RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Surge and then engine off, won't restart 07 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 08:17 PM
07RX350AU
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Surge and then engine off, won't restart 07 RX350

Hi everyone,
First post and just registered so please excuse any forum rules broken.

I bought an 07 RX350 from auction and with 0 service history, so please don't have any sympathy, though help would be greatly appreciated!

It has 450k on the clock and had the usual "vvt death rattle" noise at cold but then would sound smooth after warming up.

I took off quickly from lights and continued onto the highway to about 100kmh at near full throttle.

Pulled up at the next highway off ramp and the engine surged and then died with no pedal input - The car had just started to use about 5-10% more fuel prior to the incident.

I had done about 1200kms on the car before this happened and it ran smoothly and started first try until this incident.

The car will not start since, - it sounds like a tiny bit of fuel gets in and it tries to but cannot fire.

The car didn't overheat or show any signs of coolant or oil leaks.

Reading from this forum,, and due to an incorrect reading on the fuel pump, I thought it was that and replaced the fuel pump.
The denso pump was fine although covered in "varnish" but I replaced it anyway as I was there.

Unfortunately this hasn't changed the issue at all.

Also unfortunately, I do not have any codes on the dash or from a cheap bluetooth scanner.(elm327)

My friend has suggested the timing chain, if it is this would any of you recommend doing this without dropping the engine?

I bought the Haynes manual for the model (07 RX350 Sports Luxury) but it pretty much says it can't be done without pulling out the engine - does anyone have real world experience to the contrary please?

I don't have an engine crane, let alone a car hoist, am I dreaming about being able to do too much to the 2GR-FE without pulling it out?

Are there other things I may have missed before moving to timing chain? This is my first Lexus as I am a reformed Saab addict who has moved to Lexus for reliability

Thank you for reading and especially if you can assist.

Cheers
Joel
Old 11-16-22, 09:09 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

You moved to Lexus for reliability but you got a Lexus with 450K, and through an auction house. This is double trouble for any brand. I saw a Car Care video where a timing cover leak was being addressed on a RX 350 and the mechanic said removing the engine was the only way to do the repair for this model. However the current diagnosis appears to be a guess. The car needs to be seen by a pro mechanic. I would check the obvious - clean the throttle body and MAF sensor.
Old 11-16-22, 09:34 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11364058
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11388694
The following users liked this post:
07RX350AU (11-20-22)
Old 11-20-22, 03:51 PM
07RX350AU
4th Gear

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
You moved to Lexus for reliability but you got a Lexus with 450K, and through an auction house. This is double trouble for any brand. I saw a Car Care video where a timing cover leak was being addressed on a RX 350 and the mechanic said removing the engine was the only way to do the repair for this model. However the current diagnosis appears to be a guess. The car needs to be seen by a pro mechanic. I would check the obvious - clean the throttle body and MAF sensor.
Thank you to you both for your replies.
I actually think the mileage already speaks to the quality, and I doubt it was looked after in its later years as people don't usually dispose of a good service history!
To my amazement, everything worked on the vehicle as far as the bells and whistles went, for a car of its age that was another pleasant surprise.

The engine I assumed would be toast, due to the miles and ghost history, but everything else including tyres was in such good condition for the price I took a chance and expected an engine swap.
The car was purchased registered and running for very cheap, so I don't mind spending some time and money on a "new" low mile import engine, but also find it strange it has gone from running so well to dead from a single acceleration with no heat, leaks or noise.

I did clean the MAF and apologise for not mentioning that, but I haven't checked the throttle body so thank you.
I also checked all fuses and the fuel relay.

I'm not a mechanic by any description and may have to get one in eventually, but I would like to assess whether I am swapping out the engine and rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic first,before spending too much on its current engine.

It seems strange that it wont throw up a code, but that may just be my crappy cheap blue tooth code scanner.
I also noticed a constant whine from the engine bay when the key in is the on position, that may be the fuel pump staying on but not sure, I will pinpoint or at least record the tone in the hope someone recognises it.

Thanks again for the leads and I will continue reading the kind vvt links and clean the throttle body and return with any news, good or bad.
Cheers

Last edited by 07RX350AU; 11-20-22 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added other things I had checked
Old 11-20-22, 04:44 PM
07RX350AU
4th Gear

Thank you iMSQ, both of those links are great and it is good to know it is still doable with my tools. I do have a jack and stands and ramps, and a driveway.
Sounds like a recipe for "All the gear and no idea"
Old 11-20-22, 04:53 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RX350AU
Unfortunately, I do not have any codes on the dash or from a cheap bluetooth scanner.(elm327)
Welcome to Club Lexus, glad you are here and thank you for the detailed info.

Already great posts above, can I plz add.
I'm not familiar with the Elm327 but something doesn't add up.
You should be having several codes on a failed start if the timing chain slipped so I think it is too early to condemn the engine.

Have you cracked the banjo bolt on the fuel rail just a little to see if you are getting fuel to the injectors? > this should be done with caution on a cold engine and using saftey precautions of course and maybe some rags to catch any leaked gas.

A failed or failing Copen relay(see below) can cause your symptom of "no start" and "no codes".
It powers the fuel pump and other stuff.. I'd also check the IGCT relay too and look for a cracked or bad fuse IGCT no. 3(see below).
(posted in fair use for commentary and discussion)

Last edited by Margate330; 11-20-22 at 04:58 PM.