RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Radio + CD changer issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-22 | 02:14 PM
OrenLed
7th Gear

Default Radio + CD changer issues

Hey, I've been having issues with the radio and CD changer in my RX 350 (2007). When I turn on the car, everything turns on and seems to be working fine. However:
* No sound is coming out
* When I try to scan for stations, it doesn't find any
* CD player shows the 6 CDs I have in, but doesn't let me choose between them or eject
* When my phone is connected via Bluetooth I can hear the conversation in the left speaker

I spent the last 3 hours taking half of the car apart and finally managed to get to the amplifier. It looks fine. When I disconenct it, I can no longer hear anything during phone call. when I connect it back, I can (but the radio and CD are still acting up).
Do you think it's the amplifier, or the radio+CD unit? Anything else I should try?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-28-22)
Old 05-28-22 | 03:30 PM
OrenLed
7th Gear

Default diagnostics

Here's an image from the diagnostics screen

Old 05-28-22 | 03:54 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to club lexus.

Sorry I'm not much help cuz I don't know, just here to see what ya find out.
My cd player was eating cd's and not giving them back so I got mad and yanked everything out and went aftermarket.
Old 05-28-22 | 04:36 PM
OrenLed
7th Gear

Default Aftermarket

Thanks! I'll update once I learn more. Now that I know I can get to the amplifier and put everything back without endangering my marriage I can finally have some progress.

Any recommendations or info on aftermarket products? I'm pretty sure that's the next step here.
Old 05-28-22 | 07:08 PM
DennisMik
Racer

I would say that the amplifier is working fine, it is the head unit in the dash. The amplifier has nothing to do with selecting CDs or scanning for radio stations.
Old 05-28-22 | 07:48 PM
OrenLed
7th Gear

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I would say that the amplifier is working fine, it is the head unit in the dash. The amplifier has nothing to do with selecting CDs or scanning for radio stations.
Thanks, that's what I think. The funny thing is that I took the car to the dealership a when it started and they said they looked into it and it's probably the amp . They usually know what htey're doing, so it's a bit surprising. Well, I guess that's why it's better to learn how to figure these things out yourself.
Old 05-28-22 | 10:05 PM
OrenLed
7th Gear

Perhaps a silly question, but if I'm looking for a (used) OEM unit, does it need to say "Mark Levinson Premium Sound System" like my current one, or any 86120 unit should work?
I see that the connectors for this unit, for example -https://www.ebay.com/itm/165030754639 and different than these https://www.ebay.com/itm/154814606458

​​​​​​Looks like there are small differences between the model. I took off the panels and validated which model I currently have. Wish me luck

Last edited by OrenLed; 05-29-22 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-29-22 | 03:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OrenLed
Perhaps a silly question, but if I'm looking for a (used) OEM unit, does it need to say "Mark Levinson Premium Sound System" like my current one, or any 86120 unit should work?
I see that the connectors for this unit, for example -https://www.ebay.com/itm/165030754639 and different than these https://www.ebay.com/itm/154814606458

​​​​​​Looks like there are small differences between the model. I took off the panels and validated which model I currently have. Wish me luck
Wishing you luck!
Plz don't forget to come back and let us know what you found.

Just for fun, plz consider the dealer does make mistakes quite often just like anyone else, human error.
Not saying you couldn't have amp problems too BUT if you can get an exact head unit replacement cheap on ebay it will make life so much easier to diagnose this cuz you can swap a known good unit in for testing.

And you are correct Mark Levinsen is special and the wiring is different.

PS- we recently had a member have his car totalled by an insurance company due to dealer misdiagnosis and cost of repair exceeding value of car. New owner bought it at auction and came here and fixed it for $100.

Saga can be read here if you like: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...and-c1241.html
Old 05-29-22 | 07:00 PM
OrenLed
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
Just for fun, plz consider the dealer does make mistakes quite often just like anyone else, human error.
Yes, you are right I'm overall very happy with them.

Not saying you couldn't have amp problems too BUT if you can get an exact head unit replacement cheap on ebay it will make life so much easier to diagnose this cuz you can swap a known good unit in for testing.
I just ordered one. I was thinking the same - get the same exat one so I can tell whether it's the amp. Also, my wife wanted us to keep the same type of radio player. Anything with a screen would get the kids way too interested in that part of the car

PS- we recently had a member have his car totalled by an insurance company due to dealer misdiagnosis and cost of repair exceeding value of car. New owner bought it at auction and came here and fixed it for $100.
Saga can be read here if you like: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...and-c1241.html
Thanks for sharing! That's some good reference info for fixing issues in the future
Old 06-01-22 | 05:07 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by OrenLed
I just ordered one. I was thinking the same - get the same exat one so I can tell whether it's the amp. Also, my wife wanted us to keep the same type of radio player. Anything with a screen would get the kids way too interested in that part of the car.
These radio head units are supposed to be put into a "shipping" mode when shipping them. I don't know exactly what that does, but if it has been done, the radio may not work when you install it.

If the head unit has been put in shipping mode, the display will say "SHIP". To get it out of shipping mode, press the LOAD button.
Old 06-04-22 | 10:08 PM
OrenLed
7th Gear

New unit is working great! So glad that it's not the amplifier...