RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Struts and strut mounts or just struts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 02:47 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Struts and strut mounts or just struts?

Thinking about replacing the struts on my 06 330 AWD with 121k. Some cars I’ve replaced strut mounts and the old ones looked completely fine so just wondering how the rx mounts are. Did anyone change just the struts? I did front and rear struts and only front mounts in my GS and the old ones seemed fine. Rather not waste money if I don’t have to.
Old 02-22-22, 05:13 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

If you are going to install OEM mounts - do it, otherwise - don't (if your current mounts are OK).
Old 02-22-22, 05:40 PM
mjlife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm new to CL and I have a 2006 sc430. I wanted to know how much of a difference when replacing old lexis shocks with oem. Are they noticeably tighter/stiffer? Or, are coilovers a better purchase for a smooth ride?
Old 02-22-22, 05:43 PM
mjlife
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I'm new to club lexus and noticed you were talking about replacing old shocks with OEM shocks. I have a 2006 sc430 with 130000 miles and I'm looking at new shocks or coilovers. Do new oem shocks feel that much different from the worn shocks? are they worth the money and are they noticeably stiffer than the old shocks?

Thanks,
Old 02-22-22, 06:22 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mjlife
Hello, I'm new to club lexus and noticed you were talking about replacing old shocks with OEM shocks. I have a 2006 sc430 with 130000 miles and I'm looking at new shocks or coilovers. Do new oem shocks feel that much different from the worn shocks? are they worth the money and are they noticeably stiffer than the old shocks?

Thanks,
Welcome to CL! Hell yes. I had a gs430 so basically same car. Big difference when you replace with new oem shocks. Rides like a new car again. Unless your shocks aren’t that bad to begin with. I wouldn’t bother with coil overs, nothing rides as good as the oem shocks that the car was designed with. Thanks for hijacking my thread btw ;-)
Old 02-22-22, 06:23 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iMSQ
If you are going to install OEM mounts - do it, otherwise - don't (if your current mounts are OK).
Yea OEM. Hard to tell by looking at them that’s my problem.
Old 02-22-22, 09:29 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 830 Likes on 585 Posts

Usually the mounts last the life of the car and I only saw one go bad at the dealership I worked at (it was a relatively new Sienna too - a 2015). They have a sealed bearing probably like your GS, and the bearing itself is also able to be ordered separately if the rest of the mount is in good condition.

I feel as if there isn't a problem that causes the mount to eat itself up, it'll run for a VERY long time. I reused the mounts on my '14 RX, but on my Highlander I replaced them because the studs were heavily corroded. Present day me would have wire-wheeled the studs and reused them, but you live and learn.
Old 02-23-22, 04:22 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattRX
Usually the mounts last the life of the car and I only saw one go bad at the dealership I worked at (it was a relatively new Sienna too - a 2015). They have a sealed bearing probably like your GS, and the bearing itself is also able to be ordered separately if the rest of the mount is in good condition.

I feel as if there isn't a problem that causes the mount to eat itself up, it'll run for a VERY long time. I reused the mounts on my '14 RX, but on my Highlander I replaced them because the studs were heavily corroded. Present day me would have wire-wheeled the studs and reused them, but you live and learn.
I had no idea thanks! Deff not ordering the mounts then. It was a waste when I changed them on my GS the old ones looked fine but I did it anyway for precaution since my mechanic recommended it.
Old 02-23-22, 07:04 PM
mjlife
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about the high jacking, i'm still figuring out how to navigate this site. I do very much appreciate your thoughts on the oem shocks. I didn't want to spend a lot of money and have the shocks still too soft and bumpy over the small stuff. I love the smoothness of the lexus, just wanted it to feel a little more stuck to the ground over the bumps. Probably new shocks and thicker sway bars should give me what I'm looking for. Thanks again for your opinion/experience.
Old 02-24-22, 11:08 AM
MattRX
Racer

TRW has a smoking deal on shocks on Rockauto right now for about 40 ea. The front right wasn’t in stock so I got it for cheap on Autobarn and saved a ton.

It’s hard to have good and cheap at the same time, especially with the labour. I would go with the 2010-2015 Lexus RX350 front sway bar and an Ultra-Racing rear sway bar or the new rear sway bar Addco is making for the 2004-2009 RX. I have the Addco rear bar and a 2015 RX350 front sway bar on my Highlander and that is a setup which is hard to beat. Smooth ride with little body roll and no understeer. The stock sway bar end links didn’t fit so I had to use 2007-2009 Lexus ES350 links.

Get ready to fork out the cash to install the front bar though if you don’t DIY it. It took me 8 hrs to get it in the car. Gotta unbolt the steering rack and disconnect a lot of other parts.
Old 02-25-22, 05:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Plz, warning to everyone.

KYB strut mounts and bearings are inferior junk compared to oem.
Don't care if anyone says they are made in same factory as the ones used by Lexus and sent me pics for proof- they are in no way similar quality.

The bearings compared side by side are obvious junk and feel crusty and cheap when spinning, obvious costs were cut to get price down.
My original mounts never made a sound at 150k miles however my KYB mounts make noise sometimes and are NEW. lol

Not trying to be hard on KYB but it is not oem quality- closer to cheap aftermarket or at least not much better than anything else out there, and these are just my opinion.
Old 02-25-22, 09:37 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Margate330
Plz, warning to everyone.

KYB strut mounts and bearings are inferior junk compared to oem.
Don't care if anyone says they are made in same factory as the ones used by Lexus and sent me pics for proof- they are in no way similar quality.

The bearings compared side by side are obvious junk and feel crusty and cheap when spinning, obvious costs were cut to get price down.
My original mounts never made a sound at 150k miles however my KYB mounts make noise sometimes and are NEW. lol

Not trying to be hard on KYB but it is not oem quality- closer to cheap aftermarket or at least not much better than anything else out there, and these are just my opinion.
Yup. There isn’t really quality that is as good as OEM. I hate when people say get KYB it’s the same as stock. Anytime I change a car to non stock especially a Lexus it never rides as good.
Old 02-26-22, 11:47 AM
MattRX
Racer

The KYB mounts I got for my Highlander were cheap crap compared to OEM and they have that waxy plastic smell them too. They're still working three years later but I regret throwing out my old mounts. The struts however, are fantastic quality, made in Japan pieces for an affordable price.
Old 02-28-22, 04:23 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Just to update for any future readers. The old mounts were fine. Reused them. Only thing I should’ve gotten was the rear bellows or black rubber thing that covers the shock from elements since the bottoms was all torn up since those has bottomed out. Otherwise all was good just changing the 4 struts only
Old 04-12-23, 09:45 AM
GB42
6th Gear

Hi: Also own 2006 sc430 with 45k mi, all 4 shocks are leaking, what solution did you find and how are they working?
Thanks
gb42@verizon.net

Quick Reply: Struts and strut mounts or just struts?