RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wheel refurbishing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 01:32 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel refurbishing

Morning All,

I've got the car booked in next Thursday to have the alloys refurbished. I was gonna go for the same silver effect but the refurbishing garage recommends a change to Anthracite, says it looks stunning. Has anyone had this done to their silver SUV and if so how does it look?
Old 04-30-20, 10:21 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Anthracite is a medium gray (gun metal) non-glossy color. Doesn't the refurbishing garage have a wheel finished with this Anthracite on display for customers to examine?
Old 04-30-20, 11:03 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Yes it does, I will have a good look when I go down next week. Was just throwing it out there for some opinions my friend...
Old 04-30-20, 04:51 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 438 Posts

I'd have them sprayed in Hyper silver......Don't use any wheel cleaners, after a week or so, spray them w/ a ceramic wax, makes it so much easier to clean them & they stay cleaner longer. btw I'd also use ceramic brake pads to help as well.....Don't forget about the spare wheel as well.......
Old 05-01-20, 05:43 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

The only thing that would keep me from doing rims in different color is resale value if it looks very different from stock so I don't know.
I'm not sure how "custom" that color looks- can you plz post pics for us when you get it done?

Was thinking about hitting mine with some 2K paint and 2K clear DIY but not sure if they would hold up so not sure.
Old 05-02-20, 04:01 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Yeh, I'll post before and after pics. Car is 12 years old so not sure if there is much retail value in it. AS always our cars mean much more to us than the monetary value others put on them....
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-02-20)
Old 05-02-20, 04:04 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Hi Felix,

I've sent away for some Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax to coat the wheels once done, thanks for that sound advice
Old 05-02-20, 07:28 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burroo67
Yeh, I'll post before and after pics. Car is 12 years old so not sure if there is much retail value in it. AS always our cars mean much more to us than the monetary value others put on them....
+1 True this. lol
I put Red calipers on mine so might take a ding on resale but oh well...
Old 05-02-20, 08:14 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Margate330 - red calipers sounds awesome, were they expensive to buy?
Old 05-02-20, 03:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Margate330 - red calipers sounds awesome, were they expensive to buy?
Hi friends.
I took a short video today.
From Rock Auto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...21312&jsn=2168

Old 05-02-20, 05:01 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Hi Felix,

I've sent away for some Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax to coat the wheels once done, thanks for that sound advice
I use the Turtle wax ceramic spray vs the Meg's.....Jump on the Autopia forum which is the sister site of autogeek.....as well as checkout some youtube vids of Apex detailing & a few others.....Turtle wax has come quite aways......I'd also use it on the paint after you have done your correcting.....Mothers also has their version as well as others....I usually use a sealant w/ a carnauba lsp on my vehicles, but since its a little work to deal w/ the roof of this rx, hence the ceramic spray & I use two coatings w/ a day between & you don't want to get it wet for a 24 hr period.
Old 05-03-20, 11:36 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Hi Felix,
Quick question.....If I'm gonna spray the Ceramic Wax onto the newly refurbished wheels, should I not be worried about coating the discs? Take it I would need to try and pack between the wheel and the disc to prevent this (ight seem a silly question).
Old 05-04-20, 08:57 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Hi Felix,
Quick question.....If I'm gonna spray the Ceramic Wax onto the newly refurbished wheels, should I not be worried about coating the discs? Take it I would need to try and pack between the wheel and the disc to prevent this (ight seem a silly question).
After a week or so. Spray some TW ceramic wax on a new mircofiber towel & apply to the wheel. You can start at the center, like I do & work your way down to. Turning the m/f towel to a new section. Fold it into 4 sections. Use one towel for applying & another for wiping......I find the TW the best over the Megs & Mothers ceramic spray.....TW's ceramic spray is a upgrade of their seal n shine which works great also.....Have a look at the product & how it works & performs vs the packaging........
Old 05-04-20, 11:30 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Cheers Felix, Megs arrived yesterday - big bottle TBH
Old 05-07-20, 11:14 AM
Burroo67
Driver School Candidate

Dear All,

Many thanks for your comments on my refurbish dilemma. I have attached before and after pics and have the following observations: -

1. The refurb unit is in Dumbarton, I decided on 'light anthracite'

2. They did all 4 wheels by 5.00pm for £180, only problem was they did not do the inserts and they reason given is that they have been sued in the past as the refurb process can damage the caps. Had they told me this before I decided on the 'light anthracite' I would probably have went for silver, but hey ho I think you need to be looking for the difference to really spot it, and if it still bugs me in a week or so's time I'll look at painting them myself.....

In the before and after pics I have shown the worst wheel, the whitish marks on the rims of the after pics are the lubricant stuff they put on when putting the tyres back onto the rims.

Please comment, if you don't mind.

Before

Before

After

Quick Reply: Wheel refurbishing