RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just purchased 2008 Rx350 and there is a leak.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 12:17 PM
blazinva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased 2008 Rx350 and there is a leak.

Hi guys I notice there a leak under my car. Anyone know what this part called? I would like to fix it by myself if possible. Please look at the picture. Thank you

There a oil leak in the middle of the picture.
Old 10-07-20, 12:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

There is no leak. It looks like someone (accidentally or intentionally) wiped grease on the sway bar bushing bracket. If I had to guess, while they were in there changing the sway bar endlinks that look like they were recently changed
The following users liked this post:
Lexuswiz (10-07-20)
Old 10-07-20, 06:18 PM
blazinva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS
There is no leak. It looks like someone (accidentally or intentionally) wiped grease on the sway bar bushing bracket. If I had to guess, while they were in there changing the sway bar endlinks that look like they were recently changed
Ahh.. Gotcha.. I was scare abit since it look rusted pretty bad. Should I worry about the rusted parts shown in the picture. Thank you
Old 10-07-20, 08:56 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by blazinva
.... Should I worry about the rusted parts shown in the picture. Thank you
Yes if you worry about your ears...
Old 10-07-20, 10:13 PM
mumble
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That rust is pretty bad, I hope it's not that bad any further than the swaybar mounts. The swaybar was probably stuck in the bushings when they went to replace the link, so they sprayed the bushing, hence no leak.
Are those cracks in the sway bar mount? If it were seized I could see the mount being stretched and cracking. I'd look over and post pics of the rest of the suspension, there could be something you need to address.

Last edited by mumble; 10-07-20 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 09:24 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It's all relative. For someone in California, this may look terminal, for from someone in Western NY, this is nothing. It's a 13 year old car, this is not bad rust at all. That being said, to prevent it from getting worse, spray it down with fluid film (suggest looking into it) and you'll be fine.
Old 10-08-20, 05:47 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 419 Posts

It's all relative. For someone in California, this may look terminal, for from someone in Western NY, this is nothing. It's a 13 year old car, this is not bad rust at all. That being said, to prevent it from getting worse, spray it down with fluid film (suggest looking into it) and you'll be fine.
Yea, your correct, being from California......It really looks bad to me.....
Old 10-09-20, 01:28 PM
blazinva
Driver School Candidate

Thank you i will definitely check it out. The car is in such a good shape interior and exterior.. Only 50k miles on it. I will try get this thing last atleast 5 more years
Old 10-09-20, 02:17 PM
mumble
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you i will definitely check it out. The car is in such a good shape interior and exterior.. Only 50k miles on it. I will try get this thing last atleast 5 more years
The best rust sealant I've found is T9 by Boeing. They developed it for use in aircraft. It's a bit pricier than other brands but you just spray it onto rusty metal and it forms a fairly permanent bond that is dry and won't attract dirt.
Old 10-11-20, 04:29 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 419 Posts

Really should last decades if you get the surface rust squared away.......even if you have a shop do it......