RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 Lexus RX330 side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-21, 02:48 PM
BW23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Lexus RX330 side mirror

I ordered 2 new side mirrors for a 2004 Lexus RX330, I needed the 11 wire version and I did not get that. They are custom painted so I cannot swap/replace them. Is there anything I can do to make the ones I got work, is there some type of adapter or anything I can do?

I will attach pics..

Thanks

- BW

11 wire (what I need)

what I got (cannot use)
Old 11-29-21, 02:21 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts

Maybe someone with a RX330 can post a wiring diag, or maybe same as RX350, see:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ubleshoot.html

fire up the soldering iron, wire splicing time?
Old 11-29-21, 04:04 PM
wz4rfv
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What color (paint code) are they?

Bob
Old 11-30-21, 10:34 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Hi friends,
There are 4 mirror options for our cars.

1) "Mirror w/ memory" has a 16 pin plug
A) if mirror has 2 black wires you have mirror heater option too.
B) if you do not have these wires there is no mirror heater but the plug is compatible so it can be replaced with a "mirror w/ memory" with or without the heater.

2) "Mirror without memory" has a 7 pin plug.
A) if mirror has a brown wire and a white/black wire you have the mirror heater option too.
B) if you do not have these wires there is no mirror heater but the plug is compatible so it can be replaced with a "mirror without memory" with or without the heater.

*Note- looking at the detail- the "mirror w/ memory" is controlled and powered by it's own mirror ECU in each door but the "mirror without memory" is driven by a switch straignt to fused voltage. The reason I would be afraid to splice in the wrong mirror is because we don't know if the mirror motors are electrically wound the same way. The "mirror w/ memory" may have a motor that is pulse width modulated from it's ecu and the other mirror is not and could possibly pull too much current if swapped(and do damage to the ecu). Someone would have to try it to find out or scope the motor wires from the ecu to know for sure but I'd pass on that unless you are up for it. I really don't know if it is safe without more info.

Also, I replaced both of mine with the black colored aftermarket and I think they look great for $90 ea.
Used mirrors at the age of our cars is not a long term solution- if the motors in them aren't making noise and on their way out already I'd be surprised.
BTW- I sold the mirror heater glass out of my mirrors online and it paid for my new mirrors.

Connector for "mirror w/ memory" with or without the heater option.

Here is the mirror ecu

Here is the connector for "mirror without memory" and same for with or without heater

Here is how it is wired to switched & fused voltage directly

The following users liked this post:
Mesquite77 (12-01-21)
Old 12-02-21, 04:53 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Nice explanation on the side mirrors for our cars! Thank you.
Margate330 (12-03-21)
Old 12-03-21, 09:58 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Nice explanation on the side mirrors for our cars! Thank you.
Thank you for kind words.

I looked thru the schematics and posted the best I can understand it.
If anyone finds any mistakes plz let me know so I can fix it.

Last edited by Margate330; 12-03-21 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-20-21, 04:35 PM
BW23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wz4rfv
What color (paint code) are they?

Bob
So sorry, for some reason I was never alerted to any replies from this thread..

The paint code is 062 White Crystal Pearl

- BW
Old 12-20-21, 04:41 PM
BW23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi friends,
There are 4 mirror options for our cars.

1) "Mirror w/ memory" has a 16 pin plug
A) if mirror has 2 black wires you have mirror heater option too.
B) if you do not have these wires there is no mirror heater but the plug is compatible so it can be replaced with a "mirror w/ memory" with or without the heater.

2) "Mirror without memory" has a 7 pin plug.
A) if mirror has a brown wire and a white/black wire you have the mirror heater option too.
B) if you do not have these wires there is no mirror heater but the plug is compatible so it can be replaced with a "mirror without memory" with or without the heater.

*Note- looking at the detail- the "mirror w/ memory" is controlled and powered by it's own mirror ECU in each door but the "mirror without memory" is driven by a switch straignt to fused voltage. The reason I would be afraid to splice in the wrong mirror is because we don't know if the mirror motors are electrically wound the same way. The "mirror w/ memory" may have a motor that is pulse width modulated from it's ecu and the other mirror is not and could possibly pull too much current if swapped(and do damage to the ecu). Someone would have to try it to find out or scope the motor wires from the ecu to know for sure but I'd pass on that unless you are up for it. I really don't know if it is safe without more info.

Also, I replaced both of mine with the black colored aftermarket and I think they look great for $90 ea.
Used mirrors at the age of our cars is not a long term solution- if the motors in them aren't making noise and on their way out already I'd be surprised.
BTW- I sold the mirror heater glass out of my mirrors online and it paid for my new mirrors.

Connector for "mirror w/ memory" with or without the heater option.

Here is the mirror ecu

Here is the connector for "mirror without memory" and same for with or without heater

Here is how it is wired to switched & fused voltage directly

Thank you very much for this, great breakdown and explanation! The "red wire" and the "red/white" wire was what confused me.
Margate330 (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 10:42 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BW23
Thank you very much for this, great breakdown and explanation! The "red wire" and the "red/white" wire was what confused me.
Thank you for kind words.

If your old worn out mirrors are OEM Lexus and the have heated mirrors, you can remove the mirror glass and sell them online.

They are expensive and worth $$$ and like I said they paid for my new aftermarket mirrors.
Old 04-16-22, 01:32 PM
jayboydog
Driver School Candidate

Default I see 11 wires from car to mirror housing. 4 wires attach to the back of mirror glas

my '04 RX330 has
11 wires from car to mirror housing.
4 of these connect to back of mirror glass. The 4 wires must be for heat.

of the 4, 2(sky blue, black/red) joint a 2-pin connector-- then to top and bottom of backside element on glass. 2 black wires connect to tabs on the corner of backside of glass.

The mirror glass listed as with heat for sale online have only tabs for the two black wires.
I suppose the surface with 2-pin connector-- must be removed from old glass and placed on backside of new glass.

The other 7 wires from car are for power movement.

Last edited by jayboydog; 04-16-22 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Partial quote deleted.
Old 04-18-22, 03:26 AM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 11 Wire Mirror Actuator

Hello,
Used 11 Wire Mirror Actuators are sold on Ebay.
I don't know if that will help You, but I got one for my right side Mirror and it took care of my problem, Best of Luck!
Old 06-01-22, 08:59 PM
ides79
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a dimming mirror option?

I recently purchased a 2005 RX330 and my drivers side mirror is warped and tinted. Did the heating element warp the glass or something?
Old 06-02-22, 04:46 AM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Default RX330 side mirror

Originally Posted by ides79
I recently purchased a 2005 RX330 and my drivers side mirror is warped and tinted. Did the heating element warp the glass or something?
The Yellowish tint and blurry vision is caused by the Auto Dimming Fluid leaking onto the Glass, not by the heating element.
The simple inexpensive solution is to put an aftermarket adhesive mirror over the defective mirror glass, but it won't be Auto Dimming or Heated.
Or, You can replace it with a New or Used OEM mirror glass. They are available on Ebay, Amazon, Lexus and other auto parts resellers.
There are videos on You Tube showing the replacement. I hope this Helps.
ides79 (06-02-22)
Old 06-02-22, 06:06 PM
jayboydog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cfh13427
The Yellowish tint and blurry vision is caused by the Auto Dimming Fluid leaking onto the Glass, not by the heating element.
The simple inexpensive solution is to put an aftermarket adhesive mirror over the defective mirror glass, but it won't be Auto Dimming or Heated.
Or, You can replace it with a New or Used OEM mirror glass. They are available on Ebay, Amazon, Lexus and other auto parts resellers.
There are videos on You Tube showing the replacement. I hope this Helps.

my passenger mirror cracked after hitting a parked car's driver's mirror. i see a brown liquid inside the mirror glass which no longer covers the top 1/2 inch of the glass. I believe the fluid is the tint. on the back of the broken glass is a metalic ribbon (heating element covers the entire back surface) which can be peeled off and applied to a replacement glass.
when I replace the glass, from ebay or aliexpress.com, i will look to buy auto-dim and I believe the back of the glass will have two pins at one corner (thus for heat connector). and I have seen mirror details describe "curved", although the text doesn't specify convex. I am looking for right passenger mirror glass (auto-dim, heated, convex).
Old 06-02-22, 06:48 PM
cfh13427
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayboydog
my passenger mirror cracked after hitting a parked car's driver's mirror. i see a brown liquid inside the mirror glass which no longer covers the top 1/2 inch of the glass. I believe the fluid is the tint. on the back of the broken glass is a metalic ribbon (heating element covers the entire back surface) which can be peeled off and applied to a replacement glass.
when I replace the glass, from ebay or aliexpress.com, i will look to buy auto-dim and I believe the back of the glass will have two pins at one corner (thus for heat connector). and I have seen mirror details describe "curved", although the text doesn't specify convex. I am looking for right passenger mirror glass (auto-dim, heated, convex).
I was told by the local Lexus Dealer that the fluid was from the Auto Dimming part of the mirror, that's where I got that information, it may not be 100% accurate, but that's what I was told by a Lexus Service Adviser.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus RX330 side mirror