RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Radiator fan very loud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 01:04 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Radiator fan very loud?

2006 RX 118k. Noticed now since we fixed the ac that anytime the fan comes on which it does mostly when idling or coming to a stop with the AC on that it’s very loud like a rattling sound. Once you start moving and the fan goes off there is no sound. It is really annoying sounds like a hoopty. I’m thinking it’s the actual fan motor not the fan itself but it seems that is sold separately. Any help is appreciated. Not sure how to test it or what I really need to buy.
Old 08-24-21, 01:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

What was done to the A/C? When you say we fixed it, is that you, a shop?
Old 08-24-21, 01:36 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What was done to the A/C? When you say we fixed it, is that you, a shop?
sorry we changed the condenser. Me and my bro in law who specializes in HVAC. The fan was loud before I just didn’t notice as much because it would cycle on and off. But it’s not from the repair we did because it made this same sound when it would momentarily come on before we got the ac running
Old 08-24-21, 01:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Although you can, these fans are not really designed to be replaced you buy the entire shroud complete with motors and fans. Given how many sold in the Ebay listings I looked at seems to be a common problem.
Old 08-24-21, 01:57 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

The fan and it’s motor are one unit, they usually work trouble free for the long term. They work at high speed so balance can be an issue and incorrect mounting can cause unusual noises. Can u confirm the fan is continuing to run when the noise goes away? If the fan is noisy anytime it’s spinning then make sure it’s totally secure and mounted correctly. Nothing has gotten into the shroud and is interfering with its rotation. The blade isn’t wobbling when it’s spinning etc. If it is looks and feels solid without anything obviously interfering with it, then look to replacing it with another OEM unit. I always look for good used options. You could have a bad bearing or damaged blade and will probably be able to confirm if u can Inspect it closely.

Last edited by dwoods801; 08-24-21 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-24-21, 05:54 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dwoods801
The fan and it’s motor are one unit, they usually work trouble free for the long term. They work at high speed so balance can be an issue and incorrect mounting can cause unusual noises. Can u confirm the fan is continuing to run when the noise goes away? If the fan is noisy anytime it’s spinning then make sure it’s totally secure and mounted correctly. Nothing has gotten into the shroud and is interfering with its rotation. The blade isn’t wobbling when it’s spinning etc. If it is looks and feels solid without anything obviously interfering with it, then look to replacing it with another OEM unit. I always look for good used options. You could have a bad bearing or damaged blade and will probably be able to confirm if u can Inspect it closely.
my man dwoods! What you doing in this neck of the woods I thought you were only on the GS section. However I confirmed the noise is only present when the fans running. That’s why when I’m driving when the fan goes off the noise goes away. I did notice the bottom of the fan is not secured to the car I can move the whole piece up and down, is this normal? I don’t see anywhere there should be screws. I thought that might be the problem so I tried holding it down while the fan was running and the noise was still there.

you really think I’m better off with used OEM over a good aftermarket one? I mean it’s just a fan
Old 08-24-21, 05:55 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Although you can, these fans are not really designed to be replaced you buy the entire shroud complete with motors and fans. Given how many sold in the Ebay listings I looked at seems to be a common problem.
thats a smart way to tell if the part goes bad often.
Old 08-24-21, 07:23 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

That’s the way to go, the shroud attaches to the radiator in about 5 places and once it’s bolted on it should be totally solid. I wasn’t really following the RX section, I followed u from the other section and just saw that nobody over had replied to your question so I figured I would add my 2 cents. The problem with the aftermarket ones can be there method for attaching to the radiator. A lot of them can only attach directly to the radiator then the shroud becomes useless and instead of cooling the entire surface of the radiator, they just cool the part they’re touching. It becomes a guessing game to getting it right. I prefer good original parts when I have a choice. They’re usually less expensive too. Just make sure to pinpoint the problem before buying anything. No need to replace the fan if it’s just the bolt has worked it’s way loose or something
Old 08-24-21, 08:36 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dwoods801
That’s the way to go, the shroud attaches to the radiator in about 5 places and once it’s bolted on it should be totally solid. I wasn’t really following the RX section, I followed u from the other section and just saw that nobody over had replied to your question so I figured I would add my 2 cents. The problem with the aftermarket ones can be there method for attaching to the radiator. A lot of them can only attach directly to the radiator then the shroud becomes useless and instead of cooling the entire surface of the radiator, they just cool the part they’re touching. It becomes a guessing game to getting it right. I prefer good original parts when I have a choice. They’re usually less expensive too. Just make sure to pinpoint the problem before buying anything. No need to replace the fan if it’s just the bolt has worked it’s way loose or something
yea I was thinking it’s because it’s loose on the bottom. I can lift the whole fan shroud piece up from the bottom but it doesn’t seem to be why it’s noisy because even pushing it down and securing it with my hand I still hear the noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the fan motor but hard to tell. Crazy how expensive the used oem fan is. I only see one on eBay and it’s $270 shipped.
Old 08-24-21, 08:59 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Edit- I reccomend this one.
Good luck.

Last edited by Margate330; 08-25-21 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-25-21, 09:57 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I can’t see anywhere that bolts go from the top view. Do you know what has to be removed to access the bottom area where the bolts go? Or can it be accessed on a lift? I can’t even see any holes for bolts down there. My luck it’s always something not simple. By your description I definitely don’t want aftermarket then I can’t take no chances over $100. I figured a simple fan would be easy enough to make a working one but I guess not. Oem it is. Can you tell if this one has everything I need or do I need to use my old ecu?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32455159898...gAAOSwOYZgZzrg

weird this one says Japan built so that means the fan is different then the Canada built ones? Even more confusion to add. I have Japan built btw:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324265784944?fits=Model%3ARX330%7CMake%3ALexus&epid=83292738&hash=item4b7fbf3670:g:mp4AAOSw61dbv4vv

Originally Posted by Margate330
The bolts on the bottom will need to be snugged up as you already know.

If they are missing consider replacing them with bolts only long enough to go thru the shroud + 0.25"(maybe 0.5") or just enough to thread into the welded nut on the lower bracket on each side. There is almost no clearance(very little) between the bracket and radiator core so puncture is very easy with a bolt too long.

These fan kits are a dime a dozen on ebay and there are 2 popular types if you decide to go with aftermarket and if you need something quick the local auto parts should have either one depending on where you go.

Plz add- I would've preferred to replace with oem fans but at they time they were very expensive @ $250 approx each- really wanted oem but got these. Also, like others say I wouldnt recommend aftermarket kits that don't have oem fitment or require any guess work for placement and mounting because it's can be a setup for failure.

Type#1: Uses your old fan ECU- best option.
Type #2: Claimed to be "new and improved" and includes the fan ecu but plz be warned this included fan ecu must be used with these new motors because it is a different style motor(PWM) than original so your old fan ecus will not work on it and/or can cause damage to your car if you try. Mine was defective out of the box and if I wasn't monitoring my temps with a scanner after 1st installation I would've overheated my engine. Fan ECU was defective and I couldn't use my old one so had to return it and I'm glad I kept the box..

Coolant Tank: quality control issues- original tank will not fit the replacement and mine leaked so I recommend filling it with water to make sure it's not defective before installing it- something I didn't see coming.

Type #1

Last edited by DMPesso; 08-25-21 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 10:34 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

You think I can do what Rhino did? He replaced just the motor. It sounds like the noise is coming from the motor, but of course can’t be sure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-wanted-3.html

Old 08-25-21, 10:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Lots of options.
Wish you success.

Last edited by Margate330; 08-25-21 at 10:57 PM.