RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Did you/will you get the TSIB#TC005-03 ECM Update
NO - Not Yet, but will on my next service
37.50%
NO - I will not get the ECM update
12.50%
YES - Noticeable Improvement
39.06%
YES - No Improvement
3.13%
YES - Can't Tell The Difference
7.81%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

04 RX330 ECM Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 03:55 PM
johnnieliu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 RX330 ECM Update

Did you get the ECM update? What were the results?
Old 10-07-03, 04:18 PM
johnnieliu
Driver

Last choice should read: YES - Can't Tell The Difference
Old 10-07-03, 09:54 PM
JRB
Pole Position

On our last service appointment they were going to do the update, but the service tech on duty that evening could not get it to take. I was encouraged to call back after they have an opportunity to speak with their daytime tech guy who apparently is more knowledgeable about it. If necessary they were going to contact Lexus to figure it out. Instead we are going to monitor the shifting performance and possibly get it done on our next service appt. The shifting does seem smoother than it was initially, so we'll wait and see.
Old 10-09-03, 03:50 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know the range of serial #'s (VIN #'s) that this TSB applies to?

At some point, the cars would have started coming from the factory with the fix already applied, so I'm wondering how many of us really need to ask for it.
Old 10-16-03, 05:01 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Question for those that have had the EMC update done, and have noticed an improvement. How long did it actually take, after the service was done, to notice an improvement in shifting?

Was it immediate, or did the transmission have to "re-learn" your driving style and, if so, how long did this take?

I'm having the update done today, and was curious to know since, after having spoken with various salesmen of seemingly different knowledge levels, I haven't been able to get a good idea exactly how long it takes the transmission to optimize shifting for a driver's driving style.
Old 10-19-03, 06:00 PM
stevech
Driver School Candidate

Well had my RX330 updated about a month ago, and it was good for about a week (better shifting, and seem to be a bit more powerful}. However since then the mileage has been terrible, and I haven't notice that much difference in the shifting ... perhaps it's the cold Canadian climate that may be affecting it.

I just hope my dealer did the ECM update correctly ...
Old 10-19-03, 08:13 PM
apwoodr
Rookie

I had my 1000 mile service yesterday and told them about my shifting problems. The service tech already knew about the update and said he would make the change.

I noticed an immediate difference in the shifting. Prior to the update, the car would hesitate between 2nd and 3rd gears (only during normal driving around 30 to 40 mph). Since the update, the shifts have been much quicker .
Old 10-19-03, 10:43 PM
Squid88
Driver School Candidate

I had my 1,700km service a couple weeks ago. I asked service about the ECM update. I showed him the TSB from this site. He told me that was for the US only, and didn't know if it applied to the Canadain model.

I told him about the shifting problems I was having (hesitation between 2nd and 3rd as well as some other quirks), and he said the car needed more time to learn the driving patterns. After 2,100 km's (yeah, I know, I was late) it had enough time to learn. He refused to do anything until the 8,000 km's service. He warned that any new software flash would be irreversible. So what. If Lexus issued new ECM software, it's for a reason. Why would I need to go back to the old one (duh!).

Apparently I'm the very first to complain about this. And the first to complain about a squeaky drivers seat too. I hate being a pioneer.

The poor gas mileage observations have me a little leary of new ECM, but the way the tranny is shifting, I want something done.
Old 10-22-03, 08:37 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up 330 ECM Update Successful!

Had the ECM update done yesterday during 5K service, along with the cat replacement as recalled by Lexus last spring. The difference is small but very significant. Shifts are quicker and considerably smoother and the "hunting" problem seems to be gone. I'll check mileage on a long road trip (700 mi) next week, doubt that the change in shifting program will make any difference, but I hope freeing up the exhaust and possibly improved fuel mapping may help rather disappointing mileage.

The change of cats has resulted in an improved exhaust note too, it's quieter, not quite as tinny, much more in keeping with the Lexus brand image. Color me pleased!

BTW, my service rep - whom I've had for several years, and has proven honest and knowledgeable, says the RX and the EX 3.3 engines should use premium fuel. The difference isn't in raw performance, but in the fuel map being optimized for premium. While acceleration may improve imperceptibly, anyone who has experienced hesitation or jerky shifting should try a few tanks of the expensive stuff. Lesser grades of fuel require the knock sensor to retard the timing slightly after throttle opening - which may result in a perceived hesitation when suddenly calling down to the engine room for a large application of power.
Old 10-27-03, 08:55 AM
Bandit
Driver School Candidate

Default Software Update

I just spoke to my local Lexus Service Dept and told him we were about to purchase a new RX 330 and what are they doing with the updates? He mentioned that the customers locally have found that if they keep the Overdrive on when going over 45 mph the vehicle seems to not be as sluggish. Does that seem accurate to anyone and if I buy a new vehicle should I definitely get the software upgrade? Also, how sluggish are we talking on this as I need my new 330 to get us up steep curvy roads on a daily basis?
Old 10-28-03, 09:11 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

I took my car into the dealership yesterday for my "1000 mile" service. I made sure that they performed the ECM update, and a few other C-best changes. Prior to the service, after the first tank of gas was used up, I put in 2 tank fulls of super unleaded 92 octane, and the sluggish shifts were improved. However, the abrupt transmission downshifts were still present. After the ECM update, the car now has smooth and responsive upshifts, and the abrubt downshifts seem to be gone. I need more miles before I can say that the abrupt downshifts are all gone.

While waiting for the car to be serviced, they gave me a RX330, premium plus only. It had 4000+ miles, and goodyear tires. My RX330 came with Michelins. I noticed immediately that the ride of the loner RX was "plushier" and had less road noise. I guess once the springs loosens up over time, you'll get a plushier ride. For a quiter ride, the Goodyears defintely have an advantage over the Michelins.

One last positive note, the round trip journey to the dealership was 315 miles, all freeway; average speed was 70 MPH; tire pressure 32 PSI. I bought the car in OR, and I live in Seattle. The trip computer registered 24.3 MPG for the trip.

JL
04 RX330 AWD, Premium Plus, NAV, RSES

Last edited by johnnieliu; 10-28-03 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-30-03, 06:15 PM
eyebike
Driver

Noticed the same changes to the engine noise when I had the RX in for the exhaust recall. Sounds better and more mellow. Interestingly too, my car seems to shift noticeably better too for the past 2 weeks. The ECM update wasnt done as the computers were down.
Old 11-05-03, 10:01 AM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

Default Had the ECM done last week

Had my RX330 in for the 1K service Friday morning--my first experience with Lexus service. WAY better than going to the Nissan dealer with my old Maxima.

While there, I had them do the ECM update and change a couple of C-BEST settings (my RX no longer beeps when I remotely lock/unlock, and the doors unlock when in park, and lock when in drive).

I decided to have the ECM update done even though I didn't think the shifting was THAT bad before. Mainly, I noticed that at relatively low speeds (20-30 MPH), the transmission would sort of a small jerk between a couple of the gears.

Since having the update and driving around for a few days, the transmission jerks almost never, and the overall shifting is much smoother and less noticeable.

HOWEVER, the jury is still out on its impact on vehicle mileage. I've had the RX for just over a month. Based on the information reported by the trip computer, my gas mileage was improving slightly with every tank, but the best I had gotten was 16.7 mph. After the ECM update, my mileage seems to be back down to where it was when I first bought the car... 15.3 MPG.

How long does it take for the engine to loosen up a bit and for mileage to get up to the 18+ MPG range? is the lower mileage after the ECM update just a function of the transmission relearning driving style after the update?
Old 11-06-03, 07:53 PM
Footloose
Driver School Candidate

I just had my RX 330 in for 10K service and asked the service consultant about updating the ECM. He said he would be glad to do it, but recommended not having it done if I was happy with the present shifting and performance. Since I am satisfied (no abrupt up- or down-shifts or hesitations as far as I can tell, and gas milage is better than I had hoped for) I opted not to have the update done at this time. He did say I can have the update done anytime between now and 80K miles (or 8 years). So I think I will keep watching info on the forum and make a decision later. He pointed out that once the upgrade is made it is not possible to go back to present settings.
Old 11-21-03, 08:35 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the update done with a 7,500 mile service yesterday.

The TSB does not specify a serial number range. Instead, it instructs the technician to check the version number of the existing software against the TSB, and to perform the update if the installed version is older.

My RX is number 29xxx, manufactured in July 2003, and it needed the update.

Before the update, the trans shifted very abruptly in bumper-to-bumper tollway traffic moving about 25 mph, but was fine otherwise. With the update, it's shifting very smoothly all the time. Even noticed some more intelligent shifting decisions when stepping on the gas to pull out of the toll plaza!

One note - I was crazy enough to wait at the dealer while the service was done. Loading the ECM update takes a LONG time... they told me it was taking 30-45 minutes to do that part of the job. Between the ECM update, the 7500 mile service, and a car wash, I was there over 2 1/2 hours. I never imagined it would take that long!

Quick Reply: 04 RX330 ECM Update