RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

all Interior light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 07:08 PM
Goose77
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRX
Before I put my current bulbs into my car, I used ones similar to what iMSQ used. These bulbs are pretty bright and have a decently wide spread too, however their light intensity and beam pattern aren't as nice as the ones with the little "globe reflector" on top which are the new design. I have tried these current bulbs in my cars ('02 HL, '14 RX) a 2014 Highlander and a 2006 Honda Civic and they always fit very nicely. The reason why these bulbs are so nice fitment-wise is that they physically resemble a regular 921 bulb, so fitment will be on par with any car that uses a 921 bulb already.
How about the rear brake lights right next to the reverse light? Did you do those? Also, is it difficult to take the outer lights and replace them with LED's?
Old 02-04-21, 07:33 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

The running lights? Those were easy too, I just popped some LED bulbs in there. They're a 168/T10 peanut bulb, get them in the colour red to let them shine as efficiently as possible through the red housing. If you want those to be an LED light assembly, you'll have to grab one from an RX400H as they have built in LEDs as a whole light assembly (a complete unit basically) whereas the RX330 and RX350 just use bulbs in there. If you see my old Highlander, you'll notice that it has actual LED tail lights instead of just LED bulbs for the brake lights. I had to swap out the whole tail light assembly for a 2006-2007 Hybrid Highlander one and make my own custom wiring harness to get it to work, this is a one off thing and there's a very good chance I was the first person who ever pulled this off.

I was browsing eBay and noticed that the 400H has a different wiring harness at the rear compared to a normal 330/350 running light. Physically the housing will fit, but you'll have to get it custom wired up by yourself or a stereo shop. You'll have to do some solder/crimping to get the connectors to line up, possibly source out the connectors yourself somewhere. Not too difficult of a job, but definitely a DIY project that'll take some work for sure. Aftermarket LED ones are available too, but those were way out of my price range and I enjoy the OEM look and quality a lot more anyway.
Old 02-04-21, 07:39 PM
Goose77
Driver School Candidate

The running lights? Those were easy too, I just popped some LED bulbs in there. They're a 168/T10 peanut bulb, get them in the colour red to let them shine as efficiently as possible through the red housing. If you want those to be an LED light assembly, you'll have to grab one from an RX400H as they have built in LEDs as a whole light assembly (a complete unit basically) whereas the RX330 and RX350 just use bulbs in there. If you see my old Highlander, you'll notice that it has actual LED tail lights instead of just LED bulbs for the brake lights. I had to swap out the whole tail light assembly for a 2006-2007 Hybrid Highlander one and make my own custom wiring harness to get it to work, this is a one off thing and there's a very good chance I was the first person who ever pulled this off.

I was browsing eBay and noticed that the 400H has a different wiring harness at the rear compared to a normal 330/350 running light. Physically the housing will fit, but you'll have to get it custom wired up by yourself or a stereo shop. You'll have to do some solder/crimping to get the connectors to line up, possibly source out the connectors yourself somewhere. Not too difficult of a job, but definitely a DIY project that'll take some work for sure. Aftermarket LED ones are available too, but those were way out of my price range and I enjoy the OEM look and quality a lot more anyway.
Thanks for that! I'm just thinking about replacing with LED lights, not the whole housing. I was also referring to the brake lights themselves, the ones not on the hatch door, about LED's going in there also.

Old 02-04-21, 07:45 PM
MattRX
Racer

The RX330/350 as well as the 400h has LED brake lights for the main "outer" brake light, despite having the look of a incandescent light housing. That's one thing I like more about the RX400H's brake and running lights in the rear, it has the appearance of many little LED bulbs like my Highlander. It looks like your 2nd gen RX isn't as easy of procedure than it was for me for the running lights however. On my 3rd gen RX it was extremely easy due to an access door being behind the panel to open up and have full access to the bulbs. It looks like you'll have to take off "part 2" as shown in the diagram above. This would be a great chance to change the license plate bulbs as well as add some sound deadening or dashcam wiring in the hatch! Did this on my Highlander while I was in there and it made a huge improvement.
The following users liked this post:
Goose77 (02-04-21)
Old 02-04-21, 07:52 PM
Goose77
Driver School Candidate

The RX330/350 as well as the 400h has LED brake lights for the main "outer" brake light, despite having the look of a incandescent light housing. That's one thing I like more about the RX400H's brake and running lights in the rear, it has the appearance of many little LED bulbs like my Highlander. It looks like your 2nd gen RX isn't as easy of procedure than it was for me for the running lights however. On my 3rd gen RX it was extremely easy due to an access door being behind the panel to open up and have full access to the bulbs. It looks like you'll have to take off "part 2" as shown in the diagram above. This would be a great chance to change the license plate bulbs as well as add some sound deadening or dashcam wiring in the hatch! Did this on my Highlander while I was in there and it made a huge improvement.
The outer lights are LED's, huh. I didn't know that! So all the lights attached to the hatch are replaceable with LED's, correct? Do you happen to know what the bulbs are for the two running lights in the bumper?
Old 02-04-21, 07:57 PM
MattRX
Racer

Yep! I didn't believe it at first either until I drove by a bunch of RX330s and 2nd gen RX350s. Even the earliest 2004 RX330s have LEDs too, pretty impressive for 2004 if you ask me! The bulbs for the bumper running lights in my car were also 168/T10 bulbs. Couldn't find the info anywhere for some reason, but I'm 99% sure that on your RX they are going to be the same as well, even my Highlander has those T10 bulbs everywhere as well and I don't see a reason why they'd change it, it's likely the most common bulb size in use. Despite what people say, I was able to replace both bulbs without dissembling any splash shields or other bits around the bumper, but do be warned that you'll need small hands to perform this procedure! Not sure if it is possible on the 2nd gen RX but I'm willing to bet it is.
Old 02-04-21, 08:05 PM
Goose77
Driver School Candidate

Yep! I didn't believe it at first either until I drove by a bunch of RX330s and 2nd gen RX350s. Even the earliest 2004 RX330s have LEDs too, pretty impressive for 2004 if you ask me! The bulbs for the bumper running lights in my car were also 168/T10 bulbs. Couldn't find the info anywhere for some reason, but I'm 99% sure that on your RX they are going to be the same as well, even my Highlander has those T10 bulbs everywhere as well and I don't see a reason why they'd change it, it's likely the most common bulb size in use. Despite what people say, I was able to replace both bulbs without dissembling any splash shields or other bits around the bumper, but do be warned that you'll need small hands to perform this procedure! Not sure if it is possible on the 2nd gen RX but I'm willing to bet it is.
Ok! Thank you for the information and that's pretty surprising that they were using LED's in 2004!
Old 02-04-21, 10:18 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 187 Posts

400h

Old 04-15-21, 04:48 AM
Galbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lighting size update

Here's a quick list I just put together - hope this helps!

Front dome/map light:
1x 31mm festoon bulb
2x BA9S bayonet type bulbs

Sun visors:
4x 29mm vanity bulb

Middle dome light:
1x 31mm festoon bulb

Door/courtesy lights:
2x 168/194/T10 "peanut" bulbs

Trunk light:
1x 28mm festoon OR 31mm festoon bulb (I used 31mm for extra brightness but it was tight)

License plate light:
2x 168/194/T10 "peanut" bulbs
LED drop-in assemblies are also available

Glovebox:
Already LED, you'll have to solder in a better bulb

Footwell lights:
Already LED, you'll have to solder in a better bulb

This is for the 2004-2009 Lexus RX330/350. I'm going to assume the 400h is the same as its roots are that of a 2nd gen RX. If you're not 100% sure, I'd take the bulb out and measure it with a ruler or caliper and see how long it is in mm.
This was very helpful getting me started. I would like to add there are 3 lights in the cargo area and would highly recommend staying with the 28mm Festoon for all 3. For the reverse lights there is a reflector that limits overall length to less than 1.75" bulbs. There is another thread that covers the door sill led light replacement, and I will be giving that a try next.
Old 04-24-21, 08:17 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does one the remove the bulb cover/diffuser in the reverse light lens?
Old 04-24-21, 08:53 AM
Galbo
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure you can remove the metal piece in the rear housing. You would need to take apart the tail light housing, cut it out then reseal the housing. Honestly it's far more work than necessary. There are plenty of bulbs that are extremely bright and less than 1.75"
Old 04-25-21, 04:30 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exraf
Hi. I've removed the lens covers from the backup lights and although the light is now better - it's not great. The standard bulbs are 16 watt and I've found some 18 watt (same fitting) but haven't got the courage to try these as worried that the current draw/heat will be too much? Would be grateful if anyone could give me sone advice please.

Many thanks

Sorry - forgot to say that it's an RX 2007
^^^from another thread from 2014^^^

Originally Posted by Galbo
I'm not sure you can remove the metal piece in the rear housing. You would need to take apart the tail light housing, cut it out then reseal the housing. Honestly it's far more work than necessary. There are plenty of bulbs that are extremely bright and less than 1.75"
I put in the AGLINT 22-SMD LED's that MattRX recommended, but I haven't seen them at night yet; that diffuser (which I'll bet is plastic, not metal, has an opening only at the bottom directing light downward. I won't drive this car in the dark until Thursday or Friday so I'll check then, and I hope you're right.

Last edited by djeddieo; 04-25-21 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-25-21, 11:21 AM
Galbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djeddieo
^^^from another thread from 2014^^^

I put in the AGLINT 22-SMD LED's that MattRX recommended, but I haven't seen them at night yet; that diffuser (which I'll bet is plastic, not metal, has an opening only at the bottom directing light downward. I won't drive this car in the dark until Thursday or Friday so I'll check then, and I hope you're right.
Iit's metal, I tried to cram a 1.79" bulb in with a glass lens and it scratched the hell out of the glass. Also it acts as a reflector but there is also a hole in the middle of it. Pretty much any decent Reverse LED you install will be a huge upgrade over factory.
Old 08-16-21, 08:14 AM
mallom
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well!

Very stupid question: I just replaced my interior lights, backup and license plate. They look great but I think my license plates LEDs might be too bright. Has anyone had any issues with getting pulled over because due to license plates being "too bright"?

The pictures don't tell the true story. I can definitely read the plate from any distance and I don't feel like it is a distraction to other drivers, but my opinion might not matter to a cop. I live in Texas.

LEDs:
Amazon Amazon

Messing with the camera settings to capture more light

Just wanted to get some feedback from those who have converted their bulbs to LEDs. I might change them to a lower output LEDs just to be on the safe side.

Thank you and have a great day!

Last edited by mallom; 08-16-21 at 08:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SJM (08-19-21)
Old 01-03-22, 05:00 PM
rmorin1249
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I found this thread. My wife has been complaining for over 10 years about the terrible back up lights in her 2009RX. I rarely drive it but did try and back out of our driveway after dark last week. Now I understand why she complained. Just ordered a set of LEDs as recommended in this thread. Looking forward to installing them as I had previously ordered a different bulb and it was too long to fit. Thanks, folks.