RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Help!! All Cylinder misfire on 2007 rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 06:52 PM
markhazed
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help!! All Cylinder misfire on 2007 rx 350

2007 Lexus Rx 350 120k miles The ignition coil and spark plugs never changed.

This afternoon my car engine was showing abnormal running signs sometimes. After scanning, I got codes: " P0354, P0300, P0301, P0302,P0303,P0304, P0305, P0306." It means all 6 cylinders misfire detected and ignition coil D primary/secondary circuit malfunction. Does any knows the possible reasons other than ignition coil and spark plugs's problem? For example, something wrong with computer chips? sensors? air intake system? or exhaust system?
It's weird to have all cylinders misfire detected at the same time.

Thanks!

Last edited by markhazed; 07-19-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 07:59 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Your issue sounds very similar to what's described in this video.
The P0354 indicates an issue with Coil #4. Swap #4 coil with either #2 or #6 on the front bank and see if the code changes.
If no change, swap the coils back, and then swap spark plug #4 with either plug #2 or #6.
That's where I would start.

A little more information on these coil codes can be found here.
"The letter coincides with the cylinder, ie. A = #1, B = #2, etc. and indicated you have a failing ignition coil."

Last edited by spinellib; 07-18-22 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 05:15 AM
markhazed
Rookie

Thanks spinellib,

I did went over this video. Currently, I would like to replace all coils and plugs due to the 12k miles on the car and they were never been replaced, Just want to know the possible reason behind this.

Appreciate for your information!!
Old 07-19-22, 07:35 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Hi markhazed, you have very low miles.

Am I reading that right at only 12,000 miles?
Have you been driving the car regularly and it's been running good before these codes popped up or has it sat for a long time and have codes on getting it running?

I agree with Spenilli- I'd swap out or replace the coil on the cylinder #4 for P0354 first.
This is a very specific code that says the Engine ECM is not receiving a feedback pulse indicating sucessful spark for that cylinder.
The other codes are "generic misfire codes" that can be caused by a number of different things so I'd work on the P0354 code first too.

If any other work done or details on the car that can help us diagnose what's going on, plz tell the story.
Old 07-19-22, 07:42 AM
markhazed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi markhazed, you have very low miles.

Am I reading that right at only 12,000 miles?
Have you been driving the car regularly and it's been running good before these codes popped up or has it sat for a long time and have codes on getting it running?

I agree with Spenilli- I'd swap out or replace the coil on the cylinder #4 for P0354 first.
This is a very specific code that says the Engine ECM is not receiving a feedback pulse indicating sucessful spark for that cylinder.
The other codes are "generic misfire codes" that can be caused by a number of different things so I'd work on the P0354 code first too.

If any other work done or details on the car that can help us diagnose what's going on, plz tell the story.
Apologize!!! It 120K. 120,000 miles.

Did some research which the information claim that coils and plugs need to be replace on coil 100K miles and plugs 60k miles. So, planning to replace the 3 easy coils and plugs to see if it works well and if the gas consumption getting better. Just want to get some idea if there are any other possible reasons.

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 07-19-22, 06:42 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by markhazed
Apologize!!! It 120K. 120,000 miles.

Did some research which the information claim that coils and plugs need to be replace on coil 100K miles and plugs 60k miles. So, planning to replace the 3 easy coils and plugs to see if it works well and if the gas consumption getting better. Just want to get some idea if there are any other possible reasons.

Thanks a lot!!!
Do it right the 1st time, Use Denso plugs.....As you know, thats a few miles on plugs. I'd at least replace the coils for 1,3 & 5(bank 1)= the hard rear bank.......No e-bay coils either......
Old 07-20-22, 05:12 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I wouldn't do it the ghetto way of front, and then waiting it out. Don't throw money at something without a proper diagnosis...
P0354 - would be the "main" culprit, as cyl #4 is causing the other subsequent issues.

Swap that one (#4) with another coil, then test with the check engine (it would turn into P0352 or P0356) after a short drive... or just go and get a new OEM Denso coil. No 25$ aftermarket junk on these engines.

Plugs were due at 100k. No need to change everything, not required. Some suggest camshaft position sensors, but I don't think so.

Regardless, some additional reading for you, confirming what I wrote, as your "research" is simply inaccurate lol

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...osing.1416402/
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/p0...0-miles.81955/
Old 07-20-22, 05:20 AM
markhazed
Rookie

Felix, 01LEXPL

thank you all for the information.
Old 07-20-22, 04:43 PM
markhazed
Rookie

Felix, 01LEXPL

thank you all for the information.
Just got the whole set of coils, plugs (all DENSO OEM from Rockauto)and a socket. Will replace the easy 3 coils & plugs. Will replace the hard 3 later. It's so hot coming weeks. Will keep update.

Last edited by markhazed; 07-20-22 at 04:49 PM.
Felix (07-20-22)
Old 07-20-22, 05:43 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 190 Posts

>>>> Will replace the hard 3 later.

If replacing bank 2 does nor fix it, then while doing the hard bank 1, I would do a compression check (all plugs out) once you are in that deep to eliminate mechanical issues like valves, rings, which are hard to diagnose by using electrical parts canon. gl.
Old 07-22-22, 06:54 AM
markhazed
Rookie

Default Codes disappeared for now

Lable and remove

Remove coils

Remove the plugs

Install the new plugs

Install the new coils

Finished installing

Plug the harnesses.

Scanning the codes

Just got the whole set of coils, plugs (all DENSO OEM from Rockauto)and a socket. Will replace the easy 3 coils & plugs. Will replace the hard 3 later. It's so hot coming weeks. Will keep update.
Update

THanks Mesquite77.

Replaced the 3 easy coils & plugs this morning before sun rise. Scanned the car and the codes disappeared. Started the car for 5munites and the light wasn't coming back. Will do test drive later. Will monitoring the gas consumption for this replacement. Will find a cool day replace hard 3. Will keep update.

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by markhazed:
fred9xx (07-22-22), SJM (07-29-22)
Old 07-22-22, 09:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Good job markhazed!

Hopefully the codes will stay away.
Just FYI, if you have ants in the pants to pop those new coils on the rear bank it may be possible to do cylinder 1 and cylinder #5, at least it is on the RX330- but it's TIGHT and very little room to work like doing surgery.

I can hit coil for cylinder #3 too with just removing the flexible air pipe and since the plug clip is broken and I can push the connector off.
Don't recommend doing plugs like this tho since can't see what you're doing or torque them properly and a loose plug will destroy the head.

PS- you will love this plug socket with extension(your pic above), especially on back bank. Makes it so much easier and don;t have to worry anout socket falling off in the plug hole on back of engine.
SJM (07-29-22)
Old 07-22-22, 09:38 AM
markhazed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Margate330
Good job markhazed!

Hopefully the codes will stay away.
Just FYI, if you have ants in the pants to pop those new coils on the rear bank it may be possible to do cylinder 1 and cylinder #5, at least it is on the RX330- but it's TIGHT and very little room to work like doing surgery.

I can hit coil for cylinder #3 too with just removing the flexible air pipe and since the plug clip is broken and I can push the connector off.
Don't recommend doing plugs like this tho since can't see what you're doing or torque them properly and a loose plug will destroy the head.
Just because it was so hot out side, and I want to finish it as soon as possible. Did not have time to shoot the video. So, just take a picture then post. The loose and tight was very careful. Tight with whit exactly the lbs of requirement. Even though,
PS- you will love this plug socket with extension(your pic above), especially on back bank. Makes it so much easier and don;t have to worry anout socket falling off in the plug hole on back of engine.
Yes, exactly. I choose this plug socket because a couple of YTbers recommend this one with 10 inches' bar. It all for the "harder 3" replacement.
One thing as reminder is the harness connecter. All clips of the connecter was broken when I tried to unplug the coils. I think that's because of 15 year close to engine. Will tight it up with coils later.

Last edited by markhazed; 07-22-22 at 09:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by markhazed:
fred9xx (07-22-22), SJM (07-29-22)
Old 07-22-22, 03:10 PM
fred9xx
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if those clips are supposed to come off? Two days ago I changed the front 3 plugs in my 2009 RX with 207,000 miles. When I pulled apart the first one I also thought I broke off the thin tab. I was more careful on the second and third ones but the clips on those two also came apart. I don’t recall cracking sounds?.
Old 07-22-22, 03:58 PM
markhazed
Rookie

Originally Posted by fred9xx
I wonder if those clips are supposed to come off? Two days ago I changed the front 3 plugs in my 2009 RX with 207,000 miles. When I pulled apart the first one I also thought I broke off the thin tab. I was more careful on the second and third ones but the clips on those two also came apart. I don’t recall cracking sounds?.
I did experienced exactly same. To my understanding, those small clips were for lock the connecters to the coils. However, 14, 15 years close to the engine, the plastic connectors would be aging seriously. I believe that is the reason. I am planning to use wires to tied up the connectors to the coils. I can imagine how difficult to do it for "hard 3" replacement.
SJM (07-29-22)

Quick Reply: Help!! All Cylinder misfire on 2007 rx 350