RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

antenna broken at base

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 05:56 AM
shorty123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna broken at base

I have a Lexus RX330 (2005) which was broken at the base. I was told that this will take more than 2 hours to repair (maybe 3). Parts and labor could cost up to $1000. I got quotes from the dealer and am waiting on a quote from an auto repair shop. The auto repair shop also said that the repair could take up to 3 hours.

Is there some less expensive option for fixing the antenna or purchasing some other type of antenna? I already have a VicTsing FM transmitter and know how to use bluetooth to play music using my cell phone. On another note, is there some way to play audio from my phone to a fm transmitter via aux input? Bluetooth audio is lossy.

Here is my broken antenna. It is broken in such a way that it is not a simple mast replacement. I was told that the mast can not be salvaged.

Last edited by shorty123; 09-20-20 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-21-20, 10:05 AM
crz95
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dang that sucks.

I'm sorry if my response isn't helpful since it has nothing to do with fixing your antenna, but:

If you haven't already, why don't you consider a bluetooth streaming kit?

I don't know if it's just me, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 to fix my antenna if it broke. I never listen to radio.

Best thing i've done for my RX is install a bluetooth streaming kit. What's better than playing your own music from your own playlists?

I bought a "Yatour" model, not sure if this is the right one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32764063330.html

It works beautifully well, connects automatically every time I get in the car with perfect audio quality.
You also get an SD card slot, USB, and AUX.
Old 09-21-20, 06:08 PM
shorty123
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your response. I already have this:
VicTsing-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Hands-Free-Assistant VicTsing-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Hands-Free-Assistant

I would prefer to not play music via bluetooth, though.
Old 09-22-20, 02:47 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

The antenna base is part number 86300-48140. A brand new one from the dealer is list price $415. New one on e-bay is $323. Used parts start at around $125.

You have to unbolt it from the inside of the car, requiring you drop the headliner. If you know what you are doing, you can drop the edge of the headliner, change the part and reassemble the car in an hour, less if you don't take a break.

A regular car repair place probably is not experienced with headliner removal. The quote of 2 hours, maybe 3 says that place is not. 3 hours is probably the standard time for completely removing and replacing the headliner. If you can find an auto upholstery shop, get a quote from them.
Old 09-22-20, 06:32 PM
shorty123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The antenna base is part number 86300-48140. A brand new one from the dealer is list price $415. New one on e-bay is $323. Used parts start at around $125.

You have to unbolt it from the inside of the car, requiring you drop the headliner. If you know what you are doing, you can drop the edge of the headliner, change the part and reassemble the car in an hour, less if you don't take a break.

A regular car repair place probably is not experienced with headliner removal. The quote of 2 hours, maybe 3 says that place is not. 3 hours is probably the standard time for completely removing and replacing the headliner. If you can find an auto upholstery shop, get a quote from them.
Dennis, thanks for your reply. It was the Lexus dealer that was quoting me a repair job that would take more than 2 hours (maybe 3). It looks like this repair job will be expensive no matter what because the parts themselves are already so expensive. I might get this repaired using my comprehensive insurance policy in which case I pay the deductible.
Old 09-29-20, 12:40 PM
TimB52
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same exact problem, going to try this thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...4AAOSwkLddbXTn

Old 09-29-20, 12:47 PM
shorty123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimB52
I have the same exact problem, going to try this thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...4AAOSwkLddbXTn
It looks like you need to be able to screw this part into the base.

Last edited by shorty123; 09-29-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-29-20, 12:56 PM
TimB52
Driver School Candidate

I think the screw is just for the wire. Hoping I can attach it to the little metal tab that's left in the broken mast. Might have to drill it out a little ffor a self tapping screw or something like that. Peel and stick for the base itself, it would appear. I'll let you know how it works out. Not much to lose at $7.99!
The following users liked this post:
shorty123 (09-29-20)
Old 10-04-20, 07:59 PM
TimB52
Driver School Candidate

Alrightee then...

I got this thing installed and I'm calling the issue solved for $7.99. The little folded antenna on the circuit board does improve reception.

Took some pics, didn't think they be this big...

You get this in the box.

Size comparison

I cut the eye terminal off, trimmed some copper strands then crimped this female spade terminal on the wire. The case wasn't perfectly flat, so I laid a piece of sand paper on the counter and leveled it.

You can pry up one side of the contact to stand it up.

Apply the adhesive stuff and connect the wire. You may have to smush the female a tad with some pliers if it doesn't fit tightly. Stick it down...

Et Voila!

Reception is better, especially FM. Looks good, works for me!

Tim
spinellib (02-20-21)
Old 10-05-20, 04:39 AM
shorty123
Driver School Candidate

That is the cheapest fix ever! Thanks for posting the photos. Did you use some kind of electronically conductive adhesive?

Last edited by shorty123; 10-05-20 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-05-20, 07:51 AM
TimB52
Driver School Candidate

No, just the peel and stick stuff they provided to hold the case down. Wire connector was just crimped on the wire and friction fit to the remaining contact on the antenna. Easy-peazy...
shorty123 (10-05-20)
Old 10-07-20, 07:16 AM
shorty123
Driver School Candidate

Can I glue the broken base (black rubber part) back onto the base so that I can attach the shark fin without modifications? I understand that the shark fin antenna screws into the base. Can I re-attach the black part of the broken base with rubber cement? I like the idea of using a shark fin antenna since this would apply less stress on the base (which is already compromised).

Old 10-07-20, 07:41 AM
TimB52
Driver School Candidate

No, I don't think that will work well. You can't get a good electrical connection between the two metal parts using glue.
Old 10-07-20, 10:04 AM
shorty123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimB52
No, I don't think that will work well. You can't get a good electrical connection between the two metal parts using glue.
Tim -- are you saying that the black part is also metal?
Old 10-07-20, 10:09 AM
TimB52
Driver School Candidate

Well no, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Maybe you could post a pic of the other side of that broken part?

Quick Reply: antenna broken at base