RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

P0430 Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20 | 10:37 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carfucious
Sorry to double post. Lights have been intermittent since 230k. Currently at 231,300 and added Cataclean from walmart for $25. I’m not one to use liquid mechanic, but worth a shot instead of ordering a 50 state approved cat that’s “on sale” for $500. They recommend adding when 1/4 tank or approx 4 gallons. I added it and drove highway 15 miles and then filled the tank with Chevron premium (usually jump between Costco gas). I will post an update on my next oil change around 233k.
Waiting for your update.
Another member said nice things about that product.
I've had same code come on randomly a couple of times over the last 2 years and always when traveling out of state and getting junk gas(I'm guessing) at gas stations off the highway I-95 in GA and SC. Then it goes away and doesn't come on for a year.

I might try some just for preventative maintenance if people say it works.
Old 12-03-20 | 11:55 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by Margate330
Waiting for your update.
I've had same code come on randomly a couple of times over the last 2 years and always when traveling out of state and getting junk gas(I'm guessing) at gas stations off the highway I-95 in GA and SC. Then it goes away and doesn't come on for a year.

thanks for the info on this, now i know what might be a good workaround for this situation if and when it ever happens to mine.
Old 12-03-20 | 04:07 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Sorry to double post. Lights have been intermittent since 230k. Currently at 231,300 and added Cataclean from walmart for $25. I’m not one to use liquid mechanic, but worth a shot instead of ordering a 50 state approved cat that’s “on sale” for $500. They recommend adding when 1/4 tank or approx 4 gallons. I added it and drove highway 15 miles and then filled the tank with Chevron premium (usually jump between Costco gas). I will post an update on my next oil change around 233k.
I used cataclean and don't want to jinx it, but MIL has been off since 252k and we just turned 261k.
Now that I have typed that, my guess, our RX lights up like a Christmas tree, but hoping for the best.
The following 2 users liked this post by cdnewton:
carfucious (12-03-20), matts6887 (12-03-20)
Old 12-03-20 | 04:28 PM
matts6887
Racer

thats pretty amazing!!! 261,000 miles and counting! i hope mine gets to that point and then some. Heck I plan to drive mine til the wheels fall off so to speak. The loan on mine only has like 2-3 payments left then it will be totally paid off so no more car payments.
Old 12-03-20 | 05:36 PM
carfucious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdnewton
I used cataclean and don't want to jinx it, but MIL has been off since 252k and we just turned 261k.
Now that I have typed that, my guess, our RX lights up like a Christmas tree, but hoping for the best.
You’re the positivity I need in my life.
The following 2 users liked this post by carfucious:
engin_ear (01-11-22), matts6887 (12-04-20)
Old 12-13-20 | 10:04 AM
Felix
Pole Position

After reading this, What does the vsc have to do w/ a o2 sensor? So the mil comes on & trips the vsc light or what?
Old 12-13-20 | 11:53 AM
carfucious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Felix
After reading this, What does the vsc have to do w/ a o2 sensor? So the mil comes on & trips the vsc light or what?
I was driving and I believe the TRAC OFF and VSC came on followed by the CEL. I believe there is not correlation, but it trips the stability light. If you google lexus vsc, trac off, and check engine light, there are other models where that light is tripped.
Old 12-14-20 | 09:59 AM
Brucecav
Driver

I have an 04 rx330 with about 280k. I periodically get that P0430 code and when cleared it goes away for a month or 2. Then comes back. Car runs excellent and have not noticed a thing. I was gonna pursue it but decided to leave it alone and keep driving. I think it could be the CAT but have really noticed nothing in the way it drives.
Let me know if you figure it out and also if you decide to clear it and see if it comes back.
Id like to know how you resolve it.
Old 12-25-20 | 09:15 AM
carfucious
Driver School Candidate

Default Christmas Miracle?

Originally Posted by Margate330
Waiting for your update.

So I am nearing the 233k mark and since then the light came back on. I decided 2 days ago to get Chevron, which previously set the light at bay.

Yesterday during a holiday cruise, the lights turned off near midnight. I usually use Costco and never had an issue, but I might test if Chevron is saving my RX. I was gonna inform my parents the $8 we save on gas might be worth spending at Chevron.

My speedometer might be broken though. I was at a full stop and as I took the photo it showed a climb in MPH.
Old 12-25-20 | 09:19 AM
carfucious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdnewton
my Christmas lights turned off during Christmas. I have a small radiator leak but I think it’s just the SUV’s tears of joy to have self erased a CEL.
Old 12-25-20 | 09:53 AM
matts6887
Racer

my Christmas lights turned off during Christmas. I have a small radiator leak but I think it’s just the SUV’s tears of joy to have self erased a CEL.
well dont feel too bad; that happened to me about a month and a half ago; one evening after coming out from dinner about to head home; i noticed a small puddle under my car and i was like s----! next day i went to have it looked at only to find out one entire side of my radiator was cracked! i was really saying s---- after finding that out!! then 650 bucks later a new radiator and coolant flush
Old 12-25-20 | 10:08 AM
carfucious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by matts6887
well dont feel too bad; that happened to me about a month and a half ago; one evening after coming out from dinner about to head home; i noticed a small puddle under my car and i was like s----! next day i went to have it looked at only to find out one entire side of my radiator was cracked! i was really saying s---- after finding that out!! then 650 bucks later a new radiator and coolant flush
It was an invisible one for a while. Thought I blew a head gasket. It’s a small leak at the bottom. I’m an aspiring technician and have been contemplating the $100 radiator with lifetime warranty on eBay or remove it and Mickey Mouse some JB weld like I used to pass light and brake inspection for my retired ‘01 Benz E320. I believe there are some high heat adhesive. But I have a feeling by the time I finish the work to remove it, I might just install a new one. I might dislodge it from the radiator mount and see if I can narrow down the leak without using a pressure tester. Then just smear JB weld plastic bonder since it seemed to be on the black plastic side bars of the radiator. The leak is so minimal there is no puddle only lightly seeping out area near the bottom post. I fortunately purchased LED high beams and noticed low coolant, but no overheating issue.
Old 12-25-20 | 10:38 AM
matts6887
Racer

It was an invisible one for a while. Thought I blew a head gasket. It’s a small leak at the bottom. I’m an aspiring technician and have been contemplating the $100 radiator with lifetime warranty on eBay or remove it and Mickey Mouse some JB weld like I used to pass light and brake inspection for my retired ‘01 Benz E320. I believe there are some high heat adhesive. But I have a feeling by the time I finish the work to remove it, I might just install a new one. I might dislodge it from the radiator mount and see if I can narrow down the leak without using a pressure tester. Then just smear JB weld plastic bonder since it seemed to be on the black plastic side bars of the radiator. The leak is so minimal there is no puddle only lightly seeping out area near the bottom post. I fortunately purchased LED high beams and noticed low coolant, but no overheating issue.
you and i are lucky in that ours didnt overheat because if that were to happen we would really have big problems!. U can try some of that radiator "stop leak" stuff from like autozone or other parts stores as that may fix it at least temporairily. yes the plastic "bars" area where it meets the metal on both sides; well one side of mine was leaking all the way down so realistically there would have been no way to fix it short of replacing it like i had done.
Old 12-25-20 | 11:34 AM
carfucious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by matts6887
you and i are lucky in that ours didnt overheat because if that were to happen we would really have big problems!. U can try some of that radiator "stop leak" stuff from like autozone or other parts stores as that may fix it at least temporairily. yes the plastic "bars" area where it meets the metal on both sides; well one side of mine was leaking all the way down so realistically there would have been no way to fix it short of replacing it like i had done.
I was taught in school to stray from liquid mechanic fix. Like a/c stop leak. It ends up going through the whole system and contaminating it. An instructor said one time he was recovering Freon after someone used a can or two where it ended up clogging the machine to recover. I’m guilty of using Michelin tire repair for a small staple leak and drove over the recommended 50 miles because I read online it was tested until 500 miles. After 600 miles, I decided to get a new set at Costco.
Old 12-25-20 | 04:57 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Not a fan of JB weld on anything cooling related.
Hoping to save some heartache for others- the rx330 has 2 different radiators for vehicles with/without tow package and they do not interchange.
What happened to me is I bought an all Aluminum radiator from local auto part store that said it fit both but they do not- they look similar but the lower mounting brackets are different and it does not fit and cost me a lot of aggrevation returning it and finding one that fit,

I think Rockauto has all Aluminum Denso's but I did not have the luxury of time to wait for delivery- coolant was pouring out the bottom.

Quick Reply: P0430 Code