RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

LCA replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 10:16 PM
Ssijosh
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LCA replacement advice

Hi all . Just joined the group. Struggling to navigate the site as I’m a not a tech guy but here we go . Looking to replace the lca’s on the wife’s 07 awd rx350 this weekend. I’ve been wrenching a bit in the backyard for a few years now . I’ve done the the rear struts and axle carriers , breaks etc … all basic stuff and everything has gone well. Any advice on my next task ? I’ll start with the passenger side first as it’s the one that actually needs attention and it’s the easier side to do . Not a lot of utube vids on this job and that’s usually my go to so I figured I’d look for advice here . Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-22, 10:41 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 187 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ssijosh
Hi all . Just joined the group. Struggling to navigate the site ...
It's really easy:

Hint: post #32
The following users liked this post:
daddiojigg (04-10-22)
Old 04-09-22, 12:31 AM
Ssijosh
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replying to my own question

I had high hopes of some solid advice on my question but I think that because I didn’t start my post with the actual question, it was overlooked. To update anyone who gives a crap. I replaced them without any serious problems. I was questioning what order to attach the new arm in . I tried ball joint first and found it difficult to line up the bolt for the bushing so then I tried it in reverse and did have some struggles to get the ball joint to align with the knuckle but with some elbow grease, I made it happen. That sort of thing is exactly what I was looking for advice for . But I still have faith that this is a good group and I’ll try to word my questions better in the future to get more attention. Another question I had is when removing the motor mount on the R side is it necessary to remove the belt and pulley? I found that you don’t actually have to as long as you are willing to fight the mount back in . Raising the motor to its limit( without compromising a/c lines etc) helped and then the use of two pry bars simultaneously to get it up AND over worked well for me . Shop bills for 10-11 hours and I did it 5.5 with primitive tools and lack of experience so I’m calling it a win . I’m writing this in detail just in case someone reading is looking for the same tips I was . Also , the tuning fork to break the ball joint has a “ push side “ ( that’s what I’m calling it lol) . Basically the forks themselves have a slight pitch or angle on one side and the other side is essentially flat . You want the angle side facing downward . It puts more of the force on the joint as opposed to the knuckle. I was hammering it for a while and after I flipped it I got it first hit . Hope any of this helps .
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 06:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssijosh
I had high hopes of some solid advice on my question but I think that because I didn’t start my post with the actual question, it was overlooked. To update anyone who gives a crap. I replaced them without any serious problems. I was questioning what order to attach the new arm in . I tried ball joint first and found it difficult to line up the bolt for the bushing so then I tried it in reverse and did have some struggles to get the ball joint to align with the knuckle but with some elbow grease, I made it happen. That sort of thing is exactly what I was looking for advice for . But I still have faith that this is a good group and I’ll try to word my questions better in the future to get more attention. Another question I had is when removing the motor mount on the R side is it necessary to remove the belt and pulley? I found that you don’t actually have to as long as you are willing to fight the mount back in . Raising the motor to its limit( without compromising a/c lines etc) helped and then the use of two pry bars simultaneously to get it up AND over worked well for me . Shop bills for 10-11 hours and I did it 5.5 with primitive tools and lack of experience so I’m calling it a win . I’m writing this in detail just in case someone reading is looking for the same tips I was . Also , the tuning fork to break the ball joint has a “ push side “ ( that’s what I’m calling it lol) . Basically the forks themselves have a slight pitch or angle on one side and the other side is essentially flat . You want the angle side facing downward . It puts more of the force on the joint as opposed to the knuckle. I was hammering it for a while and after I flipped it I got it first hit . Hope any of this helps .
Hi ssijosh, thank you for posting your fix.

It's nice when people help but not everyone is here everyday or may catch us on a day where we don't have time to dig up pics and threads but still wishing we can help.
Also, many of us have helped other members already with the LCA's with pics and info but they may be hard to find the info because new members typically give lousy titles to their thread making it harder for the next person to find it.

I put up several pics to help another member on their thread when I did my LCA's and would've posted a link for you if I could find that thread. lol

I've only been here a couple years but I see more success for new members getting help when they post to an existing relevant thread with more specific questions.
Old 04-10-22, 11:27 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 187 Posts

Step 1: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...2004-2009-164/
Step 2: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ate-links.html
Step 3: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post8307968 (post #32)
Step 4 (final): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ts-w-pics.html - all about replacing LCA/LCA bushings/ball joints with pics, videos, tools, advices, etc.