RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 09:22 AM
Xfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Quality

Hello - New to forum, my 1st question.

We have a 2006 RX330 with approx 135,000 miles. Vehicle is super clean for its age and location (much salt on roads in winter). Obviously the ride quality is not what it used to be due to all the miles and worn parts. We're considering taking it to the Lexus dealer to do a complete undercarraige inspection to let us know what needs replacing, i.e., bushings, joints, linkages, struts, etc... in order to get that solid ride feeling back again.

Can anyone tell me what all componants should be considered in this process?

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Old 04-05-21, 05:19 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 178 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice looking RX you have there.

If you take it to the dealership, they will tell you it needs Everything.
Also, tires contribute to the "ride," so the dealership will tell you it needs them, too.

Does it "bounce?"
Does it make "clunking" noises?
Does it make odd noises and squeaks?

At 135K, it's possible the struts, tie rod ends, and ball joints are worn out. But maybe not.
What kind of Carfax records do you have for the car?
Old 04-06-21, 01:16 AM
Xfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spinellib
Nice looking RX you have there.

If you take it to the dealership, they will tell you it needs Everything.
Also, tires contribute to the "ride," so the dealership will tell you it needs them, too.

Does it "bounce?"
Does it make "clunking" noises?
Does it make odd noises and squeaks?

At 135K, it's possible the struts, tie rod ends, and ball joints are worn out. But maybe not.
What kind of Carfax records do you have for the car?
Thanks. We're the original owners. Purchased new in 2006 so we don't have a Carfax. On a smooth road the ride is fine. Doesn't sway, shimmy, or pull one way or the other. Steering is tight. Has regular front and rear alignments. Doesn't bounce. Struts have been replaced. There are no noises until you ride over uneven or bumpy surfaces, then you here the clunking. You don't have to be going fast either. It just doen't have that new vehicle stiffness, is about the best way to put it.
Old 04-06-21, 12:12 PM
wz4rfv
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Start by replacing the sway bar end links. Cheap and relatively easy to do (if they cooperate coming off - major PITA if they are rusted on!). Then see if the clunking noise goes away. After that, its sway bar bushings, LCAs, rear lateral links and trailing links, motor mounts and differential mounts so you have to do an economic evaluation to see if it is worthwhile.

After 243,xxx miles the ride on my car is much harsher than when I got it at 63,xxx miles but its still a nicer ride than most other cars so I just live with it.

Bob
Old 04-10-21, 08:39 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

i agree with bob above; after so many miles; obviously parts are going to start to wear out and eventually u will need to start to replace stuff little by little to get the "brand new" ride quality back.
Old 04-10-21, 10:08 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

I agree with everyone above as far as replacing some parts.

On my car at similar mileage I would hear a clacking sound going slow over speed bumps and changing the front sway bar links cured it.
Recommend replacing with OEM only and they can be bought from reputable ebay sellers for approx $60 ea- qty 2.
You can buy them from local auto part stores for half the price but you will be replacing them again and wasting time and money when one side fails 2 weeks later and the other side fails within 6 months like mine did.

As far as tightness, I started rebuilding my front end around your mileage and the biggest gains for tightness came from new struts and my steering wheel slop was improved with inner & outer tie rod passenger side(oem only).
You mentioned you already replaced the struts but it matters a lot what was put back on so please share all the details on your new struts and whether you did both front & back.