RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How do my timing marks look? Do I need to remove the cover and try again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22 | 07:07 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Default How do my timing marks look? Do I need to remove the cover and try again?

https://youtube.com/shorts/wBeUt2_Deak?feature=share
Old 11-07-22 | 10:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rx330fnboi
https://youtube.com/shorts/wBeUt2_Deak?feature=share
Hi RX330fnboi, I will post my reply here instead of your other thread since you made a good thread title and I think others will be able to find it in the future when they need it.

Screenshot from OP's video from link above.

Looks off.
Can you plz give a huge favor and use the paint marker and draw a straight line down from the timing notch in the rear cam cover to the timing belt so we can see better.
Then roll the Tbelt up to the marks dead nuts and take pics straight on.

PS- if you have already turned the engine over by hand, the Tbelt marks won't line up any more because of the odd # of teeth on the belt so plz put the cam sprocket marks dead on the rear timing cover marks instead(with paint crayon on the rear timing cover for visibility and reference).

What ya'll think?
Is it off???

Last edited by Margate330; 11-07-22 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-07-22 | 11:37 AM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi RX330fnboi, I will post my reply here instead of your other thread since you made a good thread title and I think others will be able to find it in the future when they need it.

Screenshot from OP's video from link above.

Looks off.
Can you plz give a huge favor and use the paint marker and draw a straight line down from the timing notch in the rear cam cover to the timing belt so we can see better.
Then roll the Tbelt up to the marks dead nuts and take pics straight on.

PS- if you have already turned the engine over by hand, the Tbelt marks won't line up any more because of the odd # of teeth on the belt so plz put the cam sprocket marks dead on the rear timing cover marks instead(with paint crayon on the rear timing cover for visibility and reference).

What ya'll think?
Is it off???
they were dead on but then the mark on the belt was off a cog on the front cam. I followed the instructional video by hardly moving productions which I think is the best out there. He instructs that the crank should be rotated back a cog to ease tension on the belt then after you get the belt on put the crank back to the correct tdc marking to tighten the belt up. When I did this the cams were over advanced by a hair. But the crank was dead on then I tried moving the cams by a hair to line them ip and when they are lined up the crank appears over advanced.

so I prioritized having the crank at tdc and when the crank is at tdc the cams are behind a hair.

what should I do to get it perfect.

Ps. I have not rotated the crank
Old 11-08-22 | 04:54 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

I took better screenshots and highlighted the markings

Old 11-09-22 | 12:22 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

I would rotate the crank by hand 2 complete revs. If valves hit pistons it will be very obvious, and won't damage them by hand. Even with chains, timing marks and angles are hard to line up in pics, they look ok to me. If turns by hand ok, then I would carry on, but my exp is with chains, and they always seem 1/4 tooth off or so on one of the cams.
Old 11-11-22 | 04:12 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

I think I may have used the wrong mark on the sprocket as TDC. I’m going to open her back up tomorow, clip the belt on the cam sprockets since they are dead on, then remove the tensioner take the belt off the crank and make sure the crank is in perfect alignment before reinstalling the belt. Then I’ll make sure everything is within 2mm before reinstalling the tensioner.

Does that plan sound like a good one?
The following users liked this post:
Savnout (11-23-22)
Old 11-23-22 | 04:51 AM
Savnout
Driver

Since this is a few weeks old I'm guessing you solved your problem? They looked ok to me, I guess you could bar it over by hand, if nothing hits the pistons, you should be fine. If it hard starts, might be timing off.
Old 11-23-22 | 08:51 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Savnout
Since this is a few weeks old I'm guessing you solved your problem? They looked ok to me, I guess you could bar it over by hand, if nothing hits the pistons, you should be fine. If it hard starts, might be timing off.
I wasn’t feeling full confidence so I opened it up and re installed the belt and tensioner. The pics posted with the white paint pen marks are the second try and it was definitely much closer. I didn’t turn the engine over by hand yet but I have to install the torque converter to flex plate bolts tomorow or the day after. Going to wake up in 7 hours and do about 4 hours of work in the morning buttoning things up now that I got the engine and transaxle mated today
Old 11-23-22 | 08:54 PM
Rx330fnboi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Savnout
I wasn’t feeling full confidence so I opened it up and re installed the belt and tensioner. The pics posted with the white paint pen marks are the second try and it was definitely much closer. I didn’t turn the engine over by hand yet but I have to install the torque converter to flex plate bolts tomorow or the day after. Going to wake up in 7 hours and do about 4 hours of work in the morning buttoning things up now that I got the engine and transaxle mated today

oh wait I didn’t post the pics of the second attempt but here they are.