RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

labor time and costs for re and re rack and pinion 2009 350RX AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 07:59 PM
Eric801
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default labor time and costs for re and re rack and pinion 2009 350RX AWD

HI I've searched this forum and most threads on this subject are 15 or so years old so I'm asking for current and specific info

2009 RX350 AWD VIN starts with 2
Left front steering boot is intact but appears to be leaking down onto the bottom of the steering column. Power steering fluid reservoir is low. Right front steering boot is ripped and leaking fluid. No grit inside the boot.
Rod ends appear to be fine, see pics.

I won't be doing this job myself.

Do i need a complete rack and pinion? Or can i just have the seals, bellows replaced?
What's the labor time? Is this a fairly straight forward repair at a reputable shop?
Should I be going OEM or will aftermarket rebuilds be fine? If after market are some better than others?
Though I'm about to sell it (bought a 2015 rx) I won't be pulling any fast ones or band aid this.
That said It's 12 years old 118,000 miles. no rust, been well looked after.
Tips and tricks of what to watch for?
I'm in Western Canada
thanks in advance for your comments.

Left front bellow

Left front bellow interior

bottom of steering column. appears bellow is leaking fluid to here

right front bellow

right front rod ends
Old 03-01-21, 08:35 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, just the boots can be replaced.
I hate to guess, but I think the R and R for the rack is around $1500-2000 at your local Toyota dealer.
It appears you're down a few ounces of power steering fluid (Toyota ATF), but it's hard to tell how bad the leak is because we need a reference of time for how long it took to lose it.
If you're going to buy your own rack and bring it to a mechanic, I suggest buying a known brand such as Denso, maybe from Rockauto.

From the images, the leaks appear to be minimal.

I suggest you also take a look at the Power Steering Pump and its pulley for wetness.
Best way to get a good look is remove the front passenger wheel and stick your head in the wheelwell and peak behind the plastic.
The following users liked this post:
fred9xx (07-30-22)
Old 03-01-21, 08:39 PM
Eric801
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spinellib
Yes, just the boots can be replaced.
I hate to guess, but I think the R and R for the rack is around $1500-2000 at your local Toyota dealer.
It appears you're down a few ounces of power steering fluid (Toyota ATF), but it's hard to tell how bad the leak is because we need a reference of time for how long it took to lose it.
If you're going to buy your own rack and bring it to a mechanic, I suggest buying a known brand such as Denso, maybe from Rockauto.

From the images, the leaks appear to be minimal.

I suggest you also take a look at the Power Steering Pump and its pulley for wetness.
Best way to get a good look is remove the front passenger wheel and stick your head in the wheelwell and peak behind the plastic.
thanks rookie. If I just replace the boots and the seals are leaking won’t I just be hiding a major problem that’s going to rear it’s ugly head sooner than later?
Old 03-01-21, 08:51 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Eric801
If I just replace the boots and the seals are leaking won’t I just be hiding a major problem that’s going to rear it’s ugly head sooner than later?
Possibly. That's why I'm suggesting a more accurate assessment of the the degree of the leaks.
I have an '09, too, and if mine was seeping a little bit but the rack was still turning and sounding healthy, I would not replace the rack, even if I was selling it.
Old cars leak; it's normal.

Replacing the boot is a MUST, btw. If you don't replace that boot, you will indeed allow further damage that's avoidable.

The following 2 users liked this post by spinellib:
Bogey2 (03-03-21), Margate330 (03-01-21)
Old 03-01-21, 08:58 PM
Eric801
Driver School Candidate

It’s in good nick. Steering is smooth as silk. We had no inkling anything was wrong until a potential buyer noticed the leak. Then we removed the cover covering the reservoir and noticed it was down. Nothing else leaking. This will be a difficult decision. Full replacement or just bellows.
Old 03-01-21, 09:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Anyone seeing that torn boot will assume the worst and expect a deep discount when it may have taken years to slowly drip.
I vote to replace just the boots too and maybe the tech can degrease everything like new to keep any leaked fluid from damaging bushings, hoses, etc any further.
Old 03-01-21, 09:35 PM
Eric801
Driver School Candidate

Hmm thanks for your thoughts
Old 03-02-21, 12:33 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Eric, it sounds like it took a good long while to lose a few ounces from the PS reservoir.
I think you got lucky and caught the torn boot in time before sand and salt did some damage. But who knows.

Again, I'd inspect the PS pump to make sure it's reasonably dry and just replace the boot(s).
Old 03-02-21, 12:36 AM
Eric801
Driver School Candidate

Hmm. Thanks I’ll have a look under in the morning. See what’s dripped and check the pump. After taking off all the skid plates and looking around it’s dry everywhere else.
Old 03-02-21, 12:38 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Anyone seeing that torn boot will assume the worst and expect a deep discount when it may have taken years to slowly drip.
I vote to replace just the boots too and maybe the tech can degrease everything like new to keep any leaked fluid from damaging bushings, hoses, etc any further.
I concur.

btw, someone clever might've figured out why it's always the Right Boot that gets torn in these Toyotas/Lexuses.
I'm not certain he's right, but it sure makes a lot of sense. Next chance I get, I'm getting under my RX to inspect that metal sleeve and see if it's chafing me boot!

Old 03-02-21, 10:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

It was my passenger side boot too.
Driver side is original at 155K+ miles.

Replaced my boot approx a year ago and yeah my boot was soaked and torn just like OP's.
Went to take a pic today and it's holding up well but wow- noticed a power steering fluid leak coming from lines above leaking all over my new control arm bushings, cv axle boot, etc. and my fluid is a little low.
What a mess so time to degrease and find the leaks.

Old 03-03-21, 03:49 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Perhaps you caught something in time.
I hope it's something simple and cheap.
Are you still on your original rack?
Old 03-03-21, 07:11 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

My rack is original and I think the majority of my leak is from the reservoir hoses dripping down.
Old 03-03-21, 07:20 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Replaced my boot approx a year ago and yeah my boot was soaked and torn just like OP's.
Went to take a pic today and it's holding up well but wow- noticed a power steering fluid leak coming from lines above leaking all over my new control arm bushings, cv axle boot, etc. and my fluid is a little low.
What a mess so time to degrease and find the leaks.

yea be warned if its the high pressure line that may be leaking. My high pressure power steering hose blew up on me about a year ago i think(dont recall exactly when) and it was not a cheap fix!!! it sprayed fluid all over the underside of my rx.
Margate330 (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 12:13 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matts6887
yea be warned if its the high pressure line that may be leaking. My high pressure power steering hose blew up on me about a year ago i think(dont recall exactly when) and it was not a cheap fix!!! it sprayed fluid all over the underside of my rx.
Gosh I hope not!
Wishing it's just a leaky reservoir line.
matts6887 (03-03-21)

Quick Reply: labor time and costs for re and re rack and pinion 2009 350RX AWD