RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dealer recommendations - kind of scary

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20 | 10:06 AM
rypaga
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer recommendations - kind of scary

So I purchased my 09 RX350 about 2 and a half years ago with 130k. I have put about 20k on since - this is a second car for me. I drive it on longer trips in the summer, regularly during the winter (RI) and use it for utility etc. Based on what I had read about the RX with reasonable maintenance they go for many more miles. My intent was to keep this car at least another 4-5 years. The condition inside and out is almost perfect and it had been meticulously maintained at the dealer since purchase.

I recently went to the dealer for an oil change and when I picked it up I received the following news (keep in mind the dealer has done all oil changes and this is the first time I hear of all of this)

1. During inspection technician noticed fluid potentially leaking from oil cooler lines - $513
2. Trans Cooler Corroded and may fail - Shifter shaft seal - $1175
3. Drivers side rack boot wet due to internal seepage - Power Rack Pin Assem - $1828
4. During inspection technician noticed fluid seeping from timing cover seal - I didn't get a price but he said most likely $3000-4000

The service rep said I'm telling you this because you may want to think about moving on from this vehicle and this info could help - they see a lot of these and know what goes when. I thought - wow, in 5 months this car has completely went down hill.

I don't have any oil drips and none of the fluids have gone down at all. However, when I did look underneath with a flashlight I did see where the boot has a bit of wetness look (very little) and on the passenger side in the engine area from underneath I can see something that looks to have some reflection which looks to be oil.

My question at this point is what should I do with this vehicle? It is 11 years old with 150k but everyone says it's nothing for these cars. Are these small "leaks" something to be worried about or considered normal for a car this age. I don't always trust the dealer but they do know these cars. I found info on all of the above so it does seem like they are common. But I see so many RX's driving around and older and I doubt these people are putting 8k to repair this stuff.

Any insight is appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (09-28-20)
Old 09-12-20 | 02:09 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I wonder if they followed up the conversation with "let's come into the showroom and see what we can do to get you in a new Lexus" because this is exactly how I envision it. I say your RX is fine but should be repaired for some of the items.

All of these issues are fairly common on this gen RX. I'll address them below:
1. Yes, if your RX has the tow package, it's a known failure point if you have not replaced the oil cooler lines to the updated metal line. I recall it was a recall but not sure if it ended. You can buy the part and install it fairly easily.
2. Not sure on this diagnostic, is it the trans cooler or shaft seal, two very different parts.....
3. RX's of this gen are notorious for leaking racks. Mine leaked and I had to replace it. Went with rebuilt and an independent mech, less than 500 installed.
4. I bet it's just valve cover (aka timing cover) gaskets, should be nowhere near 3000-4000, I cannot see it being more than 800 with parts.

1 and 3 are a must. No way around it. I would not go to a dealer but a indy that specializes in Lexyotas.

My 2005 RX330 is still trucking with 100K on the clock. Sure it will have issues due to age and mileage but I never have to even think about it leaving me stranded.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lexuswiz:
Bogey2 (09-16-20), RX10 (09-28-20)
Old 09-12-20 | 05:55 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Pretty much what ""Lexuswiz'' mentioned above.....Swap out the oil cooler lines w/ metal lines......Dorman offers a oil cooler kit, which I used btw.Get a reman rack & have a indy shop install it. Shop & checkout what shops would charge you. Possibly the timing cover is seeping as thats one of the issues w/ 2gr-fe engines, didn't use enough sealant for the cover, Just check the oil is what I'd do if its just seeping.....If you like the vehicle & it works for your needs, I'd say its so much easier to pull money in to it vs buying another vehicle & then what would you have? Yea you could go same for same(money) into a newer vehicle, but it'd be a lot cheaper vehicle, basically a down grade....Just to mention, I looked & researched for a mid size 6 cylinder cuv for my wife late last yr & found these are fairly reliably vs other vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Bogey2 (09-16-20)
Old 09-12-20 | 06:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Original owner of a 2008 RX350 with 170k miles.

1. I replaced with an OEM part at an indie, total cost $210
2. Havent experienced, but did replaced a trans cooler line near driver side fog light, did it myself in 30 minutes and I think the part was $150
3. Had the Indie change the rubber boot on the rack that was seeping slightly, $40
4. Timing cover is slightly damp, car is at 170k miles, it’ll continue to stay that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXGS:
Bogey2 (09-16-20), RX10 (09-28-20)
Old 09-13-20 | 07:52 AM
rypaga
Driver School Candidate

This is all very helpful. Sounds like she may still have good life to her. I have a very trustworthy mechanic that does suspension/brakes. But I don't have one for engine work and for the life of me can't find one that might specialize in toyota/lex. Does anyone know of a good one in RI...or a way to find one specializing in toy/lex? I had an audi s4 that I brought to an indy and they screwed up an oil change with the wrong filter so I am hesitant on trusting any shop.

Old 09-13-20 | 10:21 AM
matts6887
Racer

Id say dont worry about the timing cover too much. If u dont see anything on the ground then dont worry about it for now. just keep any eye on oil level etc. definitely swap out cooler lines to prevent something there from happening.
Old 09-13-20 | 05:50 PM
mandyfig

For a quote of $8K you need a second opinion. Perhaps another Lexus shop. Smells fishy on the ton of work you were told...they are fishing...!

BTW did they give you and formal report-Quote? Be nice for you to post it here so we can dissect it.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-20 | 08:54 AM
matts6887
Racer

also 8000 is ridiculously high!!! i would definitely get a second opinion and maybe even a 3rd.
Old 09-14-20 | 09:43 AM
RadiantX45
Intermediate

Yeah it’s time to take it somewhere else for servicing. I have a lot of luck with my local Toyota dealer. Service isn’t as good as Lexus but damn is it way less expensive. 04 RX330 220,000 miles. I would be wary of anyone who says “I see some moisture that’ll be $3000-$4000 to fix.”
Old 09-14-20 | 06:46 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

1. I replaced mine for the cost of the part $58 and about 90 minutes time.
2. I don't have this issue....yet.
3. My rack was replaced by previous owner, no current leaks. Very common issue.
4. My timing cover leaked ever since I got mine a few years ago, but was undetectable on the lot, etc. Previous owner took this car to Lexus for service..lots, so I'm sure they noticed it and left it. Loses a little less than a half quart every 5k. Drips a little on the drive. Too costly to repair so I live with it.

Mine could use a few things for sure, but really runs good. We use it on day trips and it's my wife's daily putt around car.

Old 09-16-20 | 06:26 PM
Bogey2
Driver School Candidate

Default Luxury Car maintenance costs MORE ‼️

Yeah, I feel for you. I too discovered a similar grocery list as I started poking around when my tires showed uneven wear. 2008 Rx 350 170k
While changing front shocks noticed leak at both rack and pinion boots. Also noticed sway bars and ball joints and bushings worn.
The shocks were so worn that they stayed compressed.
Glad I decided to replace rear shocks too.
New set of Michelin LTX from Costco, ofcourse.

I had to face the harsh reality of luxury car maintenance. The positive side of biting the bullet is Lexus will last for ever if regularly maintained not to mention the great ride.
Old 09-16-20 | 10:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bogey2
Yeah, I feel for you. I too discovered a similar grocery list as I started poking around when my tires showed uneven wear. 2008 Rx 350 170k
While changing front shocks noticed leak at both rack and pinion boots. Also noticed sway bars and ball joints and bushings worn.

I had to face the harsh reality of luxury car maintenance. The positive side of biting the bullet is Lexus will last for ever if regularly maintained not to mention the great ride.
I know this seems like a lot of work, which it is, but it is impressive that at that kind of mileage, that’s all the car really needs. For most brands, it s shocking but for Toyota/ Lexus, it’s pretty much the norm.
Old 09-17-20 | 12:40 AM
Bluerobotz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by rypaga
This is all very helpful. Sounds like she may still have good life to her. I have a very trustworthy mechanic that does suspension/brakes. But I don't have one for engine work and for the life of me can't find one that might specialize in toyota/lex. Does anyone know of a good one in RI...or a way to find one specializing in toy/lex? I had an audi s4 that I brought to an indy and they screwed up an oil change with the wrong filter so I am hesitant on trusting any shop.
I'd ask your good suspension/brakes mechanic for recommendations if you trust him. He probably has good contacts he could recommend for you. Definitely get at least one other to look it over though. Best of luck.
Old 09-18-20 | 12:35 PM
Bogey2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bogey2

I noticed leaking at my new rack and pinion boot. My guru, Scotty K advices Replacement. The price varies from $800 by Lexus to $180 by Ramen ( Detroit Axel) any advice from you folks ?
Should I change stabilizer bar bushings while at it ? Any help is appreciated since this is my first DIY vehicle 🚗 and loving it 🤓
Old 09-18-20 | 03:49 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Mine was leaking there, and I put on new boots (about $12) and added Lucas Stop leak to PS reservoir (I sucked out about 4 oz to make room), and hasn't leaked a drop in the last 15,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Dealer recommendations - kind of scary