RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Programming a Different Style of Key Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-22, 09:00 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 772 Likes on 555 Posts
Default Programming a Different Style of Key Fob?

Upon acquiring my new RX, the thing that bothers me the most is the absolutely horrendous, flimsy key fob. My Highlander and ‘14 RX have awesome key fobs that feel very ergonomic and high quality, but the RX350 one being carried over from the 99-03 RX300 just feels flimsy and cheap, and they’re cracked too (seems to be a common issue on these).

I couldn’t find a lot of information about this, so I was wondering if anyone has used a fob from a 3rd gen RX or newer, or if anyone has done a similar swap on a Lexus or Toyota? I don’t want to get one of those ebay “upgrade” fobs, I have heard too many complaints about their quality. I’m willing to drop the 100+ on a proper OE fob with an uncut emergency key if possible.

This would be perfect:

TIA
Old 02-06-22, 01:01 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Say Matt, that'd be cool.........I took the easy way as you meantioned & got a couple of upgraded fobs......Really surprised that Toyota took the cheap way out as far as key fobs....Really a cheezy oem designed fob that Toyota used on a Lexus.......The upgraded aftermarket ones are reinforced w/ additional plastic vs the oem one......Since your there swap out the battery as well....
Old 02-06-22, 01:03 PM
MattRX
Racer

After constantly working on the RX for hours a day, I took a break to do some more research on the fobs.

Apparently this one is from a 2011-2017 Lexus CT200h

Old 02-06-22, 10:36 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

The key fob uses a specific radio frequency that is not the same for all Lexus cars. The FCC assigned RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) of HYQ12BBT. Any other key fob with a different FCC ID will not work as it uses a different radio frequency than your car.
Old 02-09-22, 10:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The key fob uses a specific radio frequency that is not the same for all Lexus cars. The FCC assigned RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) of HYQ12BBT. Any other key fob with a different FCC ID will not work as it uses a different radio frequency than your car.
Hi Dennis,
You seem to know about keys and I have some questions.
After reading thru many threads all I can say is I'm now more confused than ever. lol

Do all our Gen 2's use the same ignition key?
Also, is there a certain key type all our cars use?

Someone write a thesis and set the record straight for everyone about our keys, PLEASE!

I see key ads mention transponder this and that and "must use a 4C key..." for our cars, etc- so I can't make heads or tails what's legit info and from a reliable source what's going on! lol

I'm thinking about ordering one of these from 1010 keys on ebay and I like the design, what ya'll think?

Last edited by Margate330; 02-09-22 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-09-22, 10:43 PM
MattRX
Racer

It looks kind of "plasticy" to me, like the OEM one. I'm so tempted to just buy the CT200h one and maybe take the old chip/transponder try to do some soldering and wizardry to get it to work with the new buttons lol.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 11:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattRX
It looks kind of "plasticy" to me, like the OEM one. I'm so tempted to just buy the CT200h one and maybe take the old chip/transponder try to do some soldering and wizardry to get it to work with the new buttons lol.
Hell yeah!

Subscribed, lol
Let us know what you decide to do and hoping for a full report on progress and if successful.

PS- I'll go ahead and order the one in pic I posted above and do a review for everyone if someone will tell me it should work- as I've lost a lot of faith in ebay claims made by sellers.

Last edited by Margate330; 02-09-22 at 11:29 PM.
MattRX (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 08:32 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Dennis,
You seem to know about keys and I have some questions.
After reading thru many threads all I can say is I'm now more confused than ever. lol

Do all our Gen 2's use the same ignition key?
Also, is there a certain key type all our cars use?
OK guys, here is pretty much everything I know about the key fobs for our cars. I have some questions about compatibility on various years but it seems they may be exceptions as I have never read a post from a 2nd gen owner that has one of these "exceptions".

Here goes...

FCC ID HYQ12BBT is used on:
RX330 2004 - 2006
RX350 2007 - 2012
RX400H 2006 - 2008
RX450H 2010

starting with the 2010 model, a push button start was an option.
The key fob for push button start uses a different FCC ID.

Starting with the 2012 model, only push button start was offered.
For 2010 - 2015 push button start cars, the FCC ID is HYQ14ACX.

When you look at 3rd party keyfobs, you see the pushbutton style key fobs will say compatible for 2007 and up RX on some of the web sites. I am skeptical as to the 2007 - 2009 2nd gen RX having a pushbutton start. There is nothing in my 2008 Lexus service manual (written by Lexus, not Chilton or other) about pushbutton start.

In a thread started by another member, he talks about the RFID chip in the key being called T29, where the chip in the pushbutton start key fob is called T30. This member states that you can buy the T29 chips as he did that and tried to put it into a 3rd party key fob. but the key fob design wouldn't allow it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&goto=newpost

As for the metal key blade, I believe they are the same for all 2nd gen RX. The metal key blade is different between a master key and the valet key.

And that is pretty much everything I know about key fobs.

The following 3 users liked this post by DennisMik:
damon (02-18-22), Margate330 (02-10-22), MattRX (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 07:34 PM
MattRX
Racer

Thanks for the info Dennis, this motivates me to try and figure out a solution even more.
Old 02-18-22, 08:50 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dennis, Are you aware of anyone in the Plano Area that does reasonably cost Key Fob pairing with Techstream?
Old 02-18-22, 07:01 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by damon
Dennis, Are you aware of anyone in the Plano Area that does reasonably cost Key Fob pairing with Techstream?
I have not had to have a key programmed to my Lexus, so I cannot say anything with assuredness. It was over 5 years ago when I needed to have a key cut and programmed to my Nissan that I found a private locksmith company that would do that for a decent price. It was A1 Locksmith located at Parker and Alma in Plano. I provided the keys and he cut and programmed both them to the car for $60. I'm sure it would cost more today for the same car. Whether the price would have been the same for all makes of cars... I don't know. All I can say is call some independent locksmiths and see what they would charge.
Old 02-22-22, 08:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Default 1010 Keys

Hi, Matt.
I took a screen shot pic of that "newer style" key FOB and saved it to my laptop so I can zoom in good and I think you are correct.
Looks very "Plasticy" if thats a word. haha
They have one that looks the same in another listing that costs more money and I can't tell from zoomed in pics if it is the same or not, may be a little better quality but I don't know.
Anyway I got the standard style for our cars to try them out.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
OK guys, here is pretty much everything I know about the key fobs for our cars. I have some questions about compatibility on various years but it seems they may be exceptions as I have never read a post from a 2nd gen owner that has one of these "exceptions".

Here goes...

FCC ID HYQ12BBT is used on:
RX330 2004 - 2006
RX350 2007 - 2012
RX400H 2006 - 2008
RX450H 2010
Hi Dennis,
Ok, thanks to your work I was able to confirm and buy a new key with included FOB with the "guts" and correct transponder FCC ID.
It has the correct FCC ID so I will post a review when I get them from 1010 Keys on ebay.

Also, I need to find links on how to add another key and program the wireless FOB part so I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Car: 2004 RX330
Key: new key cut with included FOB wireless transponder
FCC ID: HYK12BBT
Sold by:1010keys, on ebay
Cost: $37.89

MattRX (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 09:41 PM
MattRX
Racer

I bought an OE-style cheap one off of Amazon for 10 bux because it was the only one that would ship free to my house in a day and the cost was low. I also know I wasn’t going to keep this for too too long as I want to try and figure out another solution.

Overall thoughts? The quality of the plastic is alright, it’s not stinky or waxy. However, what is lacking is the fitment. It’s too tight and doesn’t close properly, it also cracked where the key enters the body as well. I could have used a dremel to file it down, but I can’t be bothered as I don’t plan on keeping this for too long.

Definitely way better than having a fog duct-taped together with the key hanging off from the previous owner!
Old 02-22-22, 10:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I bought an OE-style cheap one off of Amazon for 10 bux because it was the only one that would ship free to my house in a day and the cost was low. I also know I wasn’t going to keep this for too too long as I want to try and figure out another solution.
Gosh, no offense Matt but I see what you're saying as looking at the pic you posted that fitment looks sucky.
I guess having a spare key is always better than a broken key but dang, I'm hoping for a little better fitment than that when mine gets here.
I'll post up pics when the mail comes and to compare.

Maybe they get the fob shells from all the same place or we will see!
Old 02-23-22, 01:46 AM
MattRX
Racer

It's a certified piece of crap! Lol. I think mine may be different as it has no "logo" on the back, just smooth plastic.

Quick Reply: Programming a Different Style of Key Fob?