RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New front brakes with grapping noise when shifting to reverse for drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 04:22 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

If that is a front wheel and the picture is the top of the caliper bracket, the spring loaded clip is missing or installed at the bottom. Look again at my picture and you can see the rounded shape at the side or the pad, it snaps onto the pads edge and provides downward force on the pads while in the bracket to prevent them from shifting back and forth during braking, when you do a direction change and hit the brakes in reverse, the pads shift in The bracket and collapse the spring force of those clips, causing a clunk or metallic click. If you put the clips at the bottom, every time you apply the brake in forward gears the pad will have to compress the clip and a light metallic clunk will be heard, check to see if the clips are at the bottom as opposed to the top, it’s not uncommon for the error to occur, I’m not slamming your mechanic by any means, I’m just pointing out that in your picture there is no clip on the side of the pad which looks to be oriented to the top in your picture.
Old 04-08-21, 04:39 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Old 04-08-21, 04:39 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Item 47771 is the clip I’m referring to, there are 4 total, the parts list is off Bell Lexus
Old 04-08-21, 08:42 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by unebonnevi
Hi,
So, could it be the rotors not cleaned? ...
No, it will not cause ear-killing sounds. If rotors are in oil then you just will not stop a car.
Old 04-09-21, 02:16 PM
unebonnevi
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by frankymenz
If that is a front wheel and the picture is the top of the caliper bracket, the spring loaded clip is missing or installed at the bottom. Look again at my picture and you can see the rounded shape at the side or the pad, it snaps onto the pads edge and provides downward force on the pads while in the bracket to prevent them from shifting back and forth during braking, when you do a direction change and hit the brakes in reverse, the pads shift in The bracket and collapse the spring force of those clips, causing a clunk or metallic click. If you put the clips at the bottom, every time you apply the brake in forward gears the pad will have to compress the clip and a light metallic clunk will be heard, check to see if the clips are at the bottom as opposed to the top, it’s not uncommon for the error to occur, I’m not slamming your mechanic by any means, I’m just pointing out that in your picture there is no clip on the side of the pad which looks to be oriented to the top in your picture.
Thanks. I think you described exactly the noise. Below are the pictures of the front passenger side, top of the pad then bottom of the pad. Front driver side is the same. Funny, the 2nd mechanic that replaced the REAR brake left one clip out, and I saw that, and FORCED him to put it back in! The guy that did the front brakes, unfortunately, I didn't check if he forgot to put ALL the clips back in, but it looks like he does. If not, he is deserved to be BOOed!

TOP of pad front passenger side.

BOTTOM of pad front passenger side.