RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 04:10 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention

I have a 2005 RX330 and am looking for recommendations on the best way to deter thieves from stealing my catalytic converter. I have read that you can paint it with a high temperature bright colored paint, or else etch the VIN onto it, or install a cage around it. The first two seem like the simplest way to go about it. I'm wondering if the paint is really effective the value of it comes from the insides.

Has anyone else done this, and if so what did you choose to do?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-21, 06:54 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

The main two convertors are right at the exhaust manifolds.....The 3rd one isn't that big a deal as it fits right after the Y-pipe, so, to get one is a simple replacement, a Magnaflow universal fits & is a simple install.....Really tough to get to the manicats....
The following users liked this post:
lccgl479 (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 07:29 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Originally Posted by Felix
The main two convertors are right at the exhaust manifolds.....The 3rd one isn't that big a deal as it fits right after the Y-pipe, so, to get one is a simple replacement, a Magnaflow universal fits & is a simple install.....Really tough to get to the manicats....
Thanks Felix, that’s good to know. Truth be told, I didn’t know I had more than one.
Old 08-14-21, 03:38 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Painting and/or VIN etching isn't going to cause the thieves or the people they sell it to to have even a second thought about it. Thieves want to steal the part in the shortest time possible, so anything that would make it more difficult for them, meaning take more time, is the kind of deterrent you need.

The cage concept certainly fits the slow 'em down scenario, but they are pricey. You could probably buy 3 Magnaflow cats for the price of one cage. Hondas seem to be the favorite brand for converter thieves, but all cars are targets.
lccgl479 (08-16-21)
Old 08-15-21, 10:25 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Plus one on the cage on how it is impractical and it may deter an attempt or 2 but will not prevent a thief from trying again. Best prevention is to park it where it is safe/r, and if you do not have a good location, then just save money for a replacement and by the way, if these are pros, they will cut your pipes. Makes the loss more as you will have to repair your exhaust. Get a garage or at least rent one. Anyway good luck. Or you can always move to a place where you have a garage,
lccgl479 (08-16-21)
Old 08-16-21, 08:03 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Painting and/or VIN etching isn't going to cause the thieves or the people they sell it to to have even a second thought about it. Thieves want to steal the part in the shortest time possible, so anything that would make it more difficult for them, meaning take more time, is the kind of deterrent you need.

The cage concept certainly fits the slow 'em down scenario, but they are pricey. You could probably buy 3 Magnaflow cats for the price of one cage. Hondas seem to be the favorite brand for converter thieves, but all cars are targets.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve had my RX since October 2004, and I keep it garaged. I was just wondering what others are doing or have done. Maybe ours are not in as high of a demand. Knock on wood. 😁
Old 08-16-21, 08:08 PM
lccgl479
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Plus one on the cage on how it is impractical and it may deter an attempt or 2 but will not prevent a thief from trying again. Best prevention is to park it where it is safe/r, and if you do not have a good location, then just save money for a replacement and by the way, if these are pros, they will cut your pipes. Makes the loss more as you will have to repair your exhaust. Get a garage or at least rent one. Anyway good luck. Or you can always move to a place where you have a garage,
Thanks for replying. I do keep it garaged, and am pretty particular where I park it when out. I’m sure if they wanted it bad enough they’ll take it.
Old 08-18-21, 11:28 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

I imagine they would use a cordless sawz-all with bi-metal blade and cut them off fast but like Felix says above the forward 2 CATs located at the cylinder heads may be very hard to get to without popping the hood.
If they take the 3rd Cat in the back you get a good excuse to do an exhaust mod upgrade. lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Margate330:
Felix (08-18-21), lccgl479 (08-18-21)
Old 08-18-21, 07:10 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Margate330
I imagine they would use a cordless sawz-all with bi-metal blade and cut them off fast but like Felix says above the forward 2 CATs located at the cylinder heads may be very hard to get to without popping the hood.
If they take the 3rd Cat in the back you get a good excuse to do an exhaust mod upgrade. lol
I went w/ a 2.5'' hiflow Magnaflow convertor as well as a Walker Quiet flow SS muffler 19'' case length, 9.75'' width oval, 2.5'' center/offset, as well as 2.5'' tubing, less restriction as well as fairly quiet......
The following 2 users liked this post by Felix:
Luv07RX350 (12-06-21), Margate330 (08-19-21)
Old 08-19-21, 07:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Felix
I went w/ a 2.5'' hiflow Magnaflow convertor as well as a Walker Quiet flow SS muffler 19'' case length, 9.75'' width oval, 2.5'' center/offset, as well as 2.5'' tubing, less restriction as well as fairly quiet......
That mod does sound sooooo darn tempting...
Old 08-20-21, 07:08 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Margate330
That mod does sound sooooo darn tempting...
Its actually fairly easy as well, Phil......
Old 08-22-21, 03:28 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

Painting it a bright color is to make it easier to identify. They do not have any identification numbers so the police have no way to recognize yours if they tried. Large percentage of converters will be at a recycling facility within 24 hours of being stolen. To collect money for one in USA, u are required to show ID, and the recycler must post a description and the seller info in a police book. So if you report it atolen the police can check with the local recycling companies and inform them they are looking for a hot pink converter and that can recover it for u and identify the person who took it in. But a thief will know this and avoid taking one that is blatantly marked and find another target.
The following 2 users liked this post by dwoods801:
lccgl479 (08-23-21), SJM (08-23-21)
Old 08-22-21, 11:20 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dwoods801
...they are looking for a hot pink converter and that can recover it for u.
Good ideas but if I have to paint it Hot Pink they can go ahead and steal it. lolol
Old 08-22-21, 10:27 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 209 Posts

I would get a hot pink ribbon tattoo on the small of my back if itd mean Never firing up my car in the morning and getting caught off guard when the exhaust tone is in the small block Chevy with open headers category. And then another shock learning they would cost over $400 each!! No thank you
SJM (08-23-21)
Old 08-23-21, 04:05 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods801
Painting it a bright color is to make it easier to identify. They do not have any identification numbers so the police have no way to recognize yours if they tried. Large percentage of converters will be at a recycling facility within 24 hours of being stolen. To collect money for one in USA, u are required to show ID, and the recycler must post a description and the seller info in a police book. So if you report it atolen the police can check with the local recycling companies and inform them they are looking for a hot pink converter and that can recover it for u and identify the person who took it in. But a thief will know this and avoid taking one that is blatantly marked and find another target.
While it is illegal to be part of the theft and fencing chain, some recyclers still buy the stolen converters. As long as thieves can find a buyer, this kind of thing will happen.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Theft Prevention