RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Steering column quick “hack”

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 03:01 PM
CarComp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering column quick “hack”

I love the motorized steering column, but I don’t really like how it moves when the key is put in. I also don’t like how it stays “down” in park, making a quick exit and re-entry a pain in the butt. I found a quick “hack” that changes the dynamic of the automatic wheel, stopping it from moving and as a side effect, easing vehicle exit. The drawback is you lose your second driver customization, but I’m a one driver owner for the most part.

Steps for the “hack”

1) Get the seat and steering wheel where you want them for normal driving.
2) Set this as setting “1” on the door.
3) Now, just move the steering whee to its upmost and farthest inward position.
4) Set this as setting “2” on the door.

Now, whenever you need to get out, just tap the “2” button before you do. The steering wheel will be out of the way, and as a bonus it won’t move outward when you put the key in. When you are ready, just press the “1” button. It takes about a day to get used to doing it, but it completely changes how the steering wheel operates!
The following users liked this post:
matts6887 (05-29-20)
Old 05-28-20, 05:58 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

I need to get into the car again with techstream but I swear there is a customization option to retract the steering column upon exit, my RX does it since I got it but I coded it off on my NX. Not sure if your RX is the base, premium package, or hybrid as this maybe a factor.
Old 05-28-20, 06:13 PM
CarComp
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I need to get into the car again with techstream but I swear there is a customization option to retract the steering column upon exit, my RX does it since I got it but I coded it off on my NX. Not sure if your RX is the base, premium package, or hybrid as this maybe a factor.
Mine goes back when I take the key out. I wanted it to go back when the car was running and in park if I wanted to get out.
Old 05-29-20, 08:17 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

yea i need to get that techstream too so i can "customize" some things on my rx350. Im probably gonna keep my rx even after the loan on it is paid off. Its got a bit over 144,000 miles on it now and is in pretty good shape mechanically just need to do some thing cosmetically.
Old 05-29-20, 08:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CarComp
I love the motorized steering column, but I don’t really like how it moves when the key is put in. I also don’t like how it stays “down” in park, making a quick exit and re-entry a pain in the butt. I found a quick “hack” that changes the dynamic of the automatic wheel, stopping it from moving and as a side effect, easing vehicle exit. The drawback is you lose your second driver customization, but I’m a one driver owner for the most part.

Steps for the “hack”

Now, whenever you need to get out, just tap the “2” button before you do. The steering wheel will be out of the way, and as a bonus it won’t move outward when you put the key in. When you are ready, just press the “1” button. It takes about a day to get used to doing it, but it completely changes how the steering wheel operates!
I know all about this. I used to have a 2011 acura rdx which had the 2 position memory for the seat and mirrors etc and i did just this for that vehicle too and it worked perfectly for me doing it that way,.
Old 05-29-20, 04:27 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Mine goes back when I take the key out. I wanted it to go back when the car was running and in park if I wanted to get out.
Ahhh, I see. Didn't catch that on the original post. I see what you mean now, interesting idea. Guess I'm small enough I just slide out.

Originally Posted by matts6887
yea i need to get that techstream too so i can "customize" some things on my rx350. Im probably gonna keep my rx even after the loan on it is paid off. Its got a bit over 144,000 miles on it now and is in pretty good shape mechanically just need to do some thing cosmetically.
Worth it 100%. I can read codes, customize a few features, and program keys on all of my Lexyota cars.
Old 05-30-20, 08:24 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 507 Likes on 441 Posts

I don't like how the s/w moves all the time. I'd just as soon have it down & out all the time.
Old 10-24-22, 05:17 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 507 Likes on 441 Posts

Steps for the “hack”

Why not set it where you want it & just plug the fuse to it, simple enough......I've set it out & down & removed the fuse....works for my wife & I....It'd be great if it extended out & down a few inches......