RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dead battery, physical key not working, how to get intro get into car ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 05:06 PM
Thaywood
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead battery, physical key not working, how to get intro get into car ?

2006 RX330. Car is locked, battery dead, physical key won’t unlock the door. How can I get in?

Will the physical key work anywhere other than the driver’s door?

Can I get the hood open to jump the battery?

Is there a way to connect power kind of like a trickle charger in the cigarette lighter, but from outside?

I saw suggestions get a tow truck to use a slim jim (??) but am wondering if the alarm will go off.

What to do?

Terry

Background: the physical key does not work because I previously replaced the lock mechanism and didn’t get the key part lined up when I put it in. See Previous message that explains this. I have not been back to fix it but for what it’s worth I’ll be there later this month.
Old 11-06-21, 05:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,923 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Far as I know there are 3 locks. Drivers door, ignition and glove box. Many locksmiths use a device like this along with tools to grab the mechanical unlock button. Wedge the bags in the door and expand just enough to get access.

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-06-21, 07:20 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaywood
Is there a way to connect power kind of like a trickle charger in the cigarette lighter, but from outside...
You ask a very good question because I wondered about this too.
So last year I poured over the wiring schematics for every inch of the car looking for a way to inject battery voltage into a wire harness anywhere accessible from the outside exactly for this purpose.
Only way in is aftermarket tow hitch wiring(factory won't work)- injecting low amps/voltage to get the key fob working.

No other way in I can see and seems deliberate from Lexus for security reasons- I don't think this was by accident.
If anyone finds another way, plz share.

Last edited by Margate330; 11-06-21 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-06-21, 07:51 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

2006 RX330. Car is locked, battery dead, physical key won’t unlock the door. How can I get in?

Will the physical key work anywhere other than the driver’s door?

Can I get the hood open to jump the battery?

Is there a way to connect power kind of like a trickle charger in the cigarette lighter, but from outside?

I saw suggestions get a tow truck to use a slim jim (??) but am wondering if the alarm will go off.

What to do?

Terry

Background: the physical key does not work because I previously replaced the lock mechanism and didn’t get the key part lined up when I put it in. See Previous message that explains this. I have not been back to fix it but for what it’s worth I’ll be there later this month.
Only services like triple-A.
they will do the next
Originally Posted by LeX2K
.... Wedge the bags in the door and expand just enough to get access.
PS: I had the same problem with dead 12v battery 2 months ago (door can't be open with a key in my car)
Old 11-07-21, 05:15 AM
Thaywood
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both for replies. If you went to all the trouble of researching the wiring diagram I’m sure there is no practical way to get the hood open.
It sounds like breaking in, either myself or a professional, is the only way.

I think I’ll get signed up for AAA and go that route. While it would be fun to get the expanding bag tool and do it myself that sounds like it might take some skill. I hope AAA can get in, their description of services says they will “try”. Can’t blame them for that, they can hardly guarantee to be able to open any car.

I’d try a locksmith but I’ve read about so many locksmith scams (there is even a Wikipedia page about them) I’d be more comfortable with a national brand.

Thanks again, if I have anything interesting to report I’ll post back.
Old 11-07-21, 07:26 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Not all jurisdictions do this but I have had an instance where my local police department assisted with breaking into my own car. You do have to show proof of ownership even if the car may be on your property. Called the non-emergency line and explained my embarrassing situation and they came when the were free and in the area, they did the bag trick with a hook tool to get the lock. Just putting out another option.
Old 11-07-21, 08:31 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you both for replies. If you went to all the trouble of researching the wiring diagram I’m sure there is no practical way to get the hood open.
Every car I've ever owned had a key lock on driver's and passenger side door but our car doesn't and this concerned me because if the door lock fails while having a dead battery(Murphy's Law) how does someone inject voltage?

After the schematics lead to a dead end I crawled under the car and reached up and every wire that can be touched goes thru a relay that's powered when the key is on or has no direct connection to 12V so that was a dead end too.

Then I tried to see if the hood can be popped- yeah it can but only if I break stuff like the grill. lol

I'm glad this thread came up because I have been entertaining the idea of leaving a wire hidden but within reach that goes to the + battery terminal taped up and safe for if I ever need to do this I can inject voltage as needed.
The following users liked this post:
ronkelley (02-19-22)
Old 11-07-21, 05:33 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
... I have been entertaining the idea of leaving a wire hidden but within reach that goes to the + battery terminal taped up and safe for if I ever need to do this I can inject voltage as needed.
I was thinking about this "hack" also
Margate330 (11-13-21)
Old 11-10-21, 04:50 PM
wz4rfv
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jack up the front of the car. Remove the under tray and the close out between the bumper cover and under tray. Now you might be able to reach up to the hood latch to pop the hood but you WILL be able to reach the starter where you can back feed the system with 12v. Or you could take the easy route and break the side window...

Bob
Old 11-12-21, 10:33 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wz4rfv
Jack up the front of the car. Remove the under tray and the close out between the bumper cover and under tray. Now you might be able to reach up to the hood latch to pop the hood but you WILL be able to reach the starter where you can back feed the system with 12v. Or you could take the easy route and break the side window...

Bob
Hi Bob, good ideas and hopefully someone will try and report success, however I failed on these tests.
On the RX330 and I couldn't reach the hood cable or linkage from under the car.
Alternator is out of the question, too much crapola in the way.
If I had a longer arm with two elbows I could articulate up and over the transmission to the power wire on the starter, yeah I failed miserably. lol
Old 11-13-21, 05:15 AM
wz4rfv
Rookie

My next suggestion, since the starter is on top of the transmission, would be to remove the left front wheel and inner fender liner to see if you can get to the back side of the starter from there, but I'd bet the motor mount on that side will block your access. If so, and this is where it starts getting ugly, drop the subframe on that side and remove the motor mount.

Then there is the simple way: break the side window! Windows are amazingly easy to replace and should be cheap from a junkyard. If you go this route, tape up the window first to minimize the clean up.

Good luck and if I have any other ideas, I'll be sure to post them.

Bob
Margate330 (11-13-21)
Old 11-13-21, 06:48 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

My next suggestion, since the starter is on top of the transmission, would be to remove the left front wheel and inner fender liner to see if you can get to the back side of the starter from there, but I'd bet the motor mount on that side will block your access. If so, and this is where it starts getting ugly, drop the subframe on that side and remove the motor mount.

Then there is the simple way: break the side window! Windows are amazingly easy to replace and should be cheap from a junkyard. If you go this route, tape up the window first to minimize the clean up.

Good luck and if I have any other ideas, I'll be sure to post them.

Bob
That's actually a dam good idea, I like it.
I may look into finding a way to make an emergency hood release too.
If this could be done I would like this even better!
Old 11-15-21, 04:05 PM
postaljeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx330 wiring diagram

Looking for a rx330 wiring diagram to help run down a voltage draw
Old 11-26-21, 04:53 AM
Thaywood
Driver School Candidate

Default Looking for starter cable

Picking up on the powerless locked car, I removed the bottom tray and am trying to find the starter and the battery lead. If I find it I expect the battery lead will be on top and not visible. Probably can handle that if I can at least find it. Looking from under the car there is the battery box way up, then lower I think the “air box”. From there, whereabouts is the starter and its battery cable? Another useful landmark is the steering linkage. Here’s a picture.

can I get there from here? Does this look possible?

thanks for all the good discussion so far.

terry

Looking up past the steering linkage.

Bob
Old 11-26-21, 05:11 AM
wz4rfv
Rookie

The starter is on top of the transmission and is not visible in the above picture. I looked from the driver's side wheel well and couldn't see it from that location either. Try looking on the front of the engine for the alternator. The bolted on lead to it goes directly to the battery. But, IIRC, the alternator is high up on the engine and may not be reachable either.

I have a few other ideas but need a wiring diagram to analyze them. Are there wiring diagrams online somewhere?

Bob

Quick Reply: Dead battery, physical key not working, how to get intro get into car ?