RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

High Brake Light Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 02:02 PM
bkgthe1st
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Brake Light Fuse

I just bought a 2005 RX330 and need to fix the CHMST, ie the 3rd brake light. The entire things is out so it's not a single bulb. All I've found on the Fuse is a 10A labeled STOP. But that, according to the fuse diagram, connects to several different systems at once. So is there another fuse solely for the 3rd/High Brake?
Old 08-19-21, 06:59 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

I remember the whole 3rd stop light assembly is LED, also check if the LED assembly itself isn't shot since you already checked the fuse. I recall it was one fuse and that STOP fuse you checked was the one, if I still had mine I would have ran out there and checked lol
The following users liked this post:
bkgthe1st (08-20-21)
Old 08-20-21, 10:27 AM
bkgthe1st
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
I remember the whole 3rd stop light assembly is LED, also check if the LED assembly itself isn't shot since you already checked the fuse. I recall it was one fuse and that STOP fuse you checked was the one, if I still had mine I would have ran out there and checked lol
Thank you for confirming that. The fuse chart I'd found labeled the STOP fuse with a bunch of different systems which made no sense. Thus my confusion. I haven't removed the assembly yet, gotta track down my stubby screwdrivers to get it out. But I do know that there are 12 LED bulbs in it. I saw on another thread where someone suggested that they're wired in series so if one is out all of them are. Sadly the OP didn't come back later to confirm if that fixed his issue or not. But it's a lot less money than replacing the assembly so I'm going to buy a couple replacement bulbs and see if that fixes it or not. I'll let everyone know what I find.
Old 08-20-21, 11:39 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by bkgthe1st
Thank you for confirming that. The fuse chart I'd found labeled the STOP fuse with a bunch of different systems which made no sense. Thus my confusion. I haven't removed the assembly yet, gotta track down my stubby screwdrivers to get it out. But I do know that there are 12 LED bulbs in it. I saw on another thread where someone suggested that they're wired in series so if one is out all of them are. Sadly the OP didn't come back later to confirm if that fixed his issue or not. But it's a lot less money than replacing the assembly so I'm going to buy a couple replacement bulbs and see if that fixes it or not. I'll let everyone know what I find.
The high mounted brake light does not have its own fuse. When you step on the brake pedal, the brake light switch sends power to the 3 lights. The one wire from the brake light switch splits into 3 wires in the rear of the car behind the rear seat.

What you want to do first is see if you have 12 volts at the high mounted brake light. If you do have 12 volts, then the light assembly is bad. As stated, the brake light is a bunch of leds. They ARE NOT wired in series. If one led goes out, the rest still work.

Lexus did not design the high mounted brake light to have easily replaceable individual leds. The leds are soldered onto a printed circuit board. If you are an electronic tech that repairs printed circuit boards, then it will be easy peasy for you. The only challenge you will have is to find the specific led that Lexus used. There are hundreds of different leds and Lexus isn't saying which one they used.