RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

CEL when I go fast round a bend

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 03:03 PM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default CEL when I go fast round a bend

My XP 30 day trial license expired so Techstream down at the moment. I’ll sort it soon.

But here’s the thing I’ll be working out. Just posting this for some ideas.

When I drive (2005 RX400H) spiritedly round a bend my CEL pops up. I can clear it. If I drive like a saint it’s not a problem. Taking corners like grandma no problem.

I’m foxed. I’ll report with the code soon. Any ideas in the meantime? Could it be fuel or oil sloshing? Oil level is correct. I keep my tank filled with gas.

I do cane the car. I love the acceleration and have always been impressed by its handling for such a heavy, tall vehicle.

But the hard cornering and CEL trigger is a mystery to me.
Old 03-13-21, 07:18 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 419 Posts

Very well could be one of a few evap codes, I'm having that issue, when whipping it around a few S curves, specially on one two lane S curve onramp to the 405. I was thinking of replacing the evap canister, no sure yet as I bought one a couple weeks ago & a few days later the mil/vsc lights went out then last Tuesday the mil came back on, so I turned it off this afternoon.
Old 03-14-21, 01:48 AM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Felix
Very well could be one of a few evap codes, I'm having that issue, when whipping it around a few S curves, specially on one two lane S curve onramp to the 405. I was thinking of replacing the evap canister, no sure yet as I bought one a couple weeks ago & a few days later the mil/vsc lights went out then last Tuesday the mil came back on, so I turned it off this afternoon.
Your MIL corrects without code or battery reset? Mine doesn’t. Anyhow I need to check the codes. Mine may be a bank O2 sensor. Was last time.
Old 03-14-21, 09:04 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vincenze
Your MIL corrects without code or battery reset? Mine doesn’t. Anyhow I need to check the codes. Mine may be a bank O2 sensor. Was last time.
It did once after driving a hundred miles or so, then the mil & vsc came on at which I deleted the codes. I'll see if it comes on later on.
The following users liked this post:
Vincenze (03-14-21)
Old 03-14-21, 01:59 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 178 Likes on 137 Posts

Just for giggles, does it only happen when you take a Right turn or a Left turn, or both?

My first instinct when I read your post was "short to ground," as in a wire loom (harness) is moving around and making bare contact on metal.
Old 03-14-21, 04:03 PM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spinellib
Just for giggles, does it only happen when you take a Right turn or a Left turn, or both?

My first instinct when I read your post was "short to ground," as in a wire loom (harness) is moving around and making bare contact on metal.
2 hard lefts I can think of. But it did happen when I ploughed a right round the edge of a roundabout. It was a bit Bullitt. A mate said he preferred the 400H to the Porsche Cayenne.

Maybe it is a connection. I did put in a new Denso O2 sensor on B2. That caused the last CEL. I checked the sensor resistance. It was between .8 and 1.2 ohms.

Anyhow I need to do a Techstream check. Blooming XP licence in my Virtual Box VM popped its 30 day clogs.

Last edited by Vincenze; 03-14-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-14-21, 06:11 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spinellib

Seems like it doesn't matter....Now I just just let it roll thru the first curve which I pick the inside in 3rd gear, which gets me the outside lane on the next corner to accelerate onto the 405.I have a choice of onramps as 515 is between to different onramps.
Old 03-16-21, 11:44 AM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Great! My CEL just disappeared.
Old 03-16-21, 01:02 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 178 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd still check for stored codes just so I'd know what was troubling the PCM.

Vincenze (03-16-21)
Old 03-18-21, 07:12 PM
Felix
Pole Position

The evac codes that showed up on my wife's rx was thanx to me topping off the fuel, as thats what I do on my powerstroke's.....Diesel fuel is like beer suds, it'll take about additional 3-4 gallons after the nozzle shuts off. Haven't done that since, so looks like its possible that the evac canister is ok.......That saved me a few hundred for the part, but do miss the additional range.
Vincenze (03-19-21)
Old 03-20-21, 08:26 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

The evac codes that showed up on my wife's rx was thanx to me topping off the fuel, as thats what I do on my powerstroke's.....Diesel fuel is like beer suds, it'll take about additional 3-4 gallons after the nozzle shuts off. Haven't done that since, so looks like its possible that the evac canister is ok.......That saved me a few hundred for the part, but do miss the additional range.
yea; I use to top mine off too; but when i learned from watching a segment on the news about the fact that if u top it off all the time it can damage the evap canister i stopped doing that and just let the pump run until it stops.
Old 03-20-21, 10:52 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincenze
My XP 30 day trial license expired so Techstream down at the moment. I’ll sort it soon.

But here’s the thing I’ll be working out. Just posting this for some ideas.

When I drive (2005 RX400H) spiritedly round a bend my CEL pops up. I can clear it. If I drive like a saint it’s not a problem. Taking corners like grandma no problem.

I’m foxed. I’ll report with the code soon. Any ideas in the meantime? Could it be fuel or oil sloshing? Oil level is correct. I keep my tank filled with gas.

I do cane the car. I love the acceleration and have always been impressed by its handling for such a heavy, tall vehicle.

But the hard cornering and CEL trigger is a mystery to me.
Waiting to see those codes and what you figured out, very interesting.

It's a pain for me to drag out the old laptop with Techstream- plus- I never know when the car is gonna throw a code,

I use my OBDII scanner the most and it lives in the car with me at all times. lol

Last edited by Margate330; 03-20-21 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 11:37 AM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Margate330
Waiting to see those codes and what you figured out, very interesting.

It's a pain for me to drag out the old laptop with Techstream- plus- I never know when the car is gonna throw a code,

I use my OBDII scanner the most and it lives in the car with me at all times. lol
It makes me laugh. Problem with the car. Laptop pops it’s clogs. I can’t get into the vm software. It’s a chain reaction of problem sorting. Anyhow I’ve replaced the RAM and cleaned the fans (talking about the lap top here).

Now I will be able to revive my VM that sits on my Mac and runs XP (cos that’s the easiest operating system for Techstream install).

Next I’ll hook up for codes. Funnily enough the CEL warning has disappeared. I’ll be looking for storeds.

Last edited by Vincenze; 03-20-21 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 08:21 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Vencenze, after rereading your original thread & since your mil is off, I'd say its possibly your evap canister getting sloshed w/ fuel. No issues w/ oil being sloshed around in your engine. Really more like fuel be sloshed around. I learned not to top of the fuel after the nozzle cuts off. I can learn not to add a additional gallon or so, as that same me from replacing the evap canister.......
Old 03-21-21, 04:43 AM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Vencenze, after rereading your original thread & since your mil is off, I'd say its possibly your evap canister getting sloshed w/ fuel. No issues w/ oil being sloshed around in your engine. Really more like fuel be sloshed around. I learned not to top of the fuel after the nozzle cuts off. I can learn not to add a additional gallon or so, as that same me from replacing the evap canister.......
Instructive. My local petrol station has a price preset pump. So you can’t top off. I should get the code soon enough. Will report back.

Quick Reply: CEL when I go fast round a bend