RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Crankshaft Position Sensor Wires Pulled Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-22 | 11:47 AM
woodfam528
Driver School Candidate

Default Crankshaft Position Sensor Wires Pulled Out

I was replacing my alternator and ended up pulling out the wires to the crankshaft position sensor. I need to replace the wires and any help in finding the connector cap to the sensor will be huge. Please and thank you. The sensor is fine just need to get the two wires replaced.
Old 01-26-22 | 08:39 AM
uksparky
Pit Crew

You should be able to take out the pins from the plug connector and re solder the wires then push the wires back into the conn
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (03-07-22)
Old 03-07-22 | 10:36 PM
Nocluelexu
Driver School Candidate

Default Crankshaft sensor

I'm having the same problem . The exact thing happened to me but when put back the connector I didn't know which wire goes where or does it matter but anyways I can't get my Lexus started did you have any luck with yours. If not can anyone help me. Thanks
Old 03-07-22 | 11:55 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Default Crank Sensor

This is "no problema".
Like mentioned above, wires should be simple to check at the sensor connector but if in doubt you can ohm straight thru from the sensor connector to the Engine ECM located behind glove box.

When you clear any engine codes do the come back on instantly?
What is your year/model?
Old 03-08-22 | 12:16 AM
Nocluelexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
This is "no problema".
Like mentioned above, wires should be simple to check at the sensor connector but if in doubt you can ohm straight thru from the sensor connector to the Engine ECM located behind glove box.

When you clear any engine codes do the come back on instantly?
What is your year/model?
2007 rx350 that's the thing the wire seems ok I'm getting ground on the wire no check engine but when I put the scanner on the crank sensor is not communicating with the ecu
Old 03-08-22 | 04:04 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

I'm not good with wiring diagrams, but from what I can tell, both crankshaft sensor wires to to the ECU, i.e., blk is not a direct ground.

I'm not sure what the "loop" around them is or if it may be part of the mystery? Curious.

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22 | 09:16 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
I'm not good with wiring diagrams, but from what I can tell, both crankshaft sensor wires to to the ECU, i.e., blk is not a direct ground.

I'm not sure what the "loop" around them is or if it may be part of the mystery? Curious.

If I remember right Mesquite is correct- the 2 wires are a straight run back to the plug on the Engine Ecm.
What makes this nice is the sensor can be left hooked up if desired and pull the plug at the Engine Ecm and ohm from the two wires at the Engine Ecm's plug thru the sensor to guarantee a connection.

Another words, find the 2 crankshaft sensor wires at the Engine Ecm and use the 2 probes on the meter and ohm thru the sensor from the Engine ECM's plug, this will guarantee connection(battery unhooked of course). *note- Plug should be removed from Engine Ecm for this test.
The loop is most likely a foil or braid "shield" that wraps the 2 wires to protect from electrical noise & distortion.

You will need the pinout for the ECM showing the location of which plug and what wire colors for testing at the Engine Ecm- I will try to dig and find it in my stuff when I have time unless someone wants to post it up that wold be awesome.

Last edited by Margate330; 03-08-22 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-08-22 | 09:46 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

For 2008 RX350, in the diag above, at ECM Wht 24 EV1-, blk 25 EV1+
Old 03-08-22 | 03:49 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Check out connector E7(pin 20 & 21).

Old 03-08-22 | 06:38 PM
sbcathey
Driver School Candidate

Ok I got the P0365 code to go away, but the symptom of start and die is still happening. I wiped down the throttle body. Could I have messed something up. Any idea where to look for a start and die immediately situation? I can keep it running for a while with 3k rev.
Old 03-09-22 | 07:16 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Tell us what you did to make code P0365 go away, curious...
Old 03-09-22 | 07:40 AM
Nocluelexu
Driver School Candidate

Check out connector E7(pin 20 & 21).

Thank you for everything, I ohm and it reads at 2.135 so if there is connection why doesn't my ecu read the crankshaft sensor btw I put a new use ecu cuz the old one isn't good
Old 03-09-22 | 08:17 AM
sbcathey
Driver School Candidate

The sensor itself was slightly misaligned, I pulled it out and replaced it. Im sure if I had reset the original sensor to sit completely flat it would have worked, but I just put the new one in.
Old 03-09-22 | 08:38 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Default Engine ECU Swap

Originally Posted by Nocluelexu
btw I put a new use ecu cuz the old one isn't good
Oh boy!
Did you "pair" the swapped Engine ECU?

These cannot be swapped without pairing to the immobilizer.
If your Red Security Light is still blinking after you insert the key you are "Immobilized"!

Tell us the whole story and leave out no details please.
Old 03-09-22 | 10:03 AM
Nocluelexu
Driver School Candidate

Oh boy!
Did you "pair" the swapped Engine ECU?

These cannot be swapped without pairing to the immobilizer.
If your Red Security Light is still blinking after you insert the key you are "Immobilized"!

Tell us the whole story and leave out no details please.
Yes I paid a professional to pair the ecu and change the vin also. Someone changed the alternator and as he was removing it he pulled the wires from the crankshaft sensor . So I had another person to put back the crank sensor after he failed to do so. (The first person) so the second person also failed so when I had time to work on it I didn't know if the wires had to be a certain way. But I changed the sensor I scanned it and it's not showing there is something wrong with the crank sensor I even unplug to see if a code will show but nothing I also did a live data to see if there was a response on the rpm but nothing and I'm lost.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor Wires Pulled Out