RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Flashing AFS light fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 01:00 PM
Mywifesrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Flashing AFS light fix

Took 2005 RX 330 to lexus technician, they responded that flashing AFS light cannot be solved by fuse removal because there isn't a dedicated fuse. Couldn't find a dedicated fuse to pull on manual so decided to try to solve the issue once and for all. The flashing AFS was driving my wife crazy. Got an aftermarket sensor for about 90 bucks shipped.

90 bucks shipped from eBay. AFS sensor + link. The provided link was not in the right orientation. Checked the original link and it was in serviceable condition so kept the new one as back up. The original is made in Japan.

Here you can see the linkage on the sensor side is hanging. The nut that secures this side to the sensor bracket arm was missing. Used the nut that was provided on the new link.

Typical push tab and pull type harness clip. One of the prongs on the sensor had broken off which was causing the AFS light to blink. I had originally just secured the hanging link back onto the sensor arm bracket to see if that would fix the flashing light but to no avail so I guessed that it was a broken sensor.

The sensor is held on by its own bracket that is connected to another bracket on the frame. You only need to remove the two 10mm bolts to get to the sensor bracket. The j shaped bracket is the sensor arm.

The sensor bracket, sensor, and sensor arm will all come off at this point.

Here you can see the aftermarket sensor next to the removed sensor. The sensor is attached to the bracket with threw philips head screws. The sensor arm is secured to the sensor by a 10mm nut. Remove the arm first because there are metal stops on the bracket arm that allow you to turn the nut counterclockwise with a 10mm socket. If you loosen the sensor first it may be wobbly making the that arm nut harder to remove.

After the arm is removed, the three philips screws are easy to get off. Then just swap out the sensor. There are plastic indices that prevent you from putting it in the wrong orientation. Nifty.

Removing the linkage nuts require a 10mm wrench on one side to secure it. Attached to the lower linkage is a washer that has a metal stopper so theoretically you can do it even without the wrench but my washer was already bent out of shape.

After cleaning up the gunk on the original link I attached everything back on. The upper linkage does require a 10mm wrench to secure the linkage whole the nut is being tightened. Notice the washer on the lower linkage that has the metal stopper.

Voila. That PITA light finally gone.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mywifesrx:
BlackLexRX (11-13-20), evident (09-20-23), Margate330 (11-13-20), matts6887 (11-14-20)
Old 11-13-20, 06:14 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Awesome detail!!!

Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-14-20, 07:32 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mywifesrx
Took 2005 RX 330 to lexus technician, they responded that flashing AFS light cannot be solved by fuse removal because there isn't a dedicated fuse. Couldn't find a dedicated fuse to pull on manual so decided to try to solve the issue once and for all. The flashing AFS was driving my wife crazy. Got an aftermarket sensor for about 90 bucks shipped.

90 bucks shipped from eBay. AFS sensor + link. The provided link was not in the right orientation. Checked the original link and it was in serviceable condition so kept the new one as back up. The original is made in Japan.

Here you can see the linkage on the sensor side is hanging. The nut that secures this side to the sensor bracket arm was missing. Used the nut that was provided on the new link.

Typical push tab and pull type harness clip. One of the prongs on the sensor had broken off which was causing the AFS light to blink. I had originally just secured the hanging link back onto the sensor arm bracket to see if that would fix the flashing light but to no avail so I guessed that it was a broken sensor.

The sensor is held on by its own bracket that is connected to another bracket on the frame. You only need to remove the two 10mm bolts to get to the sensor bracket. The j shaped bracket is the sensor arm.

The sensor bracket, sensor, and sensor arm will all come off at this point.

Here you can see the aftermarket sensor next to the removed sensor. The sensor is attached to the bracket with threw philips head screws. The sensor arm is secured to the sensor by a 10mm nut. Remove the arm first because there are metal stops on the bracket arm that allow you to turn the nut counterclockwise with a 10mm socket. If you loosen the sensor first it may be wobbly making the that arm nut harder to remove.

After the arm is removed, the three philips screws are easy to get off. Then just swap out the sensor. There are plastic indices that prevent you from putting it in the wrong orientation. Nifty.

Removing the linkage nuts require a 10mm wrench on one side to secure it. Attached to the lower linkage is a washer that has a metal stopper so theoretically you can do it even without the wrench but my washer was already bent out of shape.

After cleaning up the gunk on the original link I attached everything back on. The upper linkage does require a 10mm wrench to secure the linkage whole the nut is being tightened. Notice the washer on the lower linkage that has the metal stopper.

Voila. That PITA light finally gone.
nice write up!!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-14-20 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Prune quoted Images
Old 11-16-20, 05:00 PM
SteelBird
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I notice the under parts of your vehicle corrode seriously, you must have never washed it or do you use it in snow area?