RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

shaking on braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20 | 07:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Chances are they been slightly cracked for years like everyone elses at this years and mileage- only if they were really bad I could see doing it.

Did they check the inner and outer tie rods for slop?
Old 10-30-20 | 09:09 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Margate330
Chances are they been slightly cracked for years like everyone elses at this years and mileage- only if they were really bad I could see doing it.

Did they check the inner and outer tie rods for slop?
Yeah. Lots of sloppy racks out there ruining those parts.
Old 10-31-20 | 08:16 AM
matts6887
Racer

this wasnt looked at at a dealer; it was looked at via a indy chain that i trust that has done tons of work already on my rx; they are wayyyyy cheaper than any dealer as well.
Old 10-31-20 | 08:27 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Felix
Don't forget about the indy shops, really no need to hit up a dealer to do it.......Have a look at http://rockauto.com or a local auto parts store for parts prices to give you a idea.......
well i dont have the tools or the facilities to do it nor the money to get the tools im broke as a joke till monday or tuesday
Old 10-31-20 | 09:21 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

!!!! This topic is about "Shaking on braking" !!!!
Old 10-31-20 | 03:36 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iMSQ
!!!! This topic is about "Shaking on braking" !!!!
The Thread Starter is convinced his shaking on braking is NOT due to his brakes because his shop tells him so. I'm not convinced, but my posts have had little influence. I suggested he resurface his existing rotors or replace them with quality aftermarket rotors. He has no money for this, but is apparently considering much more expensive repairs.
Old 10-31-20 | 03:54 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
The Thread Starter is convinced his shaking on braking is NOT due to his brakes because his shop tells him so. I'm not convinced, but my posts have had little influence. I suggested he resurface his existing rotors or replace them with quality aftermarket rotors. He has no money for this, but is apparently considering much more expensive repairs.
This was an interesting thread about engine noises the OP of this thread was hearing. Most of the regulars told him it was a pretty normal sound, his shop down the street indicated it would be an expensive repair. In the end, while not a sound anyone wants to hear, it is considered generally normal. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ing-bad-3.html

Last edited by cdnewton; 10-31-20 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-31-20 | 04:08 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cdnewton
This was an interesting thread about engine noises the OP of this thread was hearing. Most of the regulars told him it was a pretty normal sound, his shop down the street indicated it would be an expensive repair. In the end, it ended up being normal. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ing-bad-3.html
I read through the thread you referenced. It is interesting because a poster in different thread fixed their start-up noise problem by switching to 10W-30 oil.

I see the similarity in this thread and the one you referenced!
Old 10-31-20 | 04:23 PM
matts6887
Racer

I read through the thread you referenced. It is interesting because a poster in different thread fixed their start-up noise problem by switching to 10W-30 oil.

I see the similarity in this thread and the one you referenced!
are u trying to rip on me here or something just because i know what im saying to be true yet u dont seem to think i know much? what i can tell u is i trust the people at the shop i mostly have gone to for a majority of work i needed done are trustworthy and then some and that is that end of discussion..
Old 10-31-20 | 04:28 PM
matts6887
Racer

well; again im going to tell you they were inspected and there is plenty of material left on the rotors and they do 'NOT!!! need to be messed with.
Old 10-31-20 | 04:51 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matts6887
are u trying to rip on me here or something just because i know what im saying to be true yet u dont seem to think i know much? what i can tell u is i trust the people at the shop i mostly have gone to for a majority of work i needed done are trustworthy and then some and that is that end of discussion..
I'm not really ripping on you (maybe a little )...just trying to encourage you to think outside of the box (shop). Your brake problem is not a matter of the amount material left on the pads or rotors. Shaking on braking is a matter of run-out on one's rotors, or uneven deposits of pad material bonded to the rotors. However, if your mind's made up already, there is no need for you to post about it.

BTW...have you considered trying 10w-30 oil for your start-up noise? It worked for another poster.
Old 10-31-20 | 05:37 PM
Felix
Pole Position

matts6887, Your shop should have a service writer or tech, to ride w/ you & also drive it, so they know what your talking about so they can figure out what the problem your having w/ your shaking issue. Oh & 'bout your youtube vid.....There's nothing wrong w/ the noise your engine is making for that is normal for a Toyota 2gr engine. Yea it does have a more mechanical noise then other engines, but it also has stouter parts then other engines as well.....such as roller rockers, forged crank, rods & it is a open deck block as well.....IDK what kind of vehicles you've had before, but this engine design works for Lotus as they're used in the Evora S & Exige S cars w/ a blower....Possibly have a listen to Rat or Mouse motor w/ a solid lifter, gear driven cam w/ your choice of cam duration w/ headers to give you a idea 'bout mechanical engine noise.....
Old 10-31-20 | 07:05 PM
matts6887
Racer

matts6887, Your shop should have a service writer or tech, to ride w/ you & also drive it, so they know what your talking about so they can figure out what the problem your having w/ your shaking issue. Oh & 'bout your youtube vid.....There's nothing wrong w/ the noise your engine is making for that is normal for a Toyota 2gr engine. Yea it does have a more mechanical noise then other engines, but it also has stouter parts then other engines as well.....such as roller rockers, forged crank, rods & it is a open deck block as well.....IDK what kind of vehicles you've had before, but this engine design works for Lotus as they're used in the Evora S & Exige S cars w/ a blower....Possibly have a listen to Rat or Mouse motor w/ a solid lifter, gear driven cam w/ your choice of cam duration w/ headers to give you a idea 'bout mechanical engine noise.....
well seeing as how ive gone closing in on a year almost and still has not blown up on me im convinced that this noise is just much more normal of these engines than anything else.
Old 10-31-20 | 07:08 PM
matts6887
Racer

also as far as the shaking goes; i think at this point its at least partially because of the front lower control arm bushing that was found to be 30 percent torn. Honestly i highly doubt its anything to do with the brakes because as i said before there is more than enough material left on the rotors and pads as both front and rears were very recently done.
Old 10-31-20 | 08:16 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

matts6887 look back on all your posts. you ask for assistance , but never accept the opinions offered!
The following users liked this post:
iMSQ (11-01-20)

Quick Reply: shaking on braking