RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Window mechanisms

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 06:56 AM
Smoekieyes
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window mechanisms

Just trying to figure out if my mechanic is trying to pull a fast one... can somebody tell me if I had my automatic windows control on the drivers side replaced a few weeks back, whether my window getting stuck down is a related problem due to a faulty replacement part? I'm pretty sure he got it from the junkyard and is telling me the motor went, which is unrelated to the switch mechanism he already replaced. Seems fishy to me as I also had my power steering pump replaced and now my car is leaking power steering fluid (completely unrelated, but also an odd coincidence to me). I have an 07 RX350 200K. Thx.
Old 01-23-22, 01:00 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Sounds like your mechanic didn't diag it right....I'd think that if its a switch, he could of removed the switch( remove the door panel) to jump the wires to see. If its jumped & still nothing then that'd tell him the motor is done & simpl eenough to get a new window regulator. On your p/s pump, Is it p/s fluid? as engine oil could be dripping on the pump. If its red p/s fluid, then possibly he didn't install new O-rings on the p/s hoses to the pump. Or it could be the high pressure line going to the rack or a return line from the rack to the reservoir or from the reservoir to the pump....If its leaking, I'd take it back.....Kinda sounds like you need to find a new indy shop.....If your paying a fair rate, it should be repaired correctly........

Last edited by Felix; 01-25-22 at 07:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (01-23-22)
Old 01-23-22, 01:19 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoekieyes
Just trying to figure out if my mechanic is trying to pull a fast one... can somebody tell me if I had my automatic windows control on the drivers side replaced a few weeks back, whether my window getting stuck down is a related problem due to a faulty replacement part? I'm pretty sure he got it from the junkyard and is telling me the motor went, which is unrelated to the switch mechanism he already replaced. Seems fishy to me as I also had my power steering pump replaced and now my car is leaking power steering fluid (completely unrelated, but also an odd coincidence to me). I have an 07 RX350 200K. Thx.
Hi friend, a lot more info is needed to answer your question. Don't be shy tell us the whole story plz, promise you won't bore us with relevant details.

"can somebody tell me if I had my automatic windows control on the drivers side replaced a few weeks back, whether my window getting stuck down is a related problem due to a faulty replacement part?" -

1) Why was it replaced to begin with and what were the symptoms that led to replacing it.
2) Did it work properly after the replacement, if even for just a day? or did it have no affect?
3) What do you mean by "it's getting stuck down"?- does this mean that it will go up eventually or not at all?

As you probably already know the "window control" on the driver's side is more than just a switch. It is an ECM with a processor in it to communicate via serial data to the rest of the car and also includes the switching gear for the window(it appears) from looking at the wiring details(see below). So the replacement "window control" could be faulty or you could have a motor problem. Really need more info.

I suspect there is a relay inside the switch as it looks like the window motor wiring goes nowhere except here- could be pulse width modulated too so may not have a relay- I haven't opened up a switch to verify so you could try replacing the new switch with the old one to see what changes- that's if you got your old one back.

Old 01-23-22, 02:06 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Sounds like your mechanic didn't diag it right....I'd think that if its a switch, he could of removed the switch( remove the door panel) to jump the wires to see. If its jumped & still nothing then that'd tell him the motor is done & simpl eenough to get a new window regulator. On your p/s pump, Is it p/s fluid? as engine oil could be dripping on the pump. If its red p/s fluid, then possibly he didn't install new O-rings on the p/s hoses to the pump. Or it could be the high pressure line going to the rack or a return line from the rack to the reservoir or from the reservoir to the pump....If its leaking, I'd take it back.....Kinda sounds like you need to find a new indy shop.....If your paying a fair rate, it should be repaired correctly........I'd think he wouldn't want (be backs), come backs....Sounds like you need a ''Shecanic'' as there are a few strong women tech's that IK..........
Edit- deleted tasteless post....
Was just trying to be funny, plz ignore.

Last edited by Margate330; 01-23-22 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 09:25 PM
VannLocz90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoekieyes
Probably have a bad window motor. Not a switch. They don't last forever. The clips on the bottom that raise N lower the window as well as hold it on the track pry took a crap.