RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Which “ Dashmat” dashboard cover looks the best

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 03:02 PM
bcolins
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Which “ Dashmat” dashboard cover looks the best

I was about to order a Dashmat cover for my RX 400 H dashboard due to the typical cracking and then discovered that dashmat now has four different materials for their dash covers. the traditional carpet, something called suede, something called velour and another one called LTD that simulates kind of a woven look. zThe suede doesn’t look anything like suede in my opinion so it’s down between the velour with the foam backing or the traditional old-school poly carpet. I know a few members here have done a dashmat so I’m curious which one you chose and how it fit your dashboard and your opinion on the overall Appearance.
Old 04-23-21, 06:00 PM
bcolins
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bcolins
I was about to order a Dashmat cover for my RX 400 H dashboard due to the typical cracking and then discovered that dashmat now has four different materials for their dash covers. the traditional carpet, something called suede, something called velour and another one called LTD that simulates kind of a woven look. zThe suede doesn’t look anything like suede in my opinion so it’s down between the velour with the foam backing or the traditional old-school poly carpet. I know a few members here have done a dashmat so I’m curious which one you chose and how it fit your dashboard and your opinion on the overall Appearance.
anyone with a Dashmat?
Old 04-23-21, 06:56 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 506 Likes on 441 Posts

I went w/ a http://covercraft.com ......even thou our rx doesn't have any cracking, the oem dash pad looks & feels cheap for a Lexus....I went w/ a black one. Took me a bit to get it to fit, once I cut the about a 1/4'' off the leading edge at the windshield it fits great.....
Old 04-23-21, 07:48 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

off: Why do you buy dash covers?
Old 04-26-21, 06:12 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iMSQ
off: Why do you buy dash covers?
Cause the oem Lexus dash pad is cheap & cruddy looking/feeling as well as quite a lot of ppl have their oem dash pad is cracking/breaking up, ect.....Toyota really dropped the ball/fumbled on these dash pads....There quite a lot of manufactures that have better dash pads then gen2 rx's have......
Old 04-29-21, 06:20 AM
bcolins
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Felix
I went w/ a http://covercraft.com ......even thou our rx doesn't have any cracking, the oem dash pad looks & feels cheap for a Lexus....I went w/ a black one. Took me a bit to get it to fit, once I cut the about a 1/4'' off the leading edge at the windshield it fits great.....
So Covercraft sells the Dashmat and as my original question asked which one did you select; the original carpet or one of the others?
Old 04-29-21, 05:52 PM
Felix
Pole Position

I went w/ the velourmat, as my wife liked that one.....I've used the suedemat on a couple of Mustang's & a Camaro....I always get the black ones as well.....Another thing I'd add is take your time on fitting it. I ended on cutting of the leading edge about a 1/4'' so it fits vs trying to jam it between the windshield & dash, the defrost vents will give you a idea where it needs to go & fit......I'd add to tint the front passenger windows to match the oem side window tint as well as tint your hatch window & add a tint band to the top of your windshield down to about 8'' w/ 5%.....
Old 04-30-21, 08:10 AM
bcolins
Pit Crew

I went w/ the velourmat, as my wife liked that one.....I've used the suedemat on a couple of Mustang's & a Camaro....I always get the black ones as well.....Another thing I'd add is take your time on fitting it. I ended on cutting of the leading edge about a 1/4'' so it fits vs trying to jam it between the windshield & dash, the defrost vents will give you a idea where it needs to go & fit......I'd add to tint the front passenger windows to match the oem side window tint as well as tint your hatch window & add a tint band to the top of your windshield down to about 8'' w/ 5%.....
Dashmat sent me samples of all four of their materials, the suede didn’t look at all like suede to me looked odd I’m curious how you felt it looked on your dashboard. It’s probably down between the black Velour and black carpet for me and I’m just looking for opinions on which one looked and fit the best of those two
Old 04-30-21, 06:08 PM
Felix
Pole Position

They're all going to fit the same, just different material/style....I used the suede style on a couple Mustangs & a Camaro, which looked & worked great for me...My wife liked the velour style for the rx.......My thought is just about any aftermarket dash mat on a rx sure beats the cruddy looking oem dash pad......even thou there's no cracking, ect, just wanted to protect it from cracking....Same as other vehicles even thou they're in a garage, but they sit outside at work....From California & lived in Chandler, Az.
Old 04-30-21, 10:16 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

off: dust collector...
Old 06-09-21, 06:57 PM
2wPushkins
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2008 Lexus RX350 that has damage due to crappy dash materials used for this model/year. The damage is mostly in the dash area above the glove box. Will a Dashmat come down to the top of the glove box? Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG_9217[4].pdf (52.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: pdf
IMG_9199[2].pdf (79.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 06-10-21, 06:32 AM
bcolins
Pit Crew

They're all going to fit the same, just different material/style....I used the suede style on a couple Mustangs & a Camaro, which looked & worked great for me...My wife liked the velour style for the rx.......My thought is just about any aftermarket dash mat on a rx sure beats the cruddy looking oem dash pad......even thou there's no cracking, ect, just wanted to protect it from cracking....Same as other vehicles even thou they're in a garage, but they sit outside at work....From California & lived in Chandler, Az.
so a more specific question of the different Dashmat a you’ve had, thinking you mentioned the suede and the poly carpet,… which one do you think looks the best,… looks the most natural? That has been my question all along
Old 06-14-21, 07:41 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bcolins
so a more specific question of the different Dashmat a you’ve had, thinking you mentioned the suede and the poly carpet,… which one do you think looks the best,… looks the most natural? That has been my question all along
None of the Dashmats are to look or match the cruddy/shoddy looking/feeling oem dash pad on the 2nd gen rx.......As well as they really cut down on the glaring sun as well....As far as which one looks the best, that'd be up to you....Since you have a few samples of the the different materials that give you a better idea....& yeah it does go down to the glovebox, & I'd go w/ black no matter what color interior.
Old 07-08-22, 08:20 PM
edlexus1
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default regarding dashmat from Covercraft

My 2009 fortunately so far does not have any cracks in the dash board, but I wanted to try to keep it that way so I bought a dashmat. The first one I got was the carpet model. It fit pretty well and installed easily but was sort of lumpy looking even when tacked down with the provided hooky tape. The problem was when the sun shined on it it had filaments in carpet that were shiny and sort of sparkled. The sparkles were distracting and made the whole thing look cheap. I returned it and replaced it with the suedemat. Much smoother fit and no sparkles. Spend a few extra bucks and get the suedemat. It can hide a whole slew of sins and looks damn good.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/dash-covers
The following users liked this post:
Felix (07-08-22)
Old 07-08-22, 08:41 PM
Felix
Pole Position

I went w/ the carpeted one from the velour one which my wife picked out.....I've had the carpeted version in Mustang's & a Camaro yrs ago. IDK what color you went with, but I went w/ black.....I mocked them up & ended cutting about .05'' from the leading edge to get it to fix better. Our rx also doesn't have any cracks or issues, just pretty shotty/cheap looking dashpad for a Lexus.....

Quick Reply: Which “ Dashmat” dashboard cover looks the best