RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Air Suspension Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 07:28 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Questions...

Hello,

I've been doing some reading on the various ground clearance settings of the air suspension. But, I still have some questions.

When the air suspension is set to "HIGH" ground clearnce is 8.29"[7.09"(normal)+1.2"]. The car will then go back to "NORMAL" when the speed exceeds 30MPH and the car will go down another 0.30" when the speed exceeds 60MPH. Can you set the air suspension to "HIGH" and then turn the "high control switch" to "off" to lock the air suspension in the "HIGH" mode at all speeds?
Old 09-02-03, 09:55 AM
HowieNJ
Rookie

Default My 2 cents regarding air suspensions

I would baby your air suspension and not look for ways to make it do anything it isnt supposed too.
I am sure the technology has changed greatly since 1986 and in no way can you compare a Subaru to a Lexus.................BUT.................

I had a 1986 Subaru XT with what they called "pneumatic suspension". It was 4 struts that had airbags that were pumped up by a compressor with a hi and normal setting. The suspension also adjusted at speed. The car automatically woud return to normal no matter what positin the switch was in at 55mph.

These things were nightmares. The airbags would dry out eventually and rupture or the compressor died.

The replacement costs were fairly high. $400 per front strut or $450 per rear. $500 for a new compressor.

After the first one ruptured I replaced it with a new one. The local mechanic told me to keep them lubricated with a silicon spray to avoid them drying out again. Worked for a while then another one blew.
Replaced it with one from a junkyard and it lasted a year before the compressor blew.

Also had problem with the computer controlling them and eventually they would just lock up. It was like you were driving in a basketball. The slightest nick in the road would send the car airborne.

Finally was so frustrated, a lengthy search on the internet hooked me up with some place in california that made standard strut replacements. Bought 4, unhooked the compressor and never had another problem with them.

The first problems came within first 4 yrs of owning the car. I owned it another 10 years with the last 6 using the replacement standard struts. No one else out there including Subaru ever gave me any indication that you could replace the air struts with conventional.

Anyway my point is be careful with them and dont abuse them. It was a huge headache and the only one other than the Turbo Charger that I had with the car. I dont even want to get to thinking about that Turbo Charger nightmare again.......

Last edited by HowieNJ; 09-02-03 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-02-03, 12:16 PM
o8yb
Rookie

What a good idea! Don't know if it works but I may try to lock my RX330 in the low easy access mode (7" -1.2") for better handling =) Hope I don't destory my RX in a month.

Sam
Old 09-02-03, 06:24 PM
dshea
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Air Suspension Questions...

Originally posted by johnnieliu
Hello,

I've been doing some reading on the various ground clearance settings of the air suspension. But, I still have some questions.

When the air suspension is set to "HIGH" ground clearnce is 8.29"[7.09"(normal)+1.2"]. The car will then go back to "NORMAL" when the speed exceeds 30MPH and the car will go down another 0.30" when the speed exceeds 60MPH. Can you set the air suspension to "HIGH" and then turn the "high control switch" to "off" to lock the air suspension in the "HIGH" mode at all speeds?
The answer is no. The automatic height adjustment will turn back on even when it has been switched off when the vehicle exceeds 30 kph (19 mph). If you're trying to ford water, then don't exceed 19 mph.