but is definitely present on the FWD, no better or worse than any other V6 FWD car. From speeds under 10 mph, flooring the throttle will produce a couple of downshifts and a distinct leftward jerk to the steering wheel as power comes in. Be ready. My AWD (although a 300 model with somewhat less torque) never exhibited this characteristic.

3.) Occasional squeal from inside tire on exiting corner under full throttle - never occurred on AWD. Yes, the traction control is on.

In three years with the AWD and a number of mild off-road adventures I never once got into a situation the vehicle couldn't get me out of. While these excursions were limited to fire roads, oilfield roads - both heavily rutted dirt/mud and timber plank, wet pastures and construction sites, I never once even felt the AWD engage. Either it was that smooth, or I didn't need it for traction. The RX is not a rock-hopper, however, and some judgment must be used before driving off into something really nasty. On pavement, the AWD tracked straight and true, even when driven deep into a wet corner. The FWD has a tendency to understeer in a similar situation, but the VSC will not let me get in too far over my head. If you don't mind a little hip fake in the midst of a 40 mph corner, it's ok.

In the last few months of my 300's lease I felt that the gas mileage was getting worse. From a highway figure of 20-21 mpg, it fell to 17-18. 'Course some of that is caused by our local rich MTBE blends demanded by the environmentalist wackos. My FWD 330 at 3500 miles is presently getting about 19-21 on the highway. I don't feel that the mileage penalty is significant.

Do I miss the AWD? YES! Just for peace of mind, if nothing else. It always felt more secure. Now that AWD models are becoming more available, I think it's a good investment. I'd gladly trade the RSE for it now...no, wait - it's too useful for client demos....ah, well... My next RX will be an AWD. Does that tell you something?

Whatever your choice, you're gonna love your RX!
Old 09-01-03, 02:37 PM
bige320
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies and insights, msilverIS and Lil4X.

From the very beginning (June 03) of deciding that it was time for a new car (because in Oct. 1, 03, vehicle registration fees triple... stupid state budget problems) I was looking into a Camry SE V6 w/ Navi. Its sticker was about $27-28k. It seem sort of crazy to spend that much on a Toyota. (We've owned two Nissans, a Toyota, a Mazda and a Chevy. Of the five new cars we've owned, we never regretted or found anything disappointing about the Toyota. Other relatives bought Hondas and expressed regret. So choosing a Toyota was a default.) After a while, I looked at the IS300 and its base price is about 5k more, but it's from a luxury marque, RWD and better service and warranty. But I'm 6'1", so the IS is a bit small for me, then I started to move up the price todem pole to the GS300 and RX330. (My dream Lexus is a GS430, but it's out of reach for now.) The sales rep also said, she wouldn't even suggest I test drive the IS because of my height and comforts. She said I could take the GS3 or the RX for a drive and decide between the two. I also looked at the Infiniti G35 and FX35, but the interior looks too tacky for my likes and IMO feels subpar for a vehicle in that price range. Also, somehow I feel I might regret getting an Infiniti down the line. So naturally, Lexus it is, and I've decided on the RX330 and packages.

msilverIS,
I'd love to be in Hawaii for the beaches, not to mention getting a good look at the Lt. Gray interior. The Putnam rep says the Lt. Gray doesn't look as nice as Black on Black cause of the contrast.

I thought about the AWD, but most of the time in the Bay Area the worst we get is heavy rain. It would be nice for the snow in the winter when I go snowboarding. Maintenance cost and the hit on gas mileage are the two factors keeping me away.

The extra space, dual zone climate, backup camera, power hatch was enough (along with tilt down mirror, remote linked window opening and memory seats) and that it's worth the extra ~$5k. It would probably be a better choice than a sedan for snowboarding in the winter. But as I looked into it more, it has more power (at least on paper) than the IS and gets better gas mileage. I also love the lighted door sill plates to remind me and passengers that I'm getting into a luxurious vehicle each time.

Lil4X,
Thanks for the warm welcoming to CL. I must thank you and give props for knowing and reading my mind that I've narrowed my choices to a Lexus. The rare combo of Perf. pack and Navi, and possibly higher maintenance cost of the air suspension got me leaning towards the Prem. Plus.

The placement of the taillights was a bit wierd for me too when I first saw pictures of the new RX last winter, along with the sharp rake of the rear hatch. But the RX just grows on me and I'm more in love with it each time I see it and look at it at the dealerships. Can't wait til that day we bring one home.

Torque steer came to mind when my friend brought up that he's never noticed it on his Acura TL-S and a magazine review said it's really bad on the new Maxima. I will ask my cousin to drive his '02 FWD RX300 and pay attention to the torque steer. (He didn't want to wait until '03 cause he feared Lexus might screw up the RX. The current ES300 scared him). I've driven FWD cars, but never accelerated hard enough to notice torque steer.
Old 09-01-03, 02:55 PM
rkytop_bob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the AWD, it's only about $1200 more. It will more than pay for itself in resale value.
Best Regards........Bob
Old 09-01-03, 03:10 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

I've got the Perf Package w/Nav and FWD - Black on Black! I love it! and I love all the gimmicks
Old 09-01-03, 09:13 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by jeffknet
I've got the Perf Package w/Nav and FWD - Black on Black! I love it! and I love all the gimmicks
Jeff, have you noticed any torque steer on hard acceleration or when coming out of corners?
Old 09-02-03, 05:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by msilverIS
Light gray interiors are too numeous here in Hawaii!?!

I was thinking the same thing. I originally wanted all black, but ended up with light grey since that was our dealer had about 50/50 light grey and ivory. Black would have been a 4 month wait.

I haven't notice any torque steer on my FWD 330 yet, but I haven't really gunned it from a start that hard yet.
Old 09-02-03, 07:17 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

JRB

I haven't really done what I would consider "hard" driving yet - the only steering issues I've had concerned the "veering" I was experiencing until my last svc visit due to uneven tire treads - the svc techs had to move my tires around to find matching treads for front and rear - they also fine tuned the alignment and centered my steering wheel. I still feel the vehicle reacts too easily to the crown in the road, it definitly doesn't handle as solidly as my IS300
Old 09-02-03, 09:20 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Jeff,

Up here in this part of the country a FWD RX would be a special order, as all of the regular dealer allocation RX's come with the AWD option. Despite the weight and mileage advantage of the FWD version, I never even considered getting one. Even though we did special order our RX, getting a FWD-only model would have defeated probably the main purpose of buying a SUV-type vehicle in the first place, which is greater peace of mind & less stress when driving in the winter. In fact my last 6 car/SUV purchases have been AWD ('04 RX, '03 FX, '01 Audi allroad, '98 Audi A4, '94 Jeep G.C. and a '90 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX). All except for the Jeep are/were very good handlers.

If we lived in the south where snow is a rare event, I'd probably go with the two wheel drive version, as long as the handling on dry and wet pavement was about as good. I know with the Audi's the quattro system has definite advantages even when the roads are not slick, as it makes for a better balanced vehicle going into and coming out of corners. Not sure about the RX because I never drove one with FWD, but I gotta think it's similar. For most, however, the cheaper cost, the better mileage and the slightly better performance considerations would probably outweigh any handling disadvantage.
Old 09-02-03, 09:24 PM
jeffknet
Pole Position

JRB

agree completely - your needs are quite different based on your environment - here in DFW we may get one or two days a year where the FWD comes in handy.
Old 09-05-03, 12:04 AM
bige320
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm seriously considering the AWD now. I'll post back on any new quotes I get or what I end up taking home.