RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 AC question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 06:24 AM
eightch365
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX330 AC question

Hi this is my first Lexus, 2004 RX330 4wd. I just bought it from a private seller. The AC just went out right after purchase; the seller is not responding. The AC button is flashing. It was working during test-drive.

I read on another thread that this is a AC amplifier problem; CL user Rainbird posted a TSB, but that was for a 2007 rx350. Will that part work on a rx330 and fix my problem (the upgraded Air Conditioner Amplifier Assembly, Part #88650-0E02)?

i went on nhtsa.gov to find a TSB for 2004,2005,2006 rx330 but didn’t come up with anything.

Please advise on how I can fix this I’d really appreciate it.

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (06-09-22)
Old 06-08-22, 06:24 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Never heard that ''amplifier''....Really sounds like a a/c magnetic clutch relay, or possibly the a/c refrigerant is either to low or to high a pressure as thats a feature to protect the compressor.
Margate330 (06-09-22)
Old 06-08-22, 06:38 PM
eightch365
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Felix;[url=tel:11304636
11304636]Never heard that ''amplifier''....Really sounds like a a/c magnetic clutch relay, or possibly the a/c refrigerant is either to low or to high a pressure as thats a feature to protect the compressor.

thx for the response. According to videos and other threads I’ve read the rx330 does not have magnetic clutch relay. This is the TSB I’m referring to posted by CL member Rainbird:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...b-ac-light.pdf
Old 06-09-22, 10:43 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by eightch365
thx for the response. According to videos and other threads I’ve read the rx330 does not have magnetic clutch relay. This is the TSB I’m referring to posted by CL member Rainbird:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...b-ac-light.pdf
Welcome to Club Lexus, glad you're here.

For doing any DIY AC work I awlays recommend having a proper set of gauges and checking pressures on both High & Low side as a place to start before doing anything and thinking about "what if's".

Harbor frieght is your friend if you need fast but IMO flying blind doing any AC troubleshooting.
Old 06-09-22, 10:51 AM
eightch365
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
Welcome to Club Lexus, glad you're here.

For doing any DIY AC work I awlays recommend having a proper set of gauges and checking pressures on both High & Low side as a place to start before doing anything and thinking about "what if's".

Harbor frieght is your friend if you need fast but IMO flying blind doing any AC troubleshooting.
Thank you for the response/advice. I set an appt with a mechanic tomorrow, hopefully I can get this figured out.

I am surprised there aren’t more threads/postings about this issue I thought this was a common issue if Lexus put out a TSB for it.
Old 06-09-22, 11:00 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Default AC Light Blinking

Originally Posted by eightch365
Thank you for the response/advice. I set an appt with a mechanic tomorrow, hopefully I can get this figured out.

I am surprised there aren’t more threads/postings about this issue I thought this was a common issue if Lexus put out a TSB for it.
It may be because the official Lexus repair manual tends to leave out a few details about our AC systems from my experience.
In theory see Felix's post above- AC clutch issues- but other wierd things happen that can trigger that blinking AC light.
Happened to me once on a hot and rainy day and I suspect the AC belt may have slipped a tiny amount that was undetectable to me but the AC Amplifier knew it and flashed a light.
Only time it ever happened and it wasn't persistent.

This is why I recommend to always check the refrigerant charge first and verify compressor is running before chasing down anything electrical on our cars.

-> note- AC amplifier is just a fancy name for a small electronic module that controls most of the features of the AC system and is about the side of a pack of ciggs. It lives above the glovebox- very easy to DIY replace and they can fail and also throw this blinking light but it's a false alarm. Ebay is your friend if replacement is needed, dirt cheap.

PS- since there is no threads on this you can come back and post your fix and tell us all about it if ya want for others who may find your info valuable in the future.
Old 06-09-22, 11:10 AM
eightch365
4th Gear

It may be because the official Lexus repair manual tends to leave out a few details about our AC systems from my experience.
In theory see Felix's post above- AC clutch issues- but other wierd things happen that can trigger that blinking AC light.
Happened to me once on a hot and rainy day and I suspect the AC belt may have slipped a tiny amount that was undetectable to me but the AC Amplifier knew it and flashed a light.
Only time it ever happened and it wasn't persistent.

This is why I recommend to always check the refrigerant charge first and verify compressor is running before chasing down anything electrical on our cars.

-> note- AC amplifier is just a fancy name for a small electronic module that controls most of the features of the AC system and is about the side of a pack of ciggs. It lives above the glovebox- very easy to DIY replace and they can fail and also throw this blinking light but it's a false alarm. Ebay is your friend if replacement is needed, dirt cheap.

PS- since there is no threads on this you can come back and post your fix and tell us all about it if ya want for others who may find your info valuable in the future.

thx for the input. I’ll make sure the mechanic checks the refrigerant charge and verify compressor is running at the appt tomorrow. The ac amplifier is $120 on eBay, not bad.
Old 06-09-22, 11:16 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

+1 for Felix cuz he was hovering right around what I suspect to be a common issue for blinking light.
Felix (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 06:59 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

+1 for Felix cuz he was hovering right around what I suspect to be a common issue for blinking light.
Thanx Phil, as thats what, I found on the vehicle I ended up going with, the a/c didn't work...I had a choice of a few 7-8 gen2's from the dealer. A quick hooking up the gauges told, so put a vacuum on it & it ended up needing a charge & its been great for a few yrs now.....