RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone use these filters???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 04:11 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Anyone use these filters???

Hi guys, so today i wanted to check out another parts place. I went to a local Napa shop. I picked up a cabin air filter and wanted to get an oil filter. They had a regular (pro select) and their gold line of filters. It seems to be made well. I usually buy wix, which have worked well for me.
any of you use this brand before?
i also change my oil every 6000km.
fab
Old 08-27-21, 06:54 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

I prefer OEM Denso filters, but you can't go wrong with the Napa Gold -- it is made by Wix and is the same filter.
https://www.fleetfilter.com/comparis...LD-filter.html
The following users liked this post:
JimmyRX350 (08-31-21)
Old 08-27-21, 07:05 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Cdnewton... after i posted this i read a bit more on it, seems like they are wix. I went with the regular filter, not the gold. Is it still just as good as the wix brand grade?
i was reading more about the Spin-on type filters. My lexus uses the round, paper filter. I guess it's more simple compared to the spin-on types?
hopefully the one i got will work well?
fab
Old 08-27-21, 07:53 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

from Wix: The Proselect filter is manufactured by Wix Filtration Corp. The Proselect filter is manufactured to very different standards; Wix says it traps 50% less dirt than their standard filter, and recommends an oil change interval of just 5000 km with the Proselect
Old 08-28-21, 09:02 AM
fabchef
Intermediate

Cdnewton... i took a look at the proselect filter and compared it to the Wix one i have. I counted the pleats in both. The proselect had 42 while the wix had 44...isn't that kinda close? Is it a big difference? I know the filters are different for the spin on ones (material and metal housing, oil seal), i figure with these filters being just paper, should be ok?
as i said, i change my oil about every 5-6000 km (about 4000 miles). Will the proselect be ok?
fab
Old 08-28-21, 09:04 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

I wouldn't worry about it, I personally believe just about any filter can do 4000 miles.

Last edited by cdnewton; 08-28-21 at 04:57 PM.
JimmyRX350 (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 09:12 AM
fabchef
Intermediate

Just looked at the napa site, and saw the proselect Master Pack filter i got. It says oil change intervals should be around 8000km. I change mine at 5-6000km. I guess it should be fine?
Old 08-28-21, 11:38 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

Hi friends, I buy mine oem on ebay in 3 or 5 pack quantities very cheap and keep them on the shelf for when I need them.
I just recently realized you use the cartridge type filter on the RX350 while mine is a spin on type on my RX330 but I found these
today and just wondering why not use oem or are they not as good?

Old 08-28-21, 07:04 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi friends, I buy mine oem on ebay in 3 or 5 pack quantities very cheap and keep them on the shelf for when I need them.
I just recently realized you use the cartridge type filter on the RX350 while mine is a spin on type on my RX330 but I found these

Margate330, can't speak for OP or the others but I do use OEM filters and buy them bulk too on eBay. BUT, be very careful, lots of fakes, if price is too good to be true, you bet it is. I try to find actual Toyota/Lexus dealers on eBay that sell bulk/lot packages.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexuswiz:
Margate330 (08-28-21), spinellib (08-29-21)
Old 08-28-21, 08:19 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

Great...
So they are copying oem oil filters too... Thank you for the heads up.
Only asked about oem because I always wondered if they were any better than Wix or other aftermarket or are they cheap made.
I like Wix, I've been in their factory in Gastonia, NC many years ago and saw filters being made with my own eyes on their machines so I know some of their stuff is made in america and they take a lot of pride in their product.
spinellib (08-29-21)
Old 08-29-21, 10:06 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Yeah, evidently they (china) are cloning Toyota parts boxes, right down to copying the mulit-colored shiny sticker of "authenticity" and printing "Made In Japan" or "Made in Philippines."
That includes brake fluid and transmission fluid, etc., too.
If I buy online, I buy directly from a Toyota dealership or Rock Auto. Ebay is not trustworthy at all, unless you know for certain the merchant is a real Toyota dealership store. Thousands of fake listings for "Genuine OEM" parts. Amazon is almost as bad.

fabchef, I use Toyota parts, but Wix/Napa are certainly better than fake Toyota parts. So rest assured you're using a decent filter.

Last edited by spinellib; 08-29-21 at 10:11 AM.
SJM (08-31-21)
Old 08-29-21, 01:47 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Great...
So they are copying oem oil filters too... Thank you for the heads up.
Only asked about oem because I always wondered if they were any better than Wix or other aftermarket or are they cheap made.
I like Wix, I've been in their factory in Gastonia, NC many years ago and saw filters being made with my own eyes on their machines so I know some of their stuff is made in america and they take a lot of pride in their product.
They are copying almost every part Toyota makes. I got suckered into an A/F sensor. $200 new from Toyota, $50 on eBay. Bought it without thinking and it did not fix my check engine light. At the time it didn't click to me it was fake, until it hit me to put it next to the old original sensor, totally different.

Originally Posted by spinellib
Yeah, evidently they (china) are cloning Toyota parts boxes, right down to copying the mulit-colored shiny sticker of "authenticity" and printing "Made In Japan" or "Made in Philippines."
That includes brake fluid and transmission fluid, etc., too.
If I buy online, I buy directly from a Toyota dealership or Rock Auto. Ebay is not trustworthy at all, unless you know for certain the merchant is a real Toyota dealership store. Thousands of fake listings for "Genuine OEM" parts. Amazon is almost as bad.

fabchef, I use Toyota parts, but Wix/Napa are certainly better than fake Toyota parts. So rest assured you're using a decent filter.

https://youtu.be/aeqYIt1x7Jw
They are getting better and better by the day, these boxes are almost mirror images to the uninformed. But on closer inspection of the part itself is when you can see why it's significantly cheaper.

I agree Ebay can be sketch but I always look up the dealer, typically their username matches the dealer's name then I can google them.
SJM (08-31-21)
Old 08-29-21, 07:37 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Margate330, can't speak for OP or the others but I do use OEM filters and buy them bulk too on eBay. BUT, be very careful, lots of fakes, if price is too good to be true, you bet it is. I try to find actual Toyota/Lexus dealers on eBay that sell bulk/lot packages.
I bought this 5 pack of filters for RX350 on e-bay. It is sold by a Lexus dealer, Bell Lexus North of Scottsdale AZ.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232189821694

The 3 pack Margate found is $6.66 per filter. The 5 pack (with shipping added in) is $5.17 each. I can justify a 5 pack because I have 2 cars that use that filter.
Old 08-29-21, 09:32 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 438 Posts

I use Wix xp, Mobil 1 & K&N filters w/ synthectic oil....as those filters are designed for synthectic oils.
SJM (08-31-21)
Old 08-30-21, 03:53 AM
fabchef
Intermediate

Wow! I didn't know that there are knockoffs in car parts like that!😧.

i guess it also comes down to what kind of oil you are using, and frequency of your oil changes. I know of people using full synthetic oil and changing it once or twice a year. For me i find that way too long.
I'm currently running Mobil Super 1000 oil, which is rated for 7000km. I change it ever 5-6000km MAX! I find it makes the car run smoother.
fab

Quick Reply: Anyone use these filters???