RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

kill switch (any Ideas)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 11:07 AM
dennisofne
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default kill switch (any Ideas)

Has anyone installed a kill switch on their R330? Is there any good tutorial on how to do this?
Old 03-29-22, 09:32 AM
Luv07RX350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like this for the 07 as well. I have a remote starter in mine, which could come out if needed. I need to work on this anyway, as I think it is contributing to my (likely parasitic) battery problem.
Old 03-30-22, 12:52 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 251 Posts

There are many different ways you could do it. One way is to kill the power to the fuel injectors so that the injectors will not operate. Remove the 10 amp INJ fuse that is under the hood, plug in a fuse extender and put a switch in one of the fuse extender wires. Since this fuse is under the hood, the challenge is to run the wires for the switch into the cabin so you don't have to be opening the hood.

The type of fuse that Lexus uses is "mini atm-lp". The lp stands for low profile, but that doesn't matter for the extender.

Code:
                                          INJ 10A
                                           fuse
╔══════╗ ╔═══╦══╗  fuse extender  ╔════╗ ╔═══╦══╗
║ fuse ║ ╚═══╣  ╠═════════════════╣fuse║ ╚═══╣  ║
║holder║ ╔═══╣  ╠══════╗  ╔═══════╣plug║ ╔═══╣  ║
╚══════╝ ╚═══╩══╝      ║  ║       ╚════╝ ╚═══╩══╝
                       ║  ║
                       ║  ║
                       ║  ║
                     ╔═╩══╩═╗
                     ║ kill ║
                     ║switch║
                     ╚══════╝

fuse extender --

Last edited by DennisMik; 03-30-22 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MattRX (03-30-22)
Old 03-30-22, 03:35 PM
dennisofne
Rookie

Thank you. I will find a safe hiding place within reach. Any ideas?
Old 03-30-22, 04:52 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Again, lots of possibilities. The bottom edge of the dash, buy a Lexus switch and use one of the empty switch spaces, in the center console, in the glove box area, the bottom edge of the front seat are are a few places. I'll let you make that decision.
Old 03-31-22, 01:49 AM
dennisofne
Rookie

Thanks again. I like the idea of buying a Lexus switch and installing it in an empty switch space. Do you have a link, or do I just go to the dealer? From one Dennis to another. I have an off-topic question. How do I close a question? as SOLVED.
Old 03-31-22, 03:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

A simple way would be to put a top post battery cut off switch on. This is similar to one i have used in the past

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-31-22, 07:33 AM
dennisofne
Rookie

Thanks, great ideas but I am looking for something more assessable. I want to use it when I go shopping in a large mall parking lot.
Old 03-31-22, 02:44 PM
dennisofne
Rookie

After giving it great thought, I have decided to use a 12v plug and socket mounted in my center console. Many cars today come with a 120v inverter installed so having one in the center console would draw little attention. The socket would be wired to the injectors. The plug would act as the connection. When I felt the need to use the kill switch I would unplug it and carry it in my pocket. The wife could place it in her purse. I believe the plug would stay in the socket 80% of the time. A couple of photos to give you an idea of what I would use. Thanks for all your input great Minds Work in similar
ways.

Old 03-31-22, 05:03 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

I haven't done one in a very long time as it's almost gone out of fashion but a thing to do in the late 90's up to the mid 2000's was to wire a "starter kill" with your aftermarket alarm or remote start. Had this on an older ES300 with viper remote start. Unless the alarm or remote start system was disarmed, even with key you could not start the vehicle.

Unfortunately, most people kept their alarm remote with their keys so a trained thief would know to disarm it if they saw a remote. Also, this was only good if the alarm system properly worked, but if you know where the relay is, you can bypass it to get you by.
Old 04-01-22, 01:32 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by dennisofne
After giving it great thought, I have decided to use a 12v plug and socket mounted in my center console. Many cars today come with a 120v inverter installed so having one in the center console would draw little attention. The socket would be wired to the injectors. The plug would act as the connection. When I felt the need to use the kill switch I would unplug it and carry it in my pocket. The wife could place it in her purse. I believe the plug would stay in the socket 80% of the time. A couple of photos to give you an idea of what I would use. Thanks for all your input great Minds Work in similar
ways.
I like that idea. In order to make a smaller, easier to work with plug, I would buy a 2 wire extension cord that has the plug on an angle and cut the plug off of it and use that.

This one is white, but they do come in black. Black ones are hard to find in a store.

Old 05-03-22, 11:17 AM
dennisofne
Rookie

Thanks. My thought was to install the receptacle onto the car, in my case, it would fit nicely in the center console and wire it so the car would only start with a plug inserted. Whenever I left the car I could activate the kill switch by removing the plug. So the smaller the plug the better as I would carry it in my pocket. Something like a lamp plug.