RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 12:51 PM
nwflorida
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power window problem

My 2005 RX330 has a window problem. Only the driver's side opens. I thought it was the window lock button gone bad so I replaced the driver's side switches. Wasn't that. My next guess is a fuse. Any idea which one, or if it isn't that, what could it be? The power mirrors adjust but the power door lock doesn't.

Thanks
Old 04-05-21, 01:36 PM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nwflorida
My 2005 RX330 has a window problem. Only the driver's side opens. I thought it was the window lock button gone bad so I replaced the driver's side switches. Wasn't that. My next guess is a fuse. Any idea which one, or if it isn't that, what could it be? The power mirrors adjust but the power door lock doesn't.

Thanks
Try going round the window switches at each window. Wind down and keep the switch depressed for 30 seconds. I am assuming here that the switches work at the windows
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (04-10-21)
Old 04-05-21, 02:36 PM
wz4rfv
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with Vincenze, go around to each door and use the switch on it to lower (all the way) and raise the windows. This is so the switch panel on the driver's door can "learn" the other windows. I'm not sure how it learns but it works! I don't think you have to hold each switch down for 30 seconds though but YRMV.

Bob
Margate330 (04-10-21)
Old 04-05-21, 09:35 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Thanks
Please more info. From driver's seat you can open only driver's window or only driver's window works in your car?
Margate330 (04-10-21)
Old 04-06-21, 06:49 AM
nwflorida
Driver School Candidate

I can only open each of the windows from their respective switches only. One the driver's side master panel only the driver's window works. The master lock also doesn't work. I tried the opening each window from it's switch, they worked but the master switch still doesn't work.
Old 04-06-21, 08:21 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I can only open each of the windows from their respective switches only. One the driver's side master panel only the driver's window works. The master lock also doesn't work. I tried the opening each window from it's switch, they worked but the master switch still doesn't work.
it sounds possibly what could be the issue with my window. From my master drivers power window control panel; it will open all windows except for my right rear windows. Turns out its the master switch. Im not bothering to replace it though since no one ever sits in back and usually im the only person in my rx as the driver. Now; if the 2 front windows stop working then yea i will have to get a new master switch panel.
Margate330 (04-10-21)
Old 04-06-21, 11:33 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Do individual switches blink (can see in dark)? If yes then you need to reset all windows.

Old 04-10-21, 06:05 AM
nwflorida
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: Tried all suggestions. All windows work from their respective switches. Automatic up and down works on all. Only driver's side window works from driver's master switch. Really stumped.
Old 04-10-21, 08:51 AM
matts6887
Racer

UPDATE: Tried all suggestions. All windows work from their respective switches. Automatic up and down works on all. Only driver's side window works from driver's master switch. Really stumped.
sounds to me like its the master drivers control panel thats the culprit. Thats the issue on my rx as all my windows will open at each door and the control panel except the right rear one wont open from the control panel. My indy shop down the street confirmed its my drivers panel thats the culprit so I would try replacing that on yours.
Old 04-10-21, 09:06 AM
nwflorida
Driver School Candidate

I already replaced the driver's side panel if that's what you mean. No change.
Old 04-10-21, 10:50 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

The power mirrors adjust but the power door lock doesn't.
I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time following along.

>> Please confirm/correct below as needed for a logical approach and add any extra details that seem relevant to help us understand better what you have going on.

Driver Side Master Switch

Locks driver side door- yes
Locks all other doors- no
Operates driver side window- yes
Operates all other windows- no.
Does the master switch have seat memory buttons and do they work(m1, m2)- ???

Using the key in driver side door

Will operate all windows up & down- ???
Will lock and unlock all doors- ???

Driver side master switch replacement:

Replaced with new oem- ???
If replaced with used was it confirmed to be a "working unit" by seller and we know for a fact it isn't faulty- ???

PS- The driver side master switch contains a computer module that communicates to other modules located inside all the other doors for windows & locks. The body ecu is also involved so more info is needed to have a chance moving forward.
* Window fuses can prob be ruled out since each window has it's own fuse and OP says can roll down independently.

Hopefully others have more to add...

Old 04-10-21, 02:44 PM
nwflorida
Driver School Candidate

Driver Side Master Switch

Locks driver side door- NO
Locks all other doors- NO
Operates driver side window- YES
Operates all other windows- NO.
Does the master switch have seat memory buttons and do they work(m1, m2)- ON DOOR. NOT WORKING
BUTTON TO DISABLE ALL OTHER WINDOWS WORKS

Using the key in driver side door

Will operate all windows up & down- ???NO
Will lock and unlock all doors- ???NO

Driver side master switch replacement:

Replaced with new oem- NEW BUT NOT LEXUS OEM
If replaced with used was it confirmed to be a "working unit" by seller and we know for a fact it isn't faulty- ???

PS- The driver side master switch contains a computer module that communicates to other modules located inside all the other doors for windows & locks. The body ecu is also involved so more info is needed to have a chance moving forward.
* Window fuses can prob be ruled out since each window has it's own fuse and OP says can roll down independently.
Old 04-10-21, 04:15 PM
nwflorida
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved. Disconnected battery and then went through reset procedure. thanks to everyone who responded.
Margate330 (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 09:30 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Problem solved. Disconnected battery and then went through reset procedure. thanks to everyone who responded.
Awesome job and thank you for sharing your fix!

From your reply of what was workng and what was not, it looks to me like either 1) the data communication was cut from the master switch to the Body Ecu(mpx wires) due to bad plug, harness, etc) or 2) new master switch is faulty(it can happen) or 3) the Body ECU has failed or 4) as you just proved- the master switch's commands were being ignored by the Body Ecu until the battery cable reset/re-initialize.

PS- the child lock button does not go thru the body ecu as far as I know.
Old 04-11-21, 09:00 AM
matts6887
Racer

glad to heard its resolved.

Quick Reply: Power window problem