RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please help, tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 07:42 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please help, tranny swap

2008 rx 350 AWD. Swapping Transmissions. New one is up and on shaft. I can bolt almost the entire tranny to engine, but the top of the transfer case does not want to set in.

I've got car on jack stands. 3 Jack's and a tranny jack. And a engine support up top. I've used all jacks to tilt, raise, and lower every which way possible. I've put a chain\bolt to top of block and tried raising different spots while using jacks down below. I've tried all this w subframe off, and I currently have subframe on thinking maybe if it sat in it's "original" position it'd settle in.

I'm honestly out of ideas except to take it all out and start again. And the torque converter is free and spins nicely.

Any help is appreciated. I've been on this after work for the last 5 days
Old 04-10-22, 12:43 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

No idears? I bought bottle jacks to put direct pressure and did gain a little headway. Very little, but it's encouraging
Old 04-10-22, 01:43 PM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

You may be the first one on here to do tranny swap on the 2rx. Check out toyotanation to see if anyone has done it on their highlanders
Old 04-10-22, 02:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Do you have the factory service manual? I personally have not tried installing a transmission into a vehicle with the engine in car for a long time way too difficult, unless it is not possible to put everything in as one assembly. Again what does the service manual say to do?
Old 04-10-22, 03:37 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

I don't have a service manual.

It's all lined up. Transfer case shaft is in and lined up. But something is hitting. When I barely pry it you can hear it knock on something when it sets back. But all my damn bolts are lined, as well as the dowel pins.
Old 04-10-22, 03:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Is the torque converter seated 100%? Just because it rotates doesn't mean it is. Strongly recommend you get the FSM and follow it.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/

Dumb question have you tried rotating the engine, spines where the axles go into etc. slightly
Old 04-10-22, 06:52 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,019 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikRX350
I don't have a service manual.

It's all lined up. Transfer case shaft is in and lined up. But something is hitting. When I barely pry it you can hear it knock on something when it sets back. But all my damn bolts are lined, as well as the dowel pins.
Sounds like a friggin nghtmare.
I been there many years ago trying to save money on my back fighting to get my transimssion in place, sucks bad. lol

I like Lex2k's idea of getting those splines to turn and maybe if you have a helper look into it from the other side while you maneuver so you can get some eyes back there.
Old 04-10-22, 06:58 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Is the torque converter seated 100%? Just because it rotates doesn't mean it is. Strongly recommend you get the FSM and follow it.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/

Dumb question have you tried rotating the engine, spines where the axles go into etc. slightly
I'm towing it to the shop I work at. The way everything is set up on this car it will be easier on a lift than jack stands and floor jacks. I did rotate crank and driveshaft. Pretty dang sure converter is completely seated.

Gonna lift her up and go at her where all my tools are located and not in a cramped garage. It seems to be the very top right where the transfer case and tranny meet that is hanging up somehow. And as much as I shook, beat, pried, and jacked up and down every which way I'm pretty sure it would have set in. Wish me luck
Old 04-10-22, 07:00 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

The helpers are a no go. The ex (who's car it is) helps all of 5 minutes and does that girl idk\im confused walk and look about the car until something takes her away. Another set of eyes would of been so damn helpful
Old 04-10-22, 07:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Another set of eyes would of been so damn helpful
Post a bunch of pictures.
Old 04-13-22, 03:08 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

The helpers are a no go. The ex (who's car it is) helps all of 5 minutes and does that girl idk\im confused walk and look about the car until something takes her away. Another set of eyes would of been so damn helpful
Viola, It kinda sounds like it's her problem. haha

Maybe you can do a search for good reviews for a tranny shop and let her figure it out and adios.
Old 04-14-22, 08:01 AM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Margate330
Viola, It kinda sounds like it's her problem. haha

Maybe you can do a search for good reviews for a tranny shop and let her figure it out and adios.
Ohhhh trust me I'd love to! But I've done so dang much work on this vehicle that I feel the need to continue so you know. That's honestly the truth. From being told the engine needed to be removed to change a control arm bushing, the plugs in the back, to the weird *** belt tensioner that is behind the alternator if I remember right, oh and the drive line that I had laying across my body like some weird giant nunchuks cause it was my first 3 piece drive line. A lot of first on this B.

So I'm bringing her to my new job tomorrow where I can get her on a proper lift with my proper tools and see what's up. I can take pics if anyone cares to see the biggest pains.
Old 04-14-22, 04:04 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I can take pics if anyone cares to see the biggest pains.
Pics are fun.

Post them up if you like and share your journey, curious to see what you find out on why it wouldn't go in.
Old 04-16-22, 11:40 PM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Margate330
Pics are fun.

Post them up if you like and share your journey, curious to see what you find out on why it wouldn't go in.
Much much easier with the assist of a lift. I'm not quite done but tranny is in and fully seated. All I have is wiring harness\plugs and put all the intake and battery assemblies back in.

The transfer case was holding me up. The t-case has a bracket that attaches it to the block and then it has about 5 or 6 studs that go through the tranny and you remove the nuts.

I guess without the subframe to support it all, and all the jostling from removal it was just a bit out of alignment? What I did was remove the first section of drive line (gonna lose gear oil), and the bracket of 4 or 6 bolts (can't remember exactly, will really try to get pics). Then with tranny backed off the block a bit, attached the t case and snugged it up, then attached tranny to block. Getting the t case bracket then was a pain, but much easier to handle than trying to manipulate all at same time.

I used an engine support that goes across engine bay and sits on the edge of inner hood. Threw a few bolts in the block attached a few chains and removed entire subframe. You to not only undo the 3 mounts, but the sway bar from subframe (either by removing both bushing brackets and releasing subframe, or removing the nuts from bottom of each sway bar link and drop subframe w swaybar attached), and the 2 bolts that bracket the rack and pinion securely to subframe (one each side). Then there is 4 subframe bolts that go through a thin metal bracket, which has 3 small nuts\bolts each that attach to frame. The big subframe bolt goes through the bracket which holds it up when you snug it up, and the 3 smaller bolts are just added support n stability. Then remove any small lines attached to subframe (passenger and front I believe). Subframe should drop now. Then tranny removal.

Sorry for **** writeup. I've had very little sleep as I only had today to do this (got lucky and found a 2 hour window to finish tomorrow, but the big parts done and I was just gonna tow her home and finish at home otherwise). That's why I forgot to do pics.

I've only been doing tranny's for about a month now (never even dropped one before that), and I don't recommend this one for beginners. Dropping the subframe is a whole nother process compared to most transmissions. Gotta loosen mounts, take out CV axles, drive line, t case, entire intake and battery area which includes harness. It's just a lot more than tranny mount, harness, torture converter, bell housing. But def doable. Just my inexperience held me up when it comes down to it.
The following users liked this post:
MickyT (04-29-22)