RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

This lugnut bull is ridiculous!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 07:21 PM
Mkot9
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This lugnut bull is ridiculous!!! Help!!!

So there I am innocently removing the tire to put on new brakes and whaaaaaat....the darn locking lug CRACKS!!! Now the key won't turn it and there's a chunk out of it.
I looked online and found that you can force a socket, slightly smaller than would fit, onto it and then pry it off.
My question is what size is a fitting socket and what size smaller to get? I'm guessing the regular to be 21mm, but I could be wrong. I'm frantic! Also, the locking thingy is round not sided, how's anything going to grab that unless you buy those chomping sockets. I need a cheap and easy solution. I can just get the right size at the hardware store because my sockets stop at 17mm. (My complete craftsman tools were stolen!)
Oh, 2005 RX330, thats what it is.
Please help, I really need these brakes to go on tomorrow.....yikes! Thanks....
Old 04-09-21, 07:59 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Search the forum and Google. You have the right idea; hammer on a larger socket then it will come off.
Old 04-09-21, 09:25 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 178 Likes on 137 Posts

They make "1/2 size" sockets for these types of problems. For instance, a 20.5mm socket, or a 21.5mm socket.

Mechanic shops use a special socket (from a kit) that act as an "EZ Out" and grip the stripped or anti-theft locking lug nut if the customer lost the key.
Your local parts store should sell something that will help you. Take another one of those lug nuts off another wheel and bring it with you to the parts store so you don't guess and buy the wrong tool.
Old 04-09-21, 09:32 PM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Those chomping sockets are cheap I bought a hard steel set for £7. Largest was 22mm. And they were superb. Spun a rounded bolt head no problem

Were your wheel nuts torqued. I wonder if the hammer on option might not give you the purchase vs the torque tighten.

The chompers May be the best option. Blooming nightmare.
Old 04-10-21, 02:33 PM
Mkot9
Driver

Default Oh wait, it can get worse...

So, I go to the store and get a 12 point 19mm socket (the lock is smaller than the regular lugs) I pound it on, perfect, I hook up the extension and the breaker bar, perfect and push.......push.....the freaking extension snapped off inside the socket!!!!!! Oh God, I'm out here with a drill trying to bore out the piece to get it out of the socket!!!! That leaves me with the ratchet and bar to get this damn lock lug off!!! I'm seriously homicidal!!!! I can't afford to take it anywhere right now. I don't know what I've ever done so rotten to get this!!!! Aaaaaaaahgggggghhhh!!!!!
Old 04-10-21, 04:51 PM
Vincenze
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

God almighty. You’re going to need a 23mm socket biter.

Breaker bar is supposed to take that kind of strain

Last edited by Vincenze; 04-11-21 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 04:38 AM
wz4rfv
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cheap HF tools? The socket should break before the extension. You were using 1/2" drive sockets and extensions, right? 3/8" won't take the load. 3/4" would be even better.

What happens is that lug nuts will get over-torqued and they won't move. I've had it happen on a race car. One team member torques the nuts, another checks the torque as does a third. We wound up cutting the wheel off because the lug nut won't move (and we had heavy grade, top of the line equipment). I feel for you. These things never happen when you are flush, but they love to sneak up on you when you are broke!

Try lots of heat and a cold chisel.

Good luck.

Bob
Old 04-12-21, 05:47 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I start and finish my lugs with a breaker bar and have a cheater for backup( by that i mean an extension for the breaker). I have been burned too many ties with swollen lugs or anti-thefts that have the key broken off. I only use my impact to run the lugs in or out. Sure it takes a bit longer but if you've ever had to hammer on an underside socket to the lug AND then deal with it once the lug is off, you'll understand. I think i go to an imperial socket if the original is metric.
Old 04-13-21, 11:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Use some penetrating oil, good luck.
Old 04-15-21, 10:26 AM
Mkot9
Driver

Default So, this is what happened.

I know there's a little black cloud following me, I know it!!!
So, I bought a 19mm socket, that's what almost fit over the locked lug. I hammer it home. I put on an extension, the ratchet, a breaker bar and VERY gently push, push....and.....the freaking extension breaks off in the socket!!! I swear to you, I almost bashed the window out with the breaker bar!!!! Aaaaaagggghhhh!!!! I tried and tried to pry it out, for a long time, no go. So, finally I brought out my drill and bored it out, tried to pry, bored it out more, tried to pry, so I just opened it up until the ratchet just barely fit in, breaker bar, gently push.....it popped out and brought the lug with it. I did the brakes, finally. WELL, there's another side!!! So....the lock came off of this one and all the lugs loosened....except one. People had to wonder what the heck I was doing on my hands and knees with a little plastic tube blowing "Marvel Mystery Oil" behind the lug!!! I figured it was mysterious so it would mysteriously loosen the nut! I thought it had worked miraculously, until I realized it was the wrong one! So, got the right one, let it sit for a bit and push...push...push CRACK the darn screw cracked right off the wheel!!!
I'm going to the tire shop where I had my new tires mounted and put on last year. They had to have tightened them too much! They owe me a new screw on the wheel and two lugs. Those locking devils will never go on my car again!!!!
It actually made me have a resentment toward my car!!!!!

Last edited by Mkot9; 04-15-21 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-15-21, 01:25 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Mk: reminds me of the saying : 'if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!'
Glad you were able to get it off. This might be a good time to think about replacing ALL lugs with new. I ignored my first occurrence but did pay attention after my second. Once i got the lugnut off i had to use heat to get the socket off the bad nut. It warped, somewhat, my socket. At the end of the day, it wasn't worth the hassle to me.
Old 04-15-21, 07:28 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

Several years ago I had new tires put on. When I went to pick up the car, I saw that I had been charged to replace 2 wheel studs and lug nuts. I questioned that and was told that all the lug nuts were put on extremely tight the last time and 2 of them broke off trying to remove them.

This was pure bs. I was the last one to put the lug nuts on and I don't have an impact, nor did I stand/jump on the breaker bar. It was probably their untrained monkey with the impact on tighten and broke the studs off before he realized the impact wrench was on tighten. Of course the tire place denied it and I had to pay for the studs. Never been back there since.
Old 04-16-21, 07:02 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

D: as i was reading you post i immediately thought that the guy had the gun on tighten and then i got to your same thoughts. I'd never go back there , either. Integrity is hard to come by these days, so much so that when you find it we think of it as the exception rather that the rule.