RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tool Reviews for Affordable DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 11:22 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts
Default Relay Kit and Stubby Gauges

Originally Posted by spinellib

From Left to Right: the telescoping Lisle Hood Prop. You can prop up hoods, liftgates, and I've even used it on the brake pedal to help me bleed brake lines. Current price is about $30.
Next is the Bead Buster. I just used it the other day to change a TPMS, and I didn't scratch the wheel. $120.
An old school "Short Finder" I picked up off ebay for a few bucks. The idea is to keep the circuit live long enough without blowing the fuse and moving the gauge over wire harnesses. The needle will move and lead to the break in the wire.
Then there is relay bypass switch kit with amp loops. This cost about $80 and could save a trip to the mechanic with the fancy computer and fancy tools.
Finally, a pair of Yellow Jacket AC gauges for quick and easy pressure checks without the hassle of hoses and loss of refrigerant. $60.
I am really liking that Relay Kit.

Those stubby Gauges are sweeeeeet.
Old 06-18-22, 06:27 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

I just picked up a used Ultrasonic Detector off ebay for $125. This neat bit of kit can be used as a "stethoscope" and detect the >20khz frequency noise made by air leaks.
With the Transmitter, it can detect windshield and door gasket leaks. A youtuber made a video explaining how these devices can be useful:

Below is a smoke machine I got off ebay. Some guys make these at home and sell them on ebay for about $90, which is hundreds less than a fancy smoke machine that does the same thing. Next to it is hose removal pliers, Lisle 47900, that only cost about $10.

Last edited by spinellib; 06-18-22 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added pics
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (06-18-22)
Old 06-18-22, 07:40 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 507 Likes on 441 Posts

I'd add a long 17mm rachetting wrench for swapping out the rear rotors, as its tight w/ those bolts, I need to find mine soon.......
Old 06-20-22, 05:54 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Below is a smoke machine I got off ebay. Some guys make these at home and sell them on ebay for about $90, which is hundreds less than a fancy smoke machine that does the same thing. Next to it is hose removal pliers, Lisle 47900, that only cost about $10.

Oh that will come in real handy if you ever have to chase down an evap leak.

How many psi do you need to run it?
Got rid of my big air compressor but I have a small pancake, you think that will be enough air?
I've never used a smoke machine so I don't know how to make the smoke.
Old 06-20-22, 06:30 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Not a bad deal. A decent ratchet is more than this buy itself. They also have other deals
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...keyword=664353
Old 06-20-22, 09:20 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
How many psi do you need to run it?
Got rid of my big air compressor but I have a small pancake, you think that will be enough air?
I've never used a smoke machine so I don't know how to make the smoke.
The regulator you see sticking out the side is set really low, like 1 psi, I think. A small compressor is plenty.
The can has a small amount of Mineral Oil in it that is soaking a wick-covered wire. Wire heats up the oil and produces smoke, smoke is pushed out by air. Simple!

Originally Posted by lexo98
Not a bad deal. A decent ratchet is more than this buy itself. They also have other deals
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...keyword=664353
I didn't know Ace Hardware sold Craftsman, too. I thought it was exclusively sold at Lowes.
Old 06-21-22, 08:33 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

The regulator you see sticking out the side is set really low, like 1 psi, I think. A small compressor is plenty.
The can has a small amount of Mineral Oil in it that is soaking a wick-covered wire. Wire heats up the oil and produces smoke, smoke is pushed out by air. Simple!

I didn't know Ace Hardware sold Craftsman, too. I thought it was exclusively sold at Lowes.
They were exclusive to Sears for the longest time. Now they are at a lot of places. Not sure if the quality changed, but they still have a lifetime warranty
Old 06-21-22, 08:56 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

I've always bought snap-on tools because of the quality and the dealer comes to you. I use other brands as well.

Margate330 (06-21-22)
Old 06-21-22, 12:42 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gerf
I've always bought snap-on tools because of the quality and the dealer comes to you. I use other brands as well.
In no way bashing snap-on but for the normal everyday guy they are way over priced. That’s a nice set up though
Old 06-21-22, 05:22 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Default Snap on tools are cool

Originally Posted by lexo98
They were exclusive to Sears for the longest time. Now they are at a lot of places. Not sure if the quality changed, but they still have a lifetime warranty
I thought Lowe's had some kind of exclusive deal on Craftsman only because that's only retailer I've seen them at in last few years.

Love the tool box and what's inside.
I'm a Snap On fan but a little expensive for me even tho they are awesome.

You have anything in the Box you like to share that you consider a must for DIY for our cars and worth the money?
Plz post pic and description if you do and if ya want to.

Last edited by Margate330; 06-21-22 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-21-22, 06:19 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 632 Posts

I think a coolant pressure tester is a must have for finding visible leaks(ones that will be visible when you use the tool but hard to see otherwise) and checking repairs.

Also one of these makes refilling your cooling system a breeze, but you need an air compressor. Auto supply places probably have reasonably priced units.

Last edited by Gerf; 06-21-22 at 06:24 PM.
Margate330 (08-07-22)
Old 06-22-22, 09:53 AM
Mkot9
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This little bugger saved my sanity! While replacing the radiator on my 2005 RX330 this past fall, the bottom screws holding it into the bracket were some corroded, stuck demons. This extractor got them right out!
Just a tip: be sure to drill the initial guide hole deep enough for it to catch.
Also, my cats bought me a 293 piece Craftsman mechanic's set for Christmas. My late husband was a "junkyard dog" and swore by them.

I think it cost about $8, but it's probably cheaper when you don't live on top of a mountain!
Margate330 (08-07-22)
Old 08-03-22, 07:30 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I’ve been putting together a tool collection to start doing more than brake changes and oil.
two weeks ago I ran to the Home Depot one morning when I found out the night before that they had a ridiculous sale on their 1/2” ryobi P262 brushless high performance impact driver which torque test channel pushed out 600 foot pounds of nut busting torque and around 500 fastening torque. Anyway the amazing deal was get the tool free when you buy a battery pack with a charger and a bag containing a 2.0 amp hour, 4.0 ah and 6.0 ah battery. It was a g d steal *****.

was looking all over for a good deal on an impact gun and almost got an older used ingersol rand for 250 but the TTC really showed me the beans this thing put out.

Then today I grabbed a set of Mac tools 12 piece metric flex head ratcheting combination wrenches for $160 they are used but all still nice and function. A couple wear spots on the finish but worth it for the price.
also grabbed a 2.5 ton floor jack for 30 and 2 pairs of jack stands for 15.
then I went on a harbor freight spree got the 1/2” and 1/4” torque wrenches for$11.99 each then a set of deep and shallow impact sockets, 2 magnetic tool trays, an extending magnetic pickup tool, a wire brush drill bit thingy all for $93
now I have to get me some of those loop end hose pliers, clip removal pliers, a harmonic balancer puller, 24” chain wrench, a cam/ crank seal installer tool, and a 22mm high mass impact socket and I can stop making my fiancé worry about all the tool buying.
Then I have to start buying parts to use with the tools lol.
Old 08-03-22, 07:45 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx330fnboi
I’ve been putting together a tool collection to start doing more than brake changes and oil.
two weeks ago I ran to the Home Depot one morning when I found out the night before that they had a ridiculous sale on their 1/2” ryobi P262 brushless high performance impact driver which torque test channel pushed out 600 foot pounds of nut busting torque and around 500 fastening torque. Anyway the amazing deal was get the tool free when you buy a battery pack with a charger and a bag containing a 2.0 amp hour, 4.0 ah and 6.0 ah battery. It was a g d steal *****.

was looking all over for a good deal on an impact gun and almost got an older used ingersol rand for 250 but the TTC really showed me the beans this thing put out.

Then today I grabbed a set of Mac tools 12 piece metric flex head ratcheting combination wrenches for $160 they are used but all still nice and function. A couple wear spots on the finish but worth it for the price.
also grabbed a 2.5 ton floor jack for 30 and 2 pairs of jack stands for 15.
then I went on a harbor freight spree got the 1/2” and 1/4” torque wrenches for$11.99 each then a set of deep and shallow impact sockets, 2 magnetic tool trays, an extending magnetic pickup tool, a wire brush drill bit thingy all for $93
now I have to get me some of those loop end hose pliers, clip removal pliers, a harmonic balancer puller, 24” chain wrench, a cam/ crank seal installer tool, and a 22mm high mass impact socket and I can stop making my fiancé worry about all the tool buying.
Then I have to start buying parts to use with the tools lol.

I was going to get a cheap ****ty / just good enough impact set from Amazon but after I saw this deal for just 199 I had to spend the little extra for this high quality impact gun.

It took me a few weeks to find a set of metric flex head ratcheting combination wrenches. Had a set of blue point ones lined up for $180 but they decided to keep them luckily this was just a few extra miles and a 6 point ratchet mechanism instead of a 12 point.( the guy had them advertised as an 8 point lol)

Margate330 (08-07-22)
Old 08-07-22, 08:29 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rx330fnboi
It took me a few weeks to find a set of metric flex head ratcheting combination wrenches. Had a set of blue point ones lined up for $180 but they decided to keep them luckily this was just a few extra miles and a 6 point ratchet mechanism instead of a 12 point.( the guy had them advertised as an 8 point lol)
Nice tool haul!
I see you are new so Welcome to Club Lexus, glad you are here!

Originally Posted by Mkot9
This little bugger saved my sanity! While replacing the radiator on my 2005 RX330 this past fall, the bottom screws holding it into the bracket were some corroded, stuck demons. This extractor got them right out!
Those screws were a Mother on my radiator too.
All rusted out and this may have saved the day instead of me mangling by brackets to get it apart. lol

I think a coolant pressure tester is a must have for finding visible leaks(ones that will be visible when you use the tool but hard to see otherwise) and checking repairs.
Also one of these makes refilling your cooling system a breeze, but you need an air compressor. Auto supply places probably have reasonably priced units.
Right on Gerf, gotta have a coolant pressure for DIY in my opinion.
I've never used one of those pneumatic coolant fillers but I just broke down and got the big funnel kit the attached to the radiator cap hole.
Haven't used it yet but our cars are so overheat when not getting all the air out, happened to me too and I'm no amateur at this.

Quick Reply: Tool Reviews for Affordable DIY