RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

P0172 and P0175 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 02:10 PM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Default P0172 and P0175 Codes

Hi All, my 2008 Lexus RX350 with about 83,000 miles has been trouble-free from new. Today the check engine light came on, along with the VSC OFF and SLIP ON lights. I checked engine codes and came up with 2: P0172 System too rich bank 1 and P0175 System too rich bank 2. About a week ago, for purely preventative maintenance, I added a bottle of Seafoam High Mileage to a full tank of gas. I've driven it about 100 miles since and now the check engine light is on. I've read many postings of possible causes, primarily MAP sensor issues, but I'm wondering whether or not it could be related to the Seafoam treatment. Has anyone else had similar issues? I'm thinking that I may just finish the tank of gas with the Seafoam and then put in a fresh tank of gas only, clear the codes, and see what happens. Thanks for your help. Bob
Old 02-28-22, 09:33 AM
uksparky
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

seems strange i have used sea foam with no problems ...clear codes and run fuel low and refill... if check engine light comes back with fresh gas try this..Sometimes the Air Flow Sensor and the sensing wire get covered with dirt, dust, or oil residue, which can also set a P0172. Cleaning the sensor might hold off problems for a while, but eventually, the MAF sensor should be replaced. Always make sure the Air Filter and its enclosure are dirt-, dust-, and oil-free. If you clean and replace the filter and its enclosure as needed, you will prevent the new MAF from failing.
Old 03-01-22, 11:00 AM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by uksparky
seems strange i have used sea foam with no problems ...clear codes and run fuel low and refill... if check engine light comes back with fresh gas try this..Sometimes the Air Flow Sensor and the sensing wire get covered with dirt, dust, or oil residue, which can also set a P0172. Cleaning the sensor might hold off problems for a while, but eventually, the MAF sensor should be replaced. Always make sure the Air Filter and its enclosure are dirt-, dust-, and oil-free. If you clean and replace the filter and its enclosure as needed, you will prevent the new MAF from failing.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I will do the first part initially as I think that is the best course of action. I previously cleaned the MAF sensor and religiously replace the air filter so I’m not thinking those are defective but I’ll check once I do the first part . Here’s the response I received from Seafoam.

Sorry to hear about your problem Robert. Your Lexus has approx. a 19-20 gallon fuel tank, we recommend using 1 ounce per gallon of gasoline. You are under that ratio. The Sea Foam in your tank most likely cleaned your fuel system and your computer hasn't had enough time to compensate for clean parts again. I would recommend, having your fuel trims reset with a capable scan tool. If the light comes back on and still setting those codes, it should be properly diagnosed by a ASE Certified Auto Technician. Hope this helps. Thank you for choosing Sea Foam Products.

I’ll have to see if my scanner will let me adjust the fuel trims. I cleared the codes but they came back immediately upon restarting. Someone mentioned that I should disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to clear the codes but I’m not convinced that result will be different from using the scanner’s clear code button.
Old 03-01-22, 02:22 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, it's either a coincidence or, and this is just a guess, the Seafoam did indeed clean up some carbon deposits and they found their way to an Oxygen Sensor.
I think it the issue will go away on its own.

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-30-22)
Old 03-01-22, 04:58 PM
uksparky
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

So when did you clean the MAF ..bet thats your problem, as the code came right back... the seafoam wouldn't cause that...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19479703356...4AAOSwuoph~cbQ

Last edited by uksparky; 03-01-22 at 05:03 PM.
Margate330 (05-30-22)
Old 03-02-22, 09:35 AM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

About a year ago when I replaced the water pump, coils and plugs with Lexus parts. Yesterday I had knee replacement surgery so the Lexus won't be driven for the next 6 weeks or so. I'll clean the MAF sensor again before driving the car just to be sure. Thanks for your help. I'll update this post when I figure out what happened.
Juiching (06-13-24)
Old 05-26-22, 12:22 PM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Sorry for the delay in responding to everyone who wrote back. The RX sat for about 6 weeks while my knee was healing. Before driving it, I disconnected the battery for an hour or so. That cleared the codes and since then, they have never come back. So obviously the Seafoam probably caused the initial codes, but since I've now used that tankful with Seafoam in it and refilled with a fresh tank of gasoline, all is well. Not sure if the Seafoam did any good in the tank. I'm thinking I might try it in the oil before changing it. Anybody out there with any experience doing this - good or bad?
Old 05-28-22, 03:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebbor
Sorry for the delay in responding to everyone who wrote back. The RX sat for about 6 weeks while my knee was healing. Before driving it, I disconnected the battery for an hour or so. That cleared the codes and since then, they have never come back. So obviously the Seafoam probably caused the initial codes, but since I've now used that tankful with Seafoam in it and refilled with a fresh tank of gasoline, all is well. Not sure if the Seafoam did any good in the tank. I'm thinking I might try it in the oil before changing it. Anybody out there with any experience doing this - good or bad?
Hi trebbor, glad you are healing up, did you have knee surgery? my neighbor just had knee surgery and I saw him suffer for a couple months, very painful.

Anyway, I'm big fan of Seafoam oil treatment and the Seafoam Intake treatment.
I dump in the whole bottle of seafoam oil treanment 100 miles or less before my oil change and it has worked wonders for lifter ticks and more.

Don't wanna tell anyone wrong but I think the Seafoam intake treatment might have thrown a code if I remember until I smoked it all out then cleared code with scanner.
Old 05-29-22, 09:53 AM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Thanks for the advice on adding the Seafoam to the oil. I still have a bottle of it so will do so in the next few days since I'm almost ready to change the oil. With COVID my driving has been reduced considerably so I'll be changing the oil after 2,000 miles and 8 months. I've read that paper based oil filters can deteriorate over time even if the car isn't driven, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've had both knees replaced twice. First, the surgeons did partial knee replacements. Those didn't last for more than 4 years They've now done revision surgery on both knees, removing the partial knee replacements and putting in full knee replacements. I sure hope that's the end of it as each recovery took about the same amount of time and pain. The current one is going very well with minimal pain and good mobility. Thanks for asking.
Margate330 (05-30-22)
Old 05-29-22, 02:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

The Seafoam engine oil treatment and the Seafoam intake treatment is what let me keep my car because I was at wits end with it and ready to trade it in.
Pm me if you wanna hear whole story, but short version for here is this stuff worked for me.

Here's a fun video I picked for ya showing how it's done(seafoam intake treatment), I just followed the directions on the can to spec.
>> AND FOR EXTRA FUN IT CAN SCARE THE NEIGHBORS WITH CLOUDS OF SMOKE AS ADDED BONUS haha

Old 05-31-22, 10:02 AM
Trebbor
Pit Crew

Good to hear that the Seafoam treatment worked for you. I'll definitely be giving it a try in the oil. Loved the video. I saw a similar one where a lawnmower was the target. That got me to do my 25 year old mower. As in both videos, white smoke was everywhere. Certainly attracted the attention of the neighbors. Although the lawnmower runs smoother, it still is hard to start but then, it's a 25 year old.