RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power steering rack isn't tightly bolted in

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 02:04 PM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering rack isn't tightly bolted in

Recently had power steering pump, both lines, rack and pinion, and tie rods replaced. Took it to get it aligned today and the guys said the rack isn't tightly bolted in and they couldn't do the alignment. Me and my hubby were going to tackle this in about an hour. Seeing if there were any tips or tricks to help us get this done quickly and efficiently?
Also, my steering is still pretty whiny at start, and until you get going at full lock. We were thinking air in the line? Also thinking that maybe the kid we got to replace everything could have done something wrong too (especially since he clearly doesnt know how to tighten bolts). If anyone has information or another thread I can peek at, im all ears!
05 lexus rx 330
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 06:40 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Have fun.

When you replace the rack or the pump, you have to bleed the air out of the hydraulic system. This is done by starting the engine so the pump is running and then turning the steering wheel from lock to lock several times.

You will also get the whining sound if the wrong power steering fluid is used. The correct fluid is Dexron III (or newer) automatic transmission fluid. If the wrong stuff was used, you will have to flush out the incorrect fluid and fill with Dexron.
Old 05-23-22, 06:48 PM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Have fun.

When you replace the rack or the pump, you have to bleed the air out of the hydraulic system. This is done by starting the engine so the pump is running and then turning the steering wheel from lock to lock several times.

You will also get the whining sound if the wrong power steering fluid is used. The correct fluid is Dexron III (or newer) automatic transmission fluid. If the wrong stuff was used, you will have to flush out the incorrect fluid and fill with Dexron.
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 05-23-22, 06:49 PM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

Default Update:

The bolts holding the rack on were tight, so now we are thinking something is wrong with the rack itself (maybe faulty?) Or the tie rods? Something is clicking when you turn steering from center to right and back to center. Not moving it more than an inch or so.
​​​​​​​🤦🤦🤦🤷🤷
Old 05-23-22, 07:06 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Gapsky412
Took it to get it aligned today and the guys said the rack isn't tightly bolted in and they couldn't do the alignment.
I'd avoid these people in the future and get alignments elsewhere. They weren't very helpful (or knowledgeable).
I suggest you take it to another shop that does alignments and knows how to check the front-end parts properly.

Who installed the rack?
Old 05-23-22, 07:07 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 252 Posts

Is that click only one time or does ti happen with every rotation of the steering wheel? I would look closely at the tie rods for hitting on something.
Old 05-23-22, 07:19 PM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

Originally Posted by spinellib
I'd avoid these people in the future and get alignments elsewhere. They weren't very helpful (or knowledgeable).
I suggest you take it to another shop that does alignments and knows how to check the front-end parts properly.

Who installed the rack?
We went to a reputable place for alignment, but will look around.
Toyota mechanic did all the replacements
Old 05-23-22, 07:22 PM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Is that click only one time or does ti happen with every rotation of the steering wheel? I would look closely at the tie rods for hitting on something.
My hubby got under there. Its every time I move the wheel from center about 2 inches (not even at full turn) while in park. He said he could see nothing, but sounded like it was coming from the rack.
Old 05-23-22, 07:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Gapsky412
Recently had power steering pump, both lines, rack and pinion, and tie rods replaced. Took it to get it aligned today and the guys said the rack isn't tightly bolted in and they couldn't do the alignment. Me and my hubby were going to tackle this in about an hour. Seeing if there were any tips or tricks to help us get this done quickly and efficiently?
Also, my steering is still pretty whiny at start, and until you get going at full lock. We were thinking air in the line? Also thinking that maybe the kid we got to replace everything could have done something wrong too (especially since he clearly doesnt know how to tighten bolts). If anyone has information or another thread I can peek at, im all ears!
05 lexus rx 330
Thanks!
Thank you for using a proper title in your thread and a thoughtful description so others can find it later when they need it.
I see you are a new member, please let us know if you get it fixed and how it goes.
Old 05-23-22, 07:48 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

I would jack up the front (both wheels off the ground) and remove both wheels to get a good look at what's going on when you
move the steering wheel back and forth.
Old 05-23-22, 08:23 PM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
Thank you for using a proper title in your thread and a thoughtful description so others can find it later when they need it.
I see you are a new member, please let us know if you get it fixed and how it goes.
I appreciate that ☺
Old 05-23-22, 08:28 PM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

I would jack up the front (both wheels off the ground) and remove both wheels to get a good look at what's going on when you
We have another appointment tomorrow, following another appointment at mechanics. All I can do at this point is hope! I love my rx and miss driving it!
Thank you for the advice!
Old 05-27-22, 05:10 AM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

Default Update

Got the alignment, belt was loose. Whining is much much better, but still sounds like the PS pump is working hard when going slow/pulling out. Still have the click if i turn wheel to fast. Going to have inner tie rod replaced at some point next week. Mechanic said this came with the new rack and may be faulty. Fingers crossed and ty for all the help!
Old 05-27-22, 05:14 AM
Gapsky412
10th Gear

When we had front tires off the ground there was no whine or click. It was like butter turning the wheel. As soon as theres load on them it begins again. Much better after alignment, but def not as good as it is off the ground
Old 05-27-22, 06:09 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Was the rack a rebuild or new or used?
I'm wondering if the rack is a rebuilt lemon.

Quick Reply: Power steering rack isn't tightly bolted in