RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Comparing RX330 to VW Touareg V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-03, 05:08 PM
jsbsanfran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Comparing RX330 to VW Touareg V6

Hello,
the unthinkable has happened for me, a bad crash in my RX300, and while I wait to find out whether it's been written off or not I'm 'preparing for the worst'.

I'd sincerely appreciate some feedback on members feel are the pro's and cons of the V6 Model Touareg,

(B]Yes I already know it weighs more, is a little less powerful and milage is not so good.[/B])

Have any members road-tested it or considered as part of their buying process?

Your feedback much appreciated, although I do hope my RX300 can be repaired and this becomes a redundant exercise.

Thanking you
James
2001 RX300 AWD Mineral Green Nav/Prem Package... R.I.P.
Old 09-14-03, 09:46 PM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: Comparing RX330 to VW Touareg V6

For me, this would be the choice:

between RX330 and Treg V6: RX330
between RX330 and Treg V8: Treg V8

In my opinion, the Touareg wins in the styling department for both interior and exterior hands down (though not sure of the V6 wheels). The Touareg is a mighty heavy vehicle for that V6 to push around, but the 6 speed auto I've read is VERY nice to keep the V6 in its power band.

The Treg is EXTREMELY technologically advanced, and with that it has several initial quirks. If you want to buy a vehicle for peace of mind, go with the Lexus hands down. If you want a more emotional vehicle with thousands of "wow cool" features, get the Treg.

Our choice came down to the Lexus GX470 and the Touareg V8. We ultimately got the GX470 ONLY because it had a third row seat and DVD based touch screen navigation (Touareg's is CD based and not touch screen). The Treg was probably the coolest vehicle I've ever been in.

If you get the Treg, definitely get the air suspension. It is remarkable.

check out the Treg forums over at vwvortex: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=39
Old 09-15-03, 07:12 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Haven't driven one, but keep in mind 2 things:
1st: It just lost a comparison to a Volvo XC, where they said the acceleration and ride are'nt something to be proud of.
2nd: VW reliabilty record is poor! other German SUVs (X5, ML) have poor reliabilty record as well.
Old 09-15-03, 09:33 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Long term reliability is a problem with VW's however, if you're one to lease over purchase, then that's not really a big deal.
Old 09-15-03, 10:06 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Well I thought the same way, but surfing at vwvortex.com and reading about people who have their cars spend weeks at the dealership or having to wait till the company admits warranty claim...
Mix reliabilty and service and I think you'll miss your Lexus dealer's service and the Lexus car's reliabilty.
Old 09-15-03, 10:15 AM
cotmc
Driver School Candidate

Post Touareg V6

Consumer Reports recently did a 6 SUV comparison, where the RX330 received their highest ranking, and the Touareg V6 finished last. (It was still rated "Very Good", but it placed behind the XC90, X5 3.0, FX35, and MDX Touring). Their online review listed the Touareg V6 0-60 time at 11.9 seconds! If you choose the T-Reg, you might want to upgrade to the V8 engine.

For my small family, the RX330 was the better choice: awesome fuel economy for an SUV, awesome dependability, good customer service, and a big improvement in driving/handling over the RX300. I would be wary of any brand new European SUV during its first model year.

If you plan to go off-road at all, or you plan to tow a trailer/boat, the T-Reg makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, I believe the RX330 is the better choice until we know whether VW has gotten its act together regarding the reliability and customer service issues. Just my $.02!
Old 09-15-03, 02:25 PM
JRB
Pole Position

I like the exterior looks of the Touareg a lot. With the V8 engine and air suspension, it is also a better handling and performing vehicle than the RX330. The Consumer Reports comparision notwithstanding, Car & Driver magazine actually chose the Touareg V8 model as their favorite over a half-dozen others, saying that it does everything well. But like others I would have serious reservations about both reliability and the dealer network (service after the sale, which is sure to be needed). You can almost count on these proving to become big disadvantages, especially compared to the RX330. As intriguing as the Touareg might be, I would be very wary about these issues. And unless you really need the offroad capability (with all of the extra weight and mileage penalty that go with it) or extra towing capacity - more than double that of the RX330 - you would be spending extra for capacity you wouldn't use, both at time of purchase and at the gas pump for as long as you would own it.
Old 09-15-03, 02:34 PM
tomrx330
Driver School Candidate

Cool

My take on this subject. Do you intent to use it for serious Off-road? The fact is more than 90% of SUV owners never use their vehicles for serious off-road. Just look at H2 ads, it's only for the image.

Without any doubt, RX330 is much better than T-reg.

Good luck on your new car.
Old 09-15-03, 03:15 PM
cotmc
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by JRB
The Consumer Reports comparision notwithstanding, Car & Driver magazine actually chose the Touareg V8 model as their favorite over a half-dozen others, saying that it does everything well.
I believe off-road capability was a major factor why Car & Driver chose the Touareg V8 as their favorite. Let's face it, cross-over vehicles like the FX and RX are not really intended to be driven off road. Much of this Car & Driver comparison testing was performed off-road. If this test was performed the way 90%+ of the SUVs are actually driven (ie. completely on pavement -- maybe with some snow and inclement weather), I'm not so sure the results would have been the same.

Knowing the priority that Car & Driver places on performance, I'm fairly certain the V6 T-Reg would not have rated nearly as well as the V8.
Old 09-15-03, 05:38 PM
EvilStan
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

I thought the RX330 wasn't in the Car & Driver line up. They did do a lot of deciding upon off road capabilities, but who in their right mind takes a $40k vehicle off roading? Not me!
Old 09-15-03, 06:58 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by cotmc
If this test was performed the way 90%+ of the SUVs are actually driven (ie. completely on pavement -- maybe with some snow and inclement weather), I'm not so sure the results would have been the same.
I still have that issue of C&D and am now looking at the comparison. Incidentally, the RX330 was not tested, but the GX470 was - it came in second, behind the Touareg, garnering 91 total points to the Touareg's 95. The Acura MDX (like the RX330 - not a truck-based SUV - came in third with 90 points.

In coming up with the point totals, off-road capability was just one of eleven categories, and the engine was another one. The Touareg led the pack or tied in many other areas, like driveline, on-road handling, driver comfort, features and amenities, fit and finish, value, styling, and fun to drive. The Lexus GX470 placed first in on-road ride, 9 to 8 for the Touareg and several others. For off-road capability the GX470 tied with the Touareg and Land Rover Discovery SE at 9 each.

Originally posted by cotmc
Knowing the priority that Car & Driver places on performance, I'm fairly certain the V6 T-Reg would not have rated nearly as well as the V8.
No doubt it would have knocked 2 or 3 points off the engine and fun to drive scores, which would have narrowed or even closed the 5 point gap, possibly knocking it into second or third place. With all the extra weight the Touareg needs the extra power of the V8, or the big diesel which is supposed to come here next year.

Disclaimer: These C&D comparison tests, with their equal ratings placed on all of these categories, are inherently subjective. Those who place more weight on long-term quality and reliability as well as the dealer service network will come to a different conclusion.

Last edited by JRB; 09-15-03 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 07:13 PM
J.B
Driver School Candidate

If my '99 RX300 were totaled, I would be very hesitant in getting the RX330 vs. the FX35! I would never get the full value of the 99 Lexus from my insurer, therefore could not afford the new RX330. However, the FX35 would be MY pick: good styling, comfortable and enough power to tow my 2800 lbs trailer.

Maybe something to think about. Good luck

JB
Old 09-16-03, 09:15 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by JRB
No doubt it would have knocked 2 or 3 points off the engine and fun to drive scores, which would have narrowed or even closed the 5 point gap, possibly knocking it into second or third place.
Add up the numbers yourself and see if they match C&D's totals. C&D just did a comparison of sports cars and the winner didn't seem right. So I added the numbers myself and they didn't add up. Then I noticed the small note below the chart. It basically says that the over-all number is pulled out of thin air and doesn't represent the real total. Doesn't make since to me, but oh well. I never rely on a mags conclusion anyways. I just read the details and then do my own rating (after a test drive).

I remember reading that review (I had just started looking for a new SUV) and thinking they only rated it #1 because it was a brand new vehicle. It wasn't even in production yet! They gave it a 10 for style, but I'll bet they didn't give the Passat a 10 for style (which looks like a smaller twin).

Don't get me wrong, I like the Toureg (hate the name), but I'd give it a 8 or 9 for style. And while the interior looks neat, it's not in the same league as the Lexus (RX or GX) ergonomically.

When/if I trade in the Durango, the Toureg will be on my list to review, but from what I’ve seen so far, it’ll place below the Lexus GX (I already have a RX330 – the H400 will be on my list though).

John
Old 09-16-03, 12:09 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by j4ydubs
When/if I trade in the Durango, the Toureg will be on my list to review, but from what I’ve seen so far, it’ll place below the Lexus GX (I already have a RX330 – the H400 will be on my list though).

John
Point well taken about the review and their scoring system - as I noted these comparisons are inherently subjective no matter how objective they may try to be. I personally do like the exterior styling of the VW better than the GX, but that's just one man's opinion which is even more subjective than the C&D comparison test. I still wouldn't seriously consider either vehicle because I don't need the extra weight or off-road capability anyway.

In terms of reliability it seems that more issues have popped up on the GX than the RX so far, at least according to the discussion boards at Edmunds, but I have no doubt that Lexus will address them quicker and more thoroughly than VW. And the odds are great that the GX will also be cheaper to own over the long run than the Touareg. If I needed a more rugged SUV the Touareg would be appealing because it does have many attractive qualities to it, but I would probably wait a year or so and see how other buyers do with it first. Would also probably do a short term lease and keep it only in warranty, just in case.