RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Question about rear hatch button 2006 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 08:43 AM
SoIllSam
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about rear hatch button 2006 RX330

I bought this nice 2006 about two months ago and I am really enjoying it. I have a question about the rear hatch. There is a button just above the license plate. Should I be able to activate the power opening by just pushing the button? All other features of the rear hatch seem to work properly. I can use the hatch open function by pushing PWR DOOR on my fob and by using the button up front at the lower left of the steering wheel.

I know the switch is working somewhat, because when I push the rear button I can hear the hatch unlock. I would like to enable this feature, but first I need to know if it really is a feature. Is it included with this model?. I can manually open the hatch by pushing the button and lifting the hatch.

Thanks all.
Old 07-06-22, 08:57 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by SoIllSam
... Should I be able to activate the power opening by just pushing the button? ...
No ...............
The following users liked this post:
SoIllSam (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 01:32 PM
edlexus1
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default of course pushing that button should unlatch the hatch

But I don't think it goes up with power, just manual lift by you. Maybe your car is suffering from the dreaded melted switch cover. If the rubber is all goopy then maybe the switch is not working just right.

Here's a vid that shows how to replace the rubber boot. If melted it is a pain in **** to separate the goopy melted rubber from the switch. Take your time.

cover here:
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by SoIllSam
I bought this nice 2006 about two months ago and I am really enjoying it. I have a question about the rear hatch. There is a button just above the license plate. Should I be able to activate the power opening by just pushing the button? All other features of the rear hatch seem to work properly. I can use the hatch open function by pushing PWR DOOR on my fob and by using the button up front at the lower left of the steering wheel.

I know the switch is working somewhat, because when I push the rear button I can hear the hatch unlock. I would like to enable this feature, but first I need to know if it really is a feature. Is it included with this model?. I can manually open the hatch by pushing the button and lifting the hatch.

Thanks all.
ou

Last edited by edlexus1; 07-06-22 at 02:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by edlexus1:
Felix (07-06-22), SoIllSam (07-07-22)
Old 07-06-22, 04:56 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 293 Likes on 252 Posts

On the RX350, this is a feature that you can have the dealer program. By default, the hatch is non powered from the license plate switch. Personally, I prefer the non power because I can open and close the hatch much faster than the power mode does.
Old 07-06-22, 05:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 997 Likes on 796 Posts

My rear hatch doesn't "auto open" by itself either when pressing the rear button but wife swears it did when we first got the car.

I never changed anything in Techstream but have had the battery unhooked so I will do the reset procedure on all the windows again and see if it comes back.
Thought I saw a member say auto open feature can be enabled in Techstream but I haven't tried so can't confirm.
Old 07-07-22, 03:56 AM
SoIllSam
Rookie

Originally Posted by Margate330
My rear hatch doesn't "auto open" by itself either when pressing the rear button but wife swears it did when we first got the car.

I never changed anything in Techstream but have had the battery unhooked so I will do the reset procedure on all the windows again and see if it comes back.
Thought I saw a member say auto open feature can be enabled in Techstream but I haven't tried so can't confirm.
The guy I bought the car from seem to indicate that it did work when he sold me the car. But I'm a little bit confused about it all.
Old 07-07-22, 09:32 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Our rx hatch doesn't open by itself w/ the button on the hatch. At times I just want to manually open it......
Old 07-07-22, 10:22 AM
edlexus1
Driver

Default are we all talking about the same button?

there's one near the license plate and one on the bottom edge of the door. one on the bottom edge should raise the door with a motor. the one near the license plate is manual...i'm pretty sure.
Old 07-07-22, 10:53 AM
SoIllSam
Rookie

Looks like I'm out of luck.

Thanks anyway.
Old 07-07-22, 11:04 AM
edlexus1
Driver

Default of course you know about the little button in the glove box?

it enables and disables the lift gate when you leave the car with a valet.
Old 07-08-22, 02:05 PM
SoIllSam
Rookie

Originally Posted by edlexus1
it enables and disables the lift gate when you leave the car with a valet.
Yes, I know that one, but it doesn't make any difference in my quest.
Old 07-09-22, 05:04 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

after pressing the button, it is manual lift. it is a good feature to allow access to open the rear door halfway when parked under a low roof .
Old 10-23-22, 09:06 PM
HobieMarty
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2009 RX350 Rear Hatch Switch

So, I have a 2009 RX350 and the rear hatch switch isn't working properly. The hatch will open automatically when you push the button on the dash but if you try to open it with the rear switch it doesn't seem to do anything. Is this a common issue with the 2nd gen RX? I would assume I would just replace the switch and without actually looking at it yet, I would also assume that the interior panel on the hatch would need to be removed in order to gain access to the switch? Also, I am wondering why Lexus didn't have a key hole so the hatch could be opened even if you had a dead battery, found out the hard way. Lol.
Old 10-24-22, 05:36 AM
edlexus1
Driver

Default maybe just gooped up?

Lots of us have been through dealing with this. Maybe you need a new switch, maybe just clean the old one and get a new boot:

Last edited by edlexus1; 10-24-22 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-24-22, 09:11 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

Discussed on Forum. Search
The hatch will automatically open from the button on the dash or from key.

Quick Reply: Question about rear hatch button 2006 RX330