RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 05:51 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 577 Posts

Just picked up some Magnaflow 14325 mufflers for the RX yesterday! This is one of the final pieces of the puzzle before I can start building the system!

✅ Headers (Weapon R - #953-204-121)
❌ Catalytic converters (2x 8" Magnaflow cat 2.25" in/out - #53955)
✅ 02 bungs (M18 x 1.5)
❌ Front pipe bank 2 (Needs to be custom made and enlarged to 2.25")
❌ Rear pipe bank 1 (Needs to be custom made to fit rear header)
❌ X-pipe (Needs to be custom made or bought)
✅ Middle resonator (22" oval resonator 2.25" in / 2.5" out from 2015-2022 Mustang GT)
✅ Rear mufflers (2x 14" Magnaflow muffler 2.25" in/out - #14325)
✅ Exhaust tips (9" angled tips w/ chrome finish from 2011-2014 Mustang GT)

After measuring the area, these are about the largest mufflers you can fit in the area with the spare tire in place. The location of the pipe inlets & outlets allow you to stuff some more of the muffler behind the bumper for some extra muffling vs the coffee can stock resonator. Any longer and they'll stick out too much, any taller and they'll sit too low, and any wider and they'll contact the spare tire and bumper sides. Just right! Unlike the stock setup, I am relocating the mufflers to the rear of the car like a 2001-2003 Highlander or 1999-2003 RX300, and moving the resonator to the middle of the car. Our cars have a little round "can" resonator out back but a massive baffled oval muffler in the middle. You can run slightly smaller mufflers (Like what the 01-03 HL and 99-03 RX do) if you make up for it with a larger resonator. I will be using some of the unused (possibly trailer hitch) M10x1.25 bolt holes on the driver's side of the car to mount a custom exhaust hanger to hold the driver's side muffler of the dual exhaust.

If this goes according to plan like the Highlander, this exhaust system will flow a heck of a lot better (in this case WAY better than that), look a lot nicer, give me some more sound without being too loud or drone-filled and have less bends while tucking away closer to the frame to save over 1" of ground clearance. Using the flatter oval mufflers at the back vs the stock can resonator helps too, but the major one is the muffler in the middle which is twice as tall as the new Mustang one going in! I was originally going to run dual Vibrant 1105 or 1129 15" mufflers out back, but I found the Magnaflows locally for just too good of a deal to turn down.

- Exhaust specs (stock) -
Muffler: 23" long, 12" wide, 6" tall
Resonator: 9" long, 6" diameter
Tip: 7" long

- Exhaust specs (new) -
Mufflers: 14" long, 9" wide, 4" tall - 9 lbs ea
Resonator: 22" long, 9" wide, 3" tall - 16 lbs
Tip: 9" long

The following 2 users liked this post by MattRX:
MheityRX (03-16-24), spinellib (05-21-23)
Old 08-26-24, 03:32 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by MheityRX
I got lucky! Oh.. not that way - hah! EXHAUST: The guys at JC Muffler, Oregon USA really did some nice work for me. When I told them my brother used to race dirt bikes (they do race stuff too) and I had seen pictures of the squashed together oem Y pipe on this forum - they cut the old one out with a saw and brought it in to show me!! Studying the pictures I took post install -- they really did a lot of quality work (welds and bends etc) for the measly fee they charged me. I think this is the mother of all 3.3 Y pipes(!): 2.5 in 2.5 out. Wow! They combo'd it with a Borla muffler and the stock resonator (unfortunately I neglected to fully absorb info from MattRX on muffler choices - but luckily I would not go with a straight-pipe without really knowing what I was going for, and I think(?) they made a pretty sensible choice. The guys said this would help wake it up, and it has certainly has. I think this has really changed the character of the engine - which in turn has changed the character of the whole car for me. I have a K&N filter which also made a difference (I will run the Purolator filter when I work/camp/drive in dusty forest service roads - thanks MattRX for the filter post). Initial observations: noticeable audio and throttle difference, while not being too loud (very subjective). I got the audio feedback and pedal connection I was hoping for (my first v6). The exhaust sound is a little gurgly in spots on the low rev(?) but it can be quiet-cruising or give you a responsive tone/feel with a downshift etc. Not too bad at start up with noise for neighbors or off from a stop light. It could be a hair quieter,smoother? I will have to live with it to see. It may not be that much louder than stock - at this point I am hard of hearing anyway. I think my mom (who loved the muffler sound on the old 240z) would approve - but this set up is a little more aggressive still. Here is a pic of that lucky-score-Y-pipe. Looks bone stock from the back.
Oh, Wow, the work those guys did for you looks awesome. This what I need to do next.......Little ways down there, thou.