RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cost effective brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23 | 03:32 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Just to add, between the 2 for the gen 3's I find the Japanese caliper casting looks a little better, but then you don't see it once installed & has 45 mm pistons vs the Candian caliper which has 44mm pistons. I went w/ the Candian pr w/ the 44mm pistons. Is the 1mm noticeable, no I don't think so. Can I feel it ? What I can feel & you'll find it as well is a firmer pedal w/ less travel as well as increased stopping power....I'd recommend you go w/ a set of SS brake hoses & flush out the old fluid w/ new dot 3. At the very least swap out the old oem brakes hoses w/ new ones...Your there breaking system open anyhow... One more thing is since these calipers use clips & shims, & knowing the paint/powder coating is going to need to be redone, I added MGP calipers covers w/ the Lexus logo & the ''L'' logo. I went w/ the black covers....Looks better then seeing the clips/shims....
Old 05-23-23 | 08:53 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Bump for ppl's 411.............
Old 09-18-23 | 11:17 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Felix
Today I installed a pr of Hawk Talon rotors w/ Hawk ceramic pads.......Ordered them from http://tirerack.com last Monday morning & I received them Thrusday afternoon. All Hawk products @ Tirerack are on sale till the end of the month.
Update, w/ 17k on these brakes still going strong......My thoughs on the Bosch rotors, made a mistake going w/ the Wagner oex pads, instead of Bosch pads.
The following users liked this post:
MattRX (09-18-23)
Old 10-10-23 | 04:29 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Default LS430 brake upgrade

Just upgraded the rotors and pads on my 05 LS. I installed Stoptech drilled/slotted in front (partly because I couldn’t find slotted only) and slotted in the rear. Installed Porterfield R4s carbon pads, which I have been using on my LX since 2006. They have a higher friction coefficient than other leading street performance pads like EBC/Project Mu and are very low dust and easy on rotors. The ART cryo slotted rotors on the LX show little sign of wear after 17 years (I may replace them next year due to rust on non-braking surfaces). Also painted the calipers with the G2 nut kit.

After bedding the pads and allowing the rotors to fully cool without braking, the stopping power is far superior to OEM. OEM was already very good, but this is phenomenal with very linear feel. Next upgrade is Stoptech stainless brake lines next time I pull off the wheels.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 10-10-23 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Forgot results
MattRX (10-10-23)
Old 10-10-23 | 11:49 AM
MattRX
Racer

Just picked up this bad boy for 20 bucks from the junkyard. 2010 IS350 brake booster and master cyl. The MC is 7/8” bore like stock and has the same specs, but the booster is 10” instead of 10.5”. Hopefully I’ll have a firmer and less over-boosted pedal feel like my Highlander which also has a 10” booster.

I plan on taking both MC apart and comparing the differences. Then installing the IS MC and booster hopefully for a less squishy and more responsive pedal feel (I already have SS lines and it still has a lot of travel like a typical Toyota and every 2RX I’ve driven) Stay tuned

fred9xx (10-11-23)
Old 11-21-23 | 07:34 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Default Performance update, still going strong

Originally Posted by Felix
Update, the Hawk performance pads & Talon rotors are still going strong w/ no issues. Best brakes this rx ever had. For a cost effective upgrade.....Took me a bit to figure what brands to go with thou......On performance vehicles, I go w/ Baer using either their 4 piston or 6 piston alloy calipers w/ their 13-14'' 1.3'' two piece rotors w/ their Matrix pads.......btw I see Stoptech offers a BBK which includes their 13'' two piece rotors, 4 piston calipers for $2K....Great upgrade as it is going to reduce static & rotation lbs, w/ alloy calipers & hats, as well as the stopping performance...But then is it really cost effective, vs going w/ good brand of rotors/pads & a pr of reman calipers w/ SS brakes hoses for a gen3 upgrade? Yeah your adding more static weight being the gen3 calipers are iron vs alloy....
Update- Since 4-22-22, The Hawk Talon brake kit is still braking/stopping strong, no squeaks, noises ect,
Old 02-26-24 | 10:49 AM
MattRX
Racer

Note: Since this post is a little messy, confusing and there's lots of back and forth. If doing the rear upgrade on a 2nd gen RX, make sure to use 2008-2013 Highlander rotors. The 3rd gen RX and 3rd gen Highlander rear rotors have too large of a hat, so once they go on you'll have no working parking brake as the shoes will never be able to touch

Update:
The MC and booster upgrade have been on for a bit now and have been single-handedly one of the best and most confidence-inspiring mods I have done to the car! The Lexus IS booster didn't end up fitting, I went with a 2013-2018 RAV4 10" booster (vs. 10.5" for stock) and a 2011-2016 Scion TC master cydliner. SUPER firm and responsive now, no more squishy dead luxury pedal anymore! Feels similar to a German sports car! In my case, an E46 M3! It's not all a waste though, that IS/GS master cylinder is a direct upgrade for the stock brake booster, post attached below! Brakes are doing strong on both cars! Still lots of life left and this are definitely wearing better than stock front to back. HL still has half the pad life w/ it's Akebono ProACT pads and Centric rotors are smooth, RX is as smooth as ever as well, slightly louder due to the more aggressive Raybestos EHT pads, but the Advics rotors are still fresh too!

Master and booster swap: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...on-hybrid.html
MUCH easier method with 06-15 IS/GS brake master cylinder: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11659231

Post about vented rear brakes on a 2nd gen RX using IS350 rotors: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...otors.1717625/

Master post with all the brake options and info: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...page-5#replies

Old 02-26-24 | 09:54 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by MattRX
Note: Since this post is a little messy, confusing and there's lots of back and forth. If doing the rear upgrade on a 2nd gen RX, make sure to use 2008-2013 Highlander rotors. The 3rd gen RX and 3rd gen Highlander rear rotors have too large of a hat, so once they go on you'll have no working parking brake as the shoes will never be able to touch

This^^^ to start out w/ Gen 2 '08-'13 Highlander rotors of your choice. Next is to check out 3rd gen rx pads(#1391) vs 2nd gen Highlander pads (#1325) as you'll see the 1325's are longer & not as wide vs the 1325's which are wider but slighly shorter, the pads dictate what calipers to use.....Also great to replace the oem brake hoses & flush the old brake fluid out w/ new dot 3 fluid....It'd be great to upgrade the SS brake hoses since your there.......I went w/ the Hawk Talon rotors w/ Hawk performance ceramic pads w/ Goodridge ss brake hoses.... Also since these calipers aren't alloy & use clips/shims, I added MGP Caliper cover(gloss blk w/ Lexus printed on) for a cleaner appearance as these calipers aren't like I'm use to..

Master post with all the brake options and info: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...page-5#replies
Old 03-17-24 | 07:09 AM
99magna
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattRX
On my Highlander (Japan) I have the Japan-made calipers (from a 2008 Highlander) and on my RX350 (Japan) I have the USA calipers (2019 Sienna). If I could describe the differences between the two, it would be very subtle. The USA-made one has a slightly different casting for the bracket, but all the hardware (sliding pins, clips, bolts, etc) directly fit it and for the most part they are identical. On my Highlander and 2014 RX350 I've been running the Centric rotors, but on my 2008 RX I decided to try the OEM Advics rotors from my local dealer as they were the cheapest for me at the time (Canada) and I didn't have to pay shipping. So far they are holding up great, but I feel the coating on the Raybestos or Centrics is a little more heavy duty.
Hello MattRX,

First of all I want to Thank you and Felix for the contribution to this forum, I have a 2009 RX350 made in NA with factory 18" wheels. I would like to up grade the just front brake only for now. I want to order from Rock Auto web site. Can you list out all the parts numbers that I need to buy for the front brake so I will be order the correct parts ( I am a bit confused after reading ) , also what is the part numbers and where to buy the S/S brake hoses. Thank you for your time
Felix (03-17-24)
Old 03-17-24 | 09:26 AM
MattRX
Racer

Felix got his hoses from Tirerack and I got my hoses from Safebrake on eBay Australia. If they’re for an 04-09 RX or 01-07 Highlander, they’ll fit. RX300 ones will too, but the front hoses are a little longer by 1.5”.

My last post has a link to my Toyota Nation post that has all the part numbers you’ll need to get hooked up.
Old 03-17-24 | 04:35 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99magna
Hello MattRX,

First of all I want to Thank you and Felix for the contribution to this forum, I have a 2009 RX350 made in NA with factory 18" wheels. I would like to up grade the just front brake only for now. I want to order from Rock Auto web site. Can you list out all the parts numbers that I need to buy for the front brake so I will be order the correct parts ( I am a bit confused after reading ) , also what is the part numbers and where to buy the S/S brake hoses. Thank you for your time
You'll need to load up a gen3, I used a 2011 rx. For the calipers, either the N/A or Japanese work, doesn't matter. Also IDK if you were to order the calipers, Would you have to pay for the core shipping? Possibly easier to get a pr of reman calipers from your local auto parts store & toss the cores in the boxes to get your core $ back. Then you can order your pads/rotors online. I went w/ Hawk Talon rotors w/ Hawk ceramic pads & used Goodridge G-stop SS brake hoses for a 2011 rx.. http://tirerack.com has a 10% off for March thru April btw........Also great to flush your old brake fluild for new dot 3 fluid, since you'll have the brake fluid open.
Old 07-31-24 | 12:44 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Update, I swapped out the last Saturday after work, the Hawk pads/rotors for Import direct pads/rotors, thanx to grooves in the rotors of thanx to the rotors being drilled. I've never had issues w/ drilled rotors, but then possibly Baer brakes I always use on other vehicles makes a difference. IDK how Power Stop kits are, I'll stick w/ the regular plain rotors. I went w/ the Import direct since they are repackaged Bosch pads/rotors. Now on to what pads to use, #1325's vs #1391's for the rear upgrade.....Yeah it'd be great to do the IS vented rotors, but finding rear calipers thanx to the wider vented rotors. I'll go w/ the 2nd gen Highlander rotors.
Old 08-08-24 | 07:38 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Since I was swapping out the front pads/rotors, I decided to upgrage the rear brakes for the '08-'13 Highlander 12.1'' rotors vs the oem 11.3' size rotors. I thought that then you could use either the gen 3 calipers or the gen 2 Highlander calipers. Nope as the bracket for the gen3 rx caliper bracket hits the inside of the rotor. It is so tight that you can't even bolt it on. The bracket where it bolts to the spindle has a additional 10-15 mm of material vs the Highlander bracket which is flush all the way up. So I returned the rx pads & calipers for the Highlander ones. I didn't have both of them at the samr time or I would of tried the Highlander brackets w/ the rx calipers. So for all of you going for the rear brake upgrade, You'll need to use the '08-'13 Highlander pads, rotors & calipers= Direct bolt on w/ no issues. For the front any gen3 rx & '08-'13 Highlander pads/rotors & calipers are a direct bolt on.......Either the N/A calipers or Japanese calipers work, doesn't matter.....To me & a buddy to deal w/ this for a bit. Got it figured out w/ no modifcations, grinding the gen3 brackets, ect. Oh the rear backing plate, just bend it a little & your good. I was going to sawall it, but my buddy just bent it around a little & your good.......Hope this helps out some ppl, yeah its worth it......
MattRX (08-08-24)
Old 08-08-24 | 07:57 PM
MattRX
Racer

For anyone reading this, he's some pics & proof of why 3rd gen RX calipers will not fit 2nd gen HL rotors

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ar-brakes.html
Old 08-24-24 | 05:50 PM
Felix
Pole Position

For my full on cost effective oem style brake upgrade, w/ gen 3 Highlander rear pads/rotors/calipers, I find the slighly bigger diametter rotors & the bigger pad surface area vs the gen2 oem size does help. Its not as dramtic as the front brake upgrade, while I find it does help. >>>If your needing front brakes, By all means, you'll need to add pads/rotors & a pr of reman calipers for a gen3 rx to your must do list & also a great time to swap out the oem brake hoses as well as flush the old brake fluid w/ new dot3 fluid.The rotors & pads are pretty much awash, price wise vs the oem size, just need to get a pr of reman calipers, then toss your oem calipers in the boxes to get your core $ back. The rears aren't as critical as the fronts, but if your up to it, I'd do it. Use the '08-'13 gen 2 Highlander pads/rotors/calipers & your good, just a slight tweak to the backing plates. I also lightly sanded the rear parking shoes as well. I find the rear brake upgrade does help, thanx to the ..080'' bigger diameter rotors as well as 1/3 bigger pad surface area vs the 2nd gen setup. >>>If your wanting to go w/ a bigger oem 14'' rotors w/ 4 pot calipers, theres alway the GR Corolla brake setup. Use either the oem GR rotors/pads or a pr of one piece '14+ GS350f or IS500 aftermarket rotors to cut costs, then you'll need a pr of http://350phi.com brackets. Decisions, decisions ? Then a look at the pad surface area of the GR pads vs the gen3 pads, but then the 14'' GR rotors add a little over .05'' over the 12.9'' rotors. Then the GR caliper pistons are 34.6mm x2= 69.2 vs 44mmf x 2 = 88 for the gen 3 calipers. One more choice to the mix for 'ya, but since I've swapped out pads/rotors 4 times on the front, just need to use good products w/ no mix/matching. I could of gone w/ a stoptech bbk a few yrs ago thou.......>>>Anyhow your input,thoughts & ideas are a welcome.........