RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does '120k Service Performed' Really Mean That at Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 10:03 AM
clicc916
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does '120k Service Performed' Really Mean That at Lexus?

Just bought a 2008 400h with ~150k miles. It has great service records through a Lexus dealership from 0-current miles but I was wondering if when the dealership description mentions "120k service", do they really mean they did everything that's recommended or do they only do what's written in the description? My main question is whether or not the trans fluid was flushed.

Here's the recommended 120k service according to Lexus (trans oil replacement emphasis mine):
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Engine/Inverter Coolant (Refer to "Engine/Inverter Coolant" in the "Explanation of Maintenance Items" section.)
  • Inspect Rear Differential Oil (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)
  • Inspect Variable Gear Ratio Steering Assembly, if Equipped
  • Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs (Thickness Measurement And Runout.)
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Engine Valve Clearance (Check for tappet noise and engine vibration and adjust if necessary.)
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Transmission Fluid/Oil
  • Replace Spark Plugs (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)

And here's the description of the service performed according to Lexus' service history (verbatim):
144 MONTHS/120,000 MILE SERVICE. REPL ENGINE OIL & FILTER,BRAKE FLUID,AIR & A/C FILTERS,SPARK PLUG ~|~144 MONTHS/120,000 MILE SERVICE. REPL ENGINE OIL & FILTER,BRAKE FLUID,AIR & A/C FILTERS,SPARK PLUGS,ROTATE TIRES,TIGHTEN AXLE SHAFT BOOTS.INSP BRAKES,TIRES,HOSES,BELTS,BATTERY.SET TIRE PRESSURE,RESET MAINT LAMP & ROAD TEST ~|~ ~|~118837 540 PERFORMED 120K TIRES 6 32ND FRONT AND REAR TPMS LIGHT IS ON WILL REQUIRE SENSORS REPLACED BRAKES 7MM FRONT REAR 8MM

I didn't see the tech write in a trans oil replacement, though they did mention a lot of the other 120k items that were recommended. Just wanted to know if I should prep to do this myself. I understand that many of you would probably recommend major work anyway, regardless of service records but this will help alleviate any worries about actual service performed on my car. Any help or direction appreciated, thanks!
The following users liked this post:
SJM (07-19-22)
Old 07-11-22, 10:29 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 483 Likes on 419 Posts

That looks like a 30k inpection....I'd also add as for some reason IDK why they wouldn't mention it = clean the 3 air vent filters for battery cooling motors, right below the rear seat. Crital to do for hybrid battery life, a 10mm socket hooked to a 1/4 drive electric impact after removing the two little clips/doors on each side of the vents. Got to like how it mentions ''Inspect valve clearence'' How by the lifter noise & vibration? LOL......If its a solid lifter, why wouldn't you do it? 3mz use buckets/shims, I'd check it at 60-80K I've had a couple solid lifter motor cars. One w/ roller rockers, 30-30 Duntov cam in a 301......
The following users liked this post:
SJM (07-19-22)
Old 07-11-22, 10:41 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 187 Posts

IMHO - No, look at the description.