RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Worth repairing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 06:35 AM
elaine87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth repairing?

I am the original owner of an 04 RX330, currently at 190K miles. I am due at a minimum to replace tires and timing belt/water pump. I recently had it at the dealer and was also told the following need immediate attention or attention soon: Replace valve cover gasket kit, replace power steering pressure hose/tube, replace drive belts(oil leaking from behind timing cover), and replace front brake pads and rotors machined. Are all these repairs necessary or something that can be lived with? I don't know if putting that much of an investment into it will be worth it. Are there other repairs that I should expect in the near future given its mileage? It's been pretty trouble free, the only repair I've had done recently was to replace the alternator. I am thinking it might be time to trade it in for something newer.
Old 04-02-20, 07:04 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I wouldn’t blame you for wanting to trade it in, however none of the repairs there are super complicated or something a good independent couldn’t do.

A rough estimate I would think from an independent would probably be around $2000 . For a DIYer this car would be great and about half of those issues could be tackled over the weekend.

I was at my dealer the other day and saw an absolutely mint white 2006 RX330. The service advisor told me that it was an original owner car and 2 weeks ago, he took the plunge and changed the timing belt, water pump, and leaking power steering rack at 182k miles. The car was back again because the CEL was on for a bad rattling catalytic converter, and here in NY you can only use OEM replacements.

Point is at the mileage, it’s a gamble, the car could be perfect for another 190k miles, or it could be a sign of things to come, especially if you don’t repair yourself. On top of that I’m sure your suspension is long overdue for a refresh, and in due time it’ll go from softer ride to making noise.
Old 04-02-20, 10:07 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

All the things that were mentioned are essentially normal maintenance that will need to be done to any car at 200K miles. If the car runs good otherwise, the body is in good shape, etc., you might want to consider getting those things taken care of. It is certainly less expensive than buying a new car. As RXGS said above, the suspension parts probably need some work, probably new struts/shock absorbers. Another thing is that the mileage is coming up to where you will need to have the timing belt replaced.

Doing these things is expensive, but again, less expensive than buying a new car. Which way you go is a personal preference thing. If you have lots of money, go buy a new car. If money is tight, then fix your current car.
Old 04-02-20, 05:02 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by elaine87
I am the original owner of an 04 RX330, currently at 190K miles. I am due at a minimum to replace tires and timing belt/water pump. I recently had it at the dealer and was also told the following need immediate attention or attention soon: Replace valve cover gasket kit, replace power steering pressure hose/tube, replace drive belts(oil leaking from behind timing cover), and replace front brake pads and rotors machined. Are all these repairs necessary or something that can be lived with? I don't know if putting that much of an investment into it will be worth it. Are there other repairs that I should expect in the near future given its mileage? It's been pretty trouble free, the only repair I've had done recently was to replace the alternator. I am thinking it might be time to trade it in for something newer.
Well you came to the right place to ask and look around to read other's experiences. Welcome to the forum. Timing belt/water pump should be changed if due as both will fry your engine if they fail. That said, they can last an indefinite amount of time. You should have the high pressure power steering line replaced. I have an 07 so my motor's different than yours but I've read many instances of that line failing on RX330s which creates a hell of a mess in the engine bay not to mention immediate steering issues; not something you need going down the highway. That line is located behind the engine on the firewall so shouldn't be too costly to have replaced and seems to present the biggest potential safety issue for your vehicle. You should have the brakes done as well if it's recommended as these are heavy cars with already semi poor brakes. Belts are cheap to replace, but leaking timing covers can be hard to have repaired as it's very tight in there. Not sure about 330s, but very difficult on 350s. Mine leaks, but not onto the belt so I just live with it. Check for a reputable independent mechanic in your area that services Lexus/Toyota and ask for a second opinion there and a proposal of cost to have the work done. I'd guess you'll be about $2k to have it all done by an indy shop. If you've had it the whole time and took good care of it, prob get another 50k miles out of it. At the same time, newer SUVs nowadays have so much better safety and technology. If it were me, I'd get a newer car but keep the RX to use for shorter drives and definitely fix the power steering line and brakes. Maybe give it to a relative? These are very good cars but worth nothing traded in anymore. The real value is to find a way to continue to use it somehow but it's a coin toss: replace or repair, particularly if you only have space/need for one car.
Old 04-03-20, 05:25 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 428 Posts

All great input for you above....To give you a idea...Price out a similar vehicle thats been reconditioned...or one that doesn't need anything in good condition & then go to a few indies( independent shops) that work & know these vehicles to give you a idea. If it works for you, great or possibly you'll want to look at the '07+ ones w/ the 3.5 engine.....For my wife & I the early ones do the same as the later "10-'13 models that I was looking at also....
Old 04-06-20, 01:58 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I know my 07 350 needs at least 1300 bucks worth of work mainly to the dreaded transfer case which has the dreaded transfer case leak. I was going to look into getting a different vehicle myself; but that all changed very quickly this morning when i had a conference call with the area directors of our retail stores(pep boys) only to find out they are temp. closing the stores until this darn virus stuff finally comes to a end which hopefully will be sooner than later. Anyways. For now i have to stick with my rx with a bit over 142,000 miles on it. tomorrow Im having the trans fluid flushed and refilled as its way way overdue for that being done and I finally have the money to do so and its just as well as it looks like I will be driving this one for awhile longer.
Old 04-06-20, 04:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
I know my 07 350 needs at least 1300 bucks worth of work mainly to the dreaded transfer case which has the dreaded transfer case leak. I was going to look into getting a different vehicle myself; but that all changed very quickly this morning when i had a conference call with the area directors of our retail stores(pep boys) only to find out they are temp. closing the stores until this darn virus stuff finally comes to a end which hopefully will be sooner than later. Anyways. For now i have to stick with my rx with a bit over 142,000 miles on it. tomorrow Im having the trans fluid flushed and refilled as its way way overdue for that being done and I finally have the money to do so and its just as well as it looks like I will be driving this one for awhile longer.
I thought your engine was knocking
Old 04-06-20, 04:50 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXGS
X2......What I thought also for awhile now...If one or a few rod bearings are spun or wore out, they won't last long at all as the rods will ventilate the block....This very much not like Toyota/Lexus....
Old 04-07-20, 10:29 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by RXGS
yes; it still is; but i dont have a choice but to drive it the way it is until "our" (pep boys) stores re-open for retail business and i can save up some money to look into a different vehicle. My biggest issue in getting a different vehicle is that no matter what i have to have a co-signer as sadly my credit is crap so no banks will approve me on my own unfortunately.
Old 04-07-20, 10:31 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Felix
X2......What I thought also for awhile now...If one or a few rod bearings are spun or wore out, they won't last long at all as the rods will ventilate the block....This very much not like Toyota/Lexus....
Nope!; i thought this to very very unlike toyota/lexus as well. Which leads me to believe unfortunately whoever had it before; unlike what i thought; didnt exactly take the best care of it and or didnt exactly do the proper maintenance items when they needed to be done.
Old 04-07-20, 07:59 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Nope!; i thought this to very very unlike toyota/lexus as well. Which leads me to believe unfortunately whoever had it before; unlike what i thought; didnt exactly take the best care of it and or didnt exactly do the proper maintenance items when they needed to be done.
Next vehicle, I'd highly recommend having it checked out, even if costs a couple hundred or so.......
Old 04-08-20, 01:20 PM
matts6887
Racer

Next vehicle, I'd highly recommend having it checked out, even if costs a couple hundred or so.......
well i think that is pretty obvious. But to add to this; before i even got it; I did have a lexus dealer inspect it and at that point and time there were no signs of it being not taken care of; but of course that doesnt always mean everything is all peachy and dandy. because obviously in this case everything is not peachy and dandy.
Old 04-08-20, 03:19 PM
Felix
Pole Position

well i think that is pretty obvious. But to add to this; before i even got it; I did have a lexus dealer inspect it and at that point and time there were no signs of it being not taken care of; but of course that doesnt always mean everything is all peachy and dandy. because obviously in this case everything is not peachy and dandy.
Wow, of all the ppl.......Just say, as you possibly know there are quite a lot of ex dealer tech's out there in either their own shops or working in indies.......Plus there are some a few w/ varies locations as well.
Old 04-09-20, 09:35 AM
matts6887
Racer

Wow, of all the ppl.......Just say, as you possibly know there are quite a lot of ex dealer tech's out there in either their own shops or working in indies.......Plus there are some a few w/ varies locations as well.
well again; i did not know at the time and nothing at the time was "noticed" during the inspection. So; that leads me to believe again that stuff happened prior to picking it up that did now show up until I got the vehicle.